Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode 1: The Arrival; Rasya and Teddy @ Cerberus
Topic Started: Sep 4 2016, 11:04 AM (811 Views)
Rabbit
Straight Outta Eavesdown
In the wake of Darwin's escape, Cerberus Security was abuzz. Officially, a threat to the security and safety of Eavesdown had been neutralized. Unofficially, the escape of that threat was a rare failure for the organization. PR was in full-on spin mode, nearly everyone else was in panic mode. The offices at Cerberus were in perpetual motion, everyone moving and working double-time to keep the damage done to a minimum.

That made it the perfect day for a new employee to start, naturally.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Saxon
Member Avatar

Babysitting duty.

Of all the things he could be doing right now, he'd drawn babysitting duty. He was fairly certain it wasn't by chance, it was almost absolutely down to something he'd done to piss off someone or another. While he'd been waiting, he'd been trying to figure out who. Unfortunately, after five minutes he'd realized that list was pretty damn long, and moved on to figuring out the best way to give the new Medical Examiner and her assistant a tour of the place.

He stood by the door, watching as his colleagues swirled around the offices of Cerberus Security. The place had been a mess since Ajax and his crew had blown their op a few days ago. He would never say the words 'blown op' to Ajax to his face, of course. That dude was one scary niang. Not to be trifled with. Especially not by someone as relatively new to the game as Saxon was.

He'd been waiting nearly twenty minutes - not having anything better to do meant he was ready a bit early in case the newbies showed up early. He'd learned that people liked to be annoyingly early. But wasn't being early just as bad as being late? Showing up early meant that it would be entirely possible the people you were intending to meet weren't ready for you? That's annoying, right? Really, really annoying.

Of course, if you're prepared for someone to show up early, and they don't show up early, isn't that annoying, too?

Someone bumped into him from behind, breaking his rambling line of thought. He shook his head and watched the door again for a moment. He was already sort of annoyed, and he hadn't even met these people yet...

Rasya Emer
Member Avatar

First days are always the worst. Rasya woke up in her hotel room bed already dreading the prospects of having to put up her front of normalcy to play nice with others. She rubbed the sleep from her eye, blinking and looking around the tiny room while she sat up and slipped her bare feet into her slippers. She felt exactly like a plant that had been uprooted and moved into another pot - but that's life - it would take time to spring back after getting her roots settled.

Her corpad laid on top of the bedside table. She couldn't remember a time when it was used as much as it had been in the past few days. Music. That's what she needed. Reaching over, she turned the pad on and looked at her selection of tunes she hadn't changed or looked at since she attended university. Memories of school flooded her mind, unfortunately not the good ones. Scrolling through her list, everything reminded her of him; definitely not the mood she was looking for. Music you may like. On one hand it may do the trick - new music she had no emotional attachment to - on the other hand it was something new and new things usually took her a long time to warm up to.

"Oh, why not. Everything else is new today." Rasya conceded, clicking on the first track of the suggested playlist. There were a few cheerful chords played out on piano with a driving beat in the background. Before she knew it, she was tapping her foot by the time the musician sang 'Why don't you like me? Why don't you like me without making me try?' and smiling at the chorus, 'I can be brown, I can be blue, I can be violet sky... I can be hurtful, I can be purple, I can be anything you like...'. Standing up, she gave a spin on the ball of her foot and picked up the dress suit she had set up the night before, taking it into the small bathroom to take a quick shower to get ready.

----------

With one earpiece in, she had continued listening to the suggested music, delving into French songs - knowing enough to know the current song was about what somebody was telling the artist, seemingly the most important advice was to dance because they were wasting their life. If she hadn't been out in public she might have just done so.

Walking up to the Cerberus building, she took in a deep breath and glanced at the inside of her wrist to her watch - about eight minutes early. Hopefully it wouldn't take too long to find where she was to go. She hated trying to time things out when she wasn't sure exactly what she was doing. She was the type when she said she'd be there in 'five minutes' she would be there in five minutes - give or take a minute - if she wasn't, you could be sure something had gone wrong. Pushing on, she entered the building, hiking up the strap of her suitcase as she proceeded to the front desk. She cleared her throat, taking the earpiece out from her ear, "Pardon," she said, trying to catch anyone's attention, "I'm the new hire here. Would it be too much to ask for a bit of sorting, ya? I can try to find it myself if you can't be fagged at the mo." she said properly. Needless to say, Persephone would be the first time she had been away from Londinium.
Posted Image

Teddy Mayweather
Member Avatar

"So, I mean, I'm not really sure what to expect. I've never actually touched a dead body before. I saw a lot at the hospital while I was working there, but that's different, you know? Like, I'm excited, but what if they feel gross, or fall apart when I touch them? Will I get in trouble for that? I don't see why I would; bodies just fall apart naturally, right?"

"Teddy..."

"But then again, I don't think I'll be touching any bodies anyway. I'm just supposed to do my usual computer stuff. Least, I think that's all I'm gonna be doing. I'm not really sure; I'll have to ask my boss. I hope she's nice…"

"Teddy."

"She will be. I know she will be. And if she's not, I'll just have to make her come around somehow. I don't know any good jokes, though…I'll have to find some on the Cortex."

"Teddy!"

The third time was the charm. Teddy shook his head at the sound of his name, his eyes refocusing on his Corpad screen. He smiled sheepishly at the sight of a familiar look of exasperation from his older sister Cindi.

"Sorry, I'm talking too much again, huh?"

Cindi nodded, smiling as her little brother settled down, unconsciously fiddling with a ring on one of his fingers. "Yes, you are. I know you're excited for your first day, but try not to talk anyone to death, okay?"

Teddy laughed, the sound a loud bark that filled his small hotel room. "I won't," he promised. "Haven't done it yet, and that would probably be a bad way to start off a new job."

"Speaking of starting..." Cindi's gaze moved away from Teddy, glancing at something off-screen. "What time did you say you were supposed to be at the office today?"

Teddy shrugged, unconcerned. "I've still got time. I don't have to be there for another..." He trailed off as his eyes strayed to the corner of his Corpad screen where the time was displayed. Then, his eyes went wide. "Crap! I'm supposed to be there in ten minutes! I gotta go! Loveyousisbye!"

Before Cindi could say anything else, Teddy cut their connection, stuffing his Corpad in the pocket of his pants as he frantically struggled to put on his shoes. As soon as that was done he tore out of his hotel room as fast as his legs would take him.

Approximately twelve minutes later, Teddy raced through the door of Cerberus Security, skidding to a stop as he saw the chaos that had overtaken all in the office. Everyone looked like they had somewhere to be right this very instant, and he couldn't see anything to direct him or give him some hint of what to do next. So, he did the only thing he could think of. He reached out, touching the shoulder of the nearest person he set his eyes on.

"Scuse me. My name's Teddy and I'm here to help the coroner out with computer stuff. Do you know where she is?"
Edited by Teddy Mayweather, Sep 4 2016, 10:41 PM.

Saxon
Member Avatar

He had been contemplating his career path when a whirlwind of red hair flew by him, making its way purposefully toward the reception desk. His head whipped around after it, watching as it took the form of a woman in a smart suit. His eyebrows shot up in a hurry and he tried to eavesdrop on her, hoping...

"Pardon, I'm the new hire here. Would it be too much to ask for a bit of sorting, ya? I can try to find it myself if you can't be fagged at the mo."

He couldn't believe his ears. Well, mostly because he wasn't entirely sure that what they'd heard was an actual language. But there were bits he did understand, namely the words 'new hire' which meant that babysitting duty just got a whole lot better.

He hurriedly made his way over to the woman, his flak vest thumping heavily along with his boots. The receptionist looked as if she were about to answer, but he checked her down with a quick headnod and sidled in alongside the new arrival.

"Hi, hey. I'm Saxon, I'm your guide today." The words came out with a cool confidence that he didn't know he'd had in him. From the front she was just as beautiful as he'd imagined, a far sight better than Ajax and the normal brand of soldier of fortune that tended to find work around here. If this was what office work was going to be like, he thought maybe he'd apply for a transfer to a desk. "You must be the, ah, medical examiner. I guess I'm going to be the one to show you the ropes and all that. But, yeah, um, welcome to Cerberus Security."

He looked around the offices, trying to even remember the layout of the place. He was fairly sure their destination was toward the back. He straightened his posture, then, and gave the woman the full force of his attention. "If you'd be so kind as to follow along, I'll give you the nickel tour of the place. Can I take your bag? I should probably offer to take your bag, huh? Or is that not professional? I.." He felt that confidence crackling, realizing he had no idea what the rutt he was doing. "Anyway, um.. this way." He then started off toward the backside of the building, leading her along, feeling like he was forgetting something.

Bastet
Member Avatar

[Cerberus Security - Main Lobby]

Gorram men mucked everything up. It was a well-known fact. Nearly every major blunder in history had been perpetrated by a man. Most of the world's most famous traitors were men. So it shocked her right to hell and back that men were continuously put into the point positions, even once Earth-That-Was was left behind and a new frontier was explored and colonized by both men and women.

It wasn't that she hated men. Far from it. But it chapped her ass that men seemed to get the priority over women. Maybe not officially, but there were so many channels to navigate, and somewhere along the way was some misogynist hundan who would decide 'Hey, maybe send a man to do it.'

But maybe this time, things would be different. The golden boy of Cerberus Security had flubbed things up something major, and rumor had it that a bunch of women did the deed. Reports varied, but she liked to imagine that a couple of tiny chicks beat up on Ajax. He could stand to be brought down a peg or three. And, maybe, if the reports were true, someone along the chain would realize that she was the one who should be leading the next mission. After all, she'd been busting her hump around this place for three years.

Speaking of humps, that idiot Saxon was standing by the door, looking like a buffoon. Well, he was a buffoon, so she supposed looking like one came naturally. He'd been rightfully assigned babysitting detail, which was about all he was good for. He was an okay shot, but his discipline left something to be desired. She figured he wouldn't last long around here. It had been a few months, and she supposed this latest distraction would keep eyes off of him for a little while. But, eventually, his ineptitude would catch up to him. She could only hope that would happen before he got someone killed.

A woman came in then, looking really professional. The new ME, if she had to guess. Ever since Cerberus had taken over policing of Eavesdown, they'd had to take on the other law enforcement and investigative duties, as well. She didn't hold anything against the labrats, really. Especially not the women. They had to fight twice as hard to make it in a scientific field, even if everyone pretended that this was an egalitarian society. You go, girlfriend. It wasn't long before Saxon bumbled over to the new arrival and led her away, bumping into something as he left the reception area. Bastet shook her head and sighed, and returned to her reports.

Then, there was a touch on her shoulder. A light one, timid, almost. But it was there. She wheeled around to face the offender, only to see a very boyish young man standing there. She was tall enough that she could look him right in the eyes.

"Scuse me. My name's Teddy and I'm here to help the coroner out with computer stuff. Do you know where she is?"

Her eyebrows furrowed. Of course, Saxon had left without everyone he needed to show around. That was just typical. She tried not to take it out on this kid too much, but her disappointment in the situation was hard to conceal.

"Teddy, right. Well, Teddy, your tour guide already took off with your boss. I'm guessing you're late. Word of advice: don't do that. It's not going to win you any favors around here." She turned her head in the direction Saxon had taken the newbie, only to find that they were both well out of sight. She sighed. "Can't let you wander around in here all by yourself, so you'd better stick with me. I don't wanna hear any questions or comments out of you, though, Teddy. Save 'em for the babysitter, dong ma?"

When he was ready, she would be taking him toward the morgue, as well.

Rasya Emer
Member Avatar

It was the sound of nearly being bum-rushed that caught Rasya's attention first. The heavy steps approaching her from outside her vision had her turning her head to be sure she would be out of harm's way. Instead of being physically accosted, however, it seems she had been provided with armoured detail. "Hi, hey. I'm Saxon, I'm your guide today. You must be the, ah, medical examiner. I guess I'm going to be the one to show you the ropes and all that. But, yeah, um, welcome to Cerberus Security."

To her, he was a foreign body in a familiar uniform. She couldn't help but reminisce of who in the Londinium Interpol he reminded her. But that was then, this is now. New beginnings, right? "Saxon." She repeated to help her try to remember, most definitely in vain, "Ah, brilliant. Yes, that would be me, Rasya Emer." she extended a hand out to him, "Medical Examiner on loan from Londinium for no particular set time frame." she gave him a pleasant smile.

"If you'd be so kind as to follow along, I'll give you the nickel tour of the place."

Part of her wished to question about her request for extra assistance. Maybe they did some in-house adjusting? If that was the case, one would assume they would have her new assistant show her around. She looked to Saxon again - she doubted he was her assistant purely based on his attire. Maybe he showed up early and was already in? That was much more plausible.

"Can I take your bag? I should probably offer to take your bag, huh? Or is that not professional? I.. Anyway, um.. this way."

"Quite alright, but thank you for the offer though." she said in attempts to smooth the awkwardness with a healthy dose of turning a blind eye and making something positive out of a potential negative, "I apologize for bringing it along, my shuttle was delayed and I missed my check-in so I had to bunk down where there was vacancy." she explained, occupying herself with putting away the earpieces and her corpad inside one of the suitcase pouches, "It didn't give me much time to scout out the area either. I hope I didn't have you waiting long. I do hate not knowing how long it takes to get from one place to another." she lifted the strap on her shoulder again then smoothed down the front of her dress suit, "By chance, do you know of a better place to stay? I'll just say I would be surprised if one of my first patients today didn't come from that hotel." And if she was correct, it would make it that much easier for her to process - though the thought remained unspoken. Best not seem too dark too soon.
Posted Image

Teddy Mayweather
Member Avatar

The woman he'd tapped whirled around at a speed that was impressive. A little scary, but impressive. She looked nice, Teddy thought, but a little grumpy. He offered her a small smile in an attempt to soothe whatever was upsetting her. It didn't seem to work.

"Teddy, right. Well, Teddy, your tour guide already took off with your boss. I'm guessing you're late. Word of advice: don't do that. It's not going to win you any favors around here."

Well that sucked. What kind of tour guide left before the whole tour group had arrived? But then, he had been late. But that hadn't really been his fault! He'd been talking to Cindi, and he'd lost track of time. Everyone lost track of time sometimes, right?

"Sorry, it's just that--"

The woman cut him off as she continued. At first what she said was encouraging. It seemed like, even if she wasn't his intended guide, she was willing to show him around anyway. That was nice of her.

Then came the hard part: no questions or comments. Now that was going to be difficult. Teddy opened his mouth to clarify--did she mean absolutely no questions at all, or were little ones okay?--but closed it again as the woman finished, looking him directly in the eye. Instead, he nodded.

"Okay. I--I can do that. Thanks for helping me," he said, offering his smile again. But as she began to walk and he began to follow, questions whizzed through his mind, a thousand a minute. He was forbidden from asking them, and it was driving him crazy. How was he supposed to know anything about the job--anything about anything, really--if he didn't ask questions? Surely just asking a couple wouldn't get him in trouble, right? There had to be wiggle room in there somewhere. Taking a deep breath, he tried his luck.

"Okay, I know you said no questions, but it seems weird to be together and not talk at all, you know? And I promise I won't ask a lot, but, I mean...can I at least know your name?"

He finished, and braced for impact.

Saxon
Member Avatar

Saxon's eyebrows raised slightly at the tale that Ms. Esmer told. To be staying in such a roachhole on this planet was a dicey proposition, at best. He didn't want to insult her by assuming she couldn't handle herself, should the worst happen. But then again, she was asking for help. Women of the 'can handle myself' persuasion very rarely did, especially of a man.

The briefest moment passed where he suggested she stay with him, but he decided against that, for practically every reason.

He inhaled sharply before responding, "Place to stay? Well, there aren't a lot of affordable places to stay that also happen to be nice places to stay. The Ivory Rose has a few rooms for rent, usually, though it's a cathouse." He paused, turning toward her, "Not literally a house full of cats, mind. Whores." He paused again. "Not that I'm saying you belong in a whorehouse, but it's not a bad place to stay, and you don't have to have sex or nothin'. Food's pretty good, too!"

He started to walk toward the morgue again, then stopped a second time to turn toward her. "'Course... that's also where all the trouble happened. Maybe not the best suggestion... other than that, I guess there's the Constellation Inn. Used to be a ship but now it's a hotel, casino kinda deal. Fun place to lose your money, get a reasonable buzz on, if that's your speed. Maybe it is, in which case, you're probably super fun to be around."

He continued on, again, and then stopped a third time. "Not that I'm, y'know, hittin' on you or anything, That would be inappropriate and unprofessional, two things which I am not."

His eyes turned back toward the morgue, and he pointed both of his fingers in that direction. "Let's... move on, shall we?"

Bastet
Member Avatar

At first, the kid was compliant. He made a comment or two, but no questions. Nothing she had to think about. Compliance was important from the support staff here at Cerberus. Once the field agents did their thing, they would rely on the support staff to handle the paperwork and the things that didn't require action and bullets. The fewer distractions they had, the quicker they could get things done, and the quicker the support work finished, the quicker the action could come to its natural and successful conclusion.

But then...

"Okay, I know you said no questions, but it seems weird to be together and not talk at all, you know? And I promise I won't ask a lot, but, I mean...can I at least know your name?"

She sighed heavily. It was a fair point, and a fair question. She was nothing if not fair. That didn't mean she was going to let it slide all the way, though. Her voice was certainly tinted with annoyance.

"Call me Bastet. No, that's not my real name. Yes, some people do use their real names. No, you don't need an alias. No, nobody has ever gotten into the headquarters and started blasting people, but there's a first time for everything." She barely even broke stride, and she saw Saxon up ahead with the woman, stammering like an idiot. As an idiot. When you're an idiot, everything you do is like an idiot. "C'mon, Teddy, this way..."

She picked up the pace, covering the difference between herself and Saxon in surprisingly few strides. The man's eyes widened as he looked up from his charge to see Bastet coming, looking pissed. The woman strode nimbly around the medical examiner, tall enough to look Saxon eye-to-eye.

"I brought your other tourist, Sax. You really shouldn't leave people unaccompanied in here. Ajax finds out you're being careless, he's gonna skin your ass for a new pair of shoes." She poked him in the forehead sharply. "Use your brain, or you're gonna get yourself or someone else killed. It won't be me, but it'll be someone. Maybe her." She turned herself to face Rasya, nodding. "Good to meet you. If this or any other idiot gives you trouble, let me know. I'll have their balls on your desk by lunchbreak. Bastet, nice to meet you."

She strode past the woman, eyeing down the assistant one last time.

"Teddy."

She then strode purposefully back to her stack of papers.

Rasya Emer
Member Avatar

Rasya walked a step behind and to the side of Saxon as they made their way down the hall. It was a habit born of a conscious decision. It was a litmus test of sorts - more dominating personalities would be more than happy with this arrangement, those who saw her as equal would slow to match, and the more timid - or salacious - would make sure she took the lead. It also helped hide her partial enjoyment of the interesting quirk he had when speaking, giving her enough time to clear the amused expression if he were to look back. Of course, there were other factors in play, he was taking the lead as he was to show her around for instance, so she could really only determine that he could lead if he wanted and leading was of a more priority than - say for instance - being a lecherous creep.

"Not that I'm, y'know, hittin' on you or anything, That would be inappropriate and unprofessional, two things which I am not."

"Of course. The thought never entered my mind." she lied.

"Let's... move on, shall we?"

"Let's." she smiled, once again allowing him to take the lead only to halt when another woman approached with a fresh-faced youth in tow. She didn't need any sort of subterfuge to determine where she stood personality-wise. Hell, the woman told Rasya exactly how she flew.

"Good to meet you. If this or any other idiot gives you trouble, let me know. I'll have their balls on your desk by lunchbreak. Bastet, nice to meet you." "Teddy."

Rasya gave an understanding nod back to her, "Rasya. Will do. Thank you, you too." She kept it short in match to Bastet's short verbal cadence before her eyes turned to Teddy as she breezed off as quickly as she stormed in. "Well, Teddy was it? I take it you are the computer guru? Rasya Emer, it's a pleasure to meet you." she gave him a pleased smile and offered her hand though the words Bastet spoke still replayed in the back of her mind 'Use your brain, or you're gonna get yourself or someone else killed. It won't be me, but it'll be someone. Maybe her.'. Instead of salting the wound the other officer poked at by asking questions, Rasya decided it would be something better looked into in private and instead opted to play her cards towards smoothing things over. "So, moving on now that everyone is here. We don't need to give the boss a reason for making three pairs of shoes." she said brightly, looking between the two.
Posted Image

Teddy Mayweather
Member Avatar

Bastet sighed, and as she turned to him Teddy did his best to arrange his face into what he supposed an expression of contrition might look like. He had tried his best to restrain himself as instructed, but how, how could she possibly expect him not to ask any questions whatsoever? Here he was, in a new place about to take on a new job, and she was the first person he'd met who might have some idea what he was getting into. Frankly, it would be stupid not to ask her anything. Truthfully, she was lucky he'd started as simply as he had.

"...but there's a first time for everything."

For someone who was adamant about not having to talk, Bastet sure seemed awfully keen to offer information when asked, even adding in answers to questions Teddy hadn't thought to ask yet. The possibility of someone shooting up the headquarters should have worried him, he recognized, but his mind was too busy spinning at the mention of aliases to notice. He'd never thought of going by any other name than his own. "Teddy" was a good name, as far as he was concerned. But maybe, depending on what his new boss wanted him to do, it would be cool to have a pseudonym. Something related to computers, obviously, and maybe that connected to his new job of coroner's assistant..."Digger," maybe? Or maybe, "Stitches." Teddy shook his head. No, those were stupid. Aliases were supposed to be cool, first and foremost. He'd have to ask his new boss for suggestions once they met. Surely she could come up with something better.

Teddy was so caught up in trying to find the perfect alias that he forgot that he was supposed to be following Bastet. Luckily, the sound of his name brought him back down to earth. He started, skipping forward a step as he hurried to catch up with Bastet's quick strides. They stopped in front of a man in a Cerberus uniform and a woman holding a suitcase. Bastet immediately marched right up to the guy and began berating him, which Teddy watched with bemusement and more than a little fear. Bastet seemed like a pretty angry woman, and as far as Teddy knew, this guy hadn't done anything to deserve her wrath. What did such a high-strung person do for fun, he wondered. Did she go home and punch pillows? Write angry poetry in really big letters? He would probably never know.

Bastet then addressed the other woman--thankfully, with a bit less venom in her voice, testicle comments notwithstanding--then turned to leave, throwing one last parting word his way before walking away. "It was nice to meet you, Bastet!" he called after her. "Thanks for showing me around!" Then she was gone, and he was left with two more strangers. He turned back to them, unsure of how to proceed. Should he talk to the guy first, since he was wearing a Cerberus uniform? But Bastet didn't seem too fond of that guy, and, well...she might not be warm and cuddly, but she hasn't threatened him with a by-proxy ass-skinning.

Then the woman spoke, and just like that his decision was made for him. He answered her smile with a large one of his own, giving her hand a firm shake. "Nice to meet you," he agreed. "Don't know that I'd call myself a guru, though. I've never really been into anything spiritual, especially with computers. I just like working on them is all." Before he could further voice his disagreement with Rasya's label for him, she continued, suggesting that they keep moving, and…something about shoes? Teddy's brow furrowed.

"What do shoes have to do with anything?" he asked. "Don't see why the head of a security company would need to be making shoes…unless it's a hobby, maybe. But then they really shouldn't be doing it on the clock."

Saxon
Member Avatar

He wasn't at all surprised when Bastet was immediately in his face over leaving Teddy behind (though, honestly, it wasn't his fault the kid was late, and for sure the powers that be would want the new medical examiner acclimated ASAP.) His colleague had always been an aggressive woman. It was the kind of hot that was really, really scary. He wasn't sure he liked it very much, but he tried not to hold her personality against her, even though she so clearly held his against him.

"Ma'am, yes ma'am! I'll be more careful next time." was his reply, not that she wanted one. He let her hurl her threats and insults and intimidate the new hires. It was what she needed. Everyone was different and weird, and his philosophy with his co-workers was live and let live. Honestly, he felt bad for Teddy, having likely faced the full brunt of her annoyance, but the kid seemed no worse for the wear. He even went so far as to shout after Bastet as she made her retreat back to the land of serious business. A bold choice from the rookie.

Wonder how long that optimism will last around here.

"Well, Teddy, you got me in a load of go se today, but I'll try not to hold it against you." His tone was affable. Very little harm, no foul. He'd let someone else handle the castigating. "Try not to make a habit out of it, though, okay buddy? Not everyone here is as calm as me. As you've noticed." He gave a smile to Rasya, then, and turned back toward his tour. "All right, then, off we go."

He led them through the maze of desks, all ringing comms and glowing screens. "This is what I like to call the farm. This is where all the information gets processed. Crimes in progress, suspects on the loose and in custody, evidence, all that good stuff. This is the bloodline of Cerberus, and you guys are one of the essential organs, I guess. Not the heart, really, maybe the pancreas?" His face twisted into a thoughtful confusion for a moment, and then returned to normal. "That's dumb. Dumb analogy. Anyway, you all will process your information through your own terminal in the creepy morgue, but sometimes someone out here might need more info, so you'll have to navigate this mess on occasion. Anyway, don't worry too much about it, or remembering everyone's names. Just worry about yourself and getting your jobs done."

He continued on, motioning to various doors. "That's the armory - don't go in there unless someone tells you to. That's command - don't go in there if you can ever help it. You don't want to be called before the guys in there, they're scary." He shuddered for dramatic effect, giving Rasya a little grin. Then he moved to a metal door at the back. "And this is where you guys get to play. Door is reinforced metal in case the stiffies in there ever decide to come back to life." He knocked on the door a couple of times for emphasis. "Also, if there's an emergency lockdown, all non-combat personnel will report to either the command area, or this area. Which I guess makes you guys the Survival Captains, or something like that. Either way, this is basically the safest place in the headquarters, barring zombie uprising." He meant it to be reassuring, and he hoped that it was.

He was fairly certain zombies weren't real.

Fairly.

Rasya Emer
Member Avatar

"What do shoes have to do with anything?" "Don't see why the head of a security company would need to be making shoes…unless it's a hobby, maybe. But then they really shouldn't be doing it on the clock."

Rasya quirked a brow towards Teddy, pointing back to where Bastet had raged away, "She said.... the whole making shoes thing for pissing someone off..." she attempted to bring Teddy up to speed, but followed up with a dismissive wave of her hand, "It was a poor joke." She conceded as the three continued the fast and dirty tour.

She glanced over the desks of those working, listening to Saxon as he discussed the details of her work as if it were her first day ever working in this type of environment. She kept the thought to herself, allowing him to speak, showing that she was listening even though she had other things turning in her head. Don't go in armory, check. Command, however, watching Saxon shudder and then shoot a grin at her, she couldn't help but wonder on Bastet's admonishments for him. At the words zombie uprising she seriously began to question his mental standing as he didn't give any indication of his joking. But she wasn't a psychologist and she certainly didn't have the full picture with him.

"You'd be hard pressed to find someone as skilled as myself when it comes to knowing the best way to get into someone's brains from close quarters. Just point me to the autopsy saw and we'll let the rest sort out on it's own." she replied and immediately wrinkled her nose as she realized her folly. Too soon? It was jesting banter, right? She cleared her throat, "So will I be responsible for stocking emergency rations in case of S.H.T.F. scenarios?" let's just steer away from the zombie talk, shall we? She glanced to Teddy, not wishing to make him feel left out. It wasn't that she was ignoring him, she just knew that they'd have plenty of time to get to know each other once they had been ushered to their work station. Of course, unless she had first day meetings with her superiors - there was always that.
Posted Image

Teddy Mayweather
Member Avatar

"It was a poor joke."

Teddy frowned at Rasya's explanation, glancing back at the swiftly retreating Bastet. "Still seems like a difficult process," he muttered. "And I'm not sure human skin would make for good shoes...and you'd lose an employee too..." He shook his head. Some things just made no sense.

"Well, Teddy, you got me in a load of go se today, but I'll try not to hold it against you."

Teddy's eyes widened at the reprimand. "I didn't mean to be late!" he assured Saxon. "It's just that I was talking to my sister and I lost track of time. It shouldn't happen again. I set multiple alarms each morning to make sure I get up on time, and now that I know how to find this place it won't take me that long to get here. I'll leave early from here on, just in case."

Luckily, Saxon didn't actually seem that mad. He was a lot calmer than Bastet, which was nice. Teddy had nothing against Bastet--she'd been nice to him after all--but didn't know that he'd enjoy spending a lot of time with her. He'd been told that he had a tendency to get on people's nerves--though, to be honest, he wasn't sure he believed that. After all, he'd really only heard it from his sister. If he bothered other people, they'd say so.

Teddy did his best to clamp down on his thoughts as the tour began in earnest, trying to focus on what Saxon said as he lead them through the building. The chaotic arrangement of desks Saxon called the farm was overwhelming, but Teddy was reassured by Saxon's comment that he'd have his own terminal on which to do his work. He liked people well enough, but so many of them, all working on their separate jobs, sounded like too much even for him. Still, he thought it was a bit rude of Saxon to tell them not to worry about learning everyone's names. "But what if someone has a birthday?" he asked. "Can't sing the song without knowing the person's name. And what do you put on the cake? 'Happy Birthday Insert Name Here?' That would suck." He understood that Saxon's words were meant to be reassuring, but the thought still troubled him. He'd have to keep a running list of everyone he met at Cerberus, just in case.

They moved on, and as Saxon mentioned the armory and command, Teddy's eyes zeroed in on the familiar-looking metal doors in the back of the building. All morgues looked the same, he thought. It made sense in a way--the dead didn't care if they wound up somewhere aesthetically pleasing--but hopefully he wouldn't be stuck in the expected grey metal and white walls he'd seen in morgues before. Just because the normal clientele couldn't appreciate a bit of color didn't mean he couldn't try to jazz the place up a bit. He'd have to run the idea by Rasya, see what she thought. She was to be his boss, after all.

His ears perked up at the mention of zombies. "Wouldn't zombies be kind of useful though?" he wondered aloud. "I mean, you wouldn't need to do an autopsy if you could just talk to the dead person, find out directly from them what killed them. Unless we're talking the zombies that can't talk, and just walk around trying to eat brains. That would probably make operating on them hard..." He trailed off, lost in thought. Zombies required serious consideration.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Federal Administration · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks