Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode 2 - Aside 4: Bridge; Sylandra, Atarah, Mack, Dillon and Marshal Rosewood
Topic Started: Jun 1 2017, 12:12 AM (411 Views)
Chicago 2
Member Avatar

Sylandra guided the ship through the black while comfortably gazing out at the stars. Her position meant she was the first to know of any kind of potential system error. Something was definitely not as it should be. An alarm went off. Somewhere there was an exterior hatch open, but why? A message was immediately bounced to thos who need to know; Atarah Kobain, Macabee Cricket, Dillon Dominy and Marshall TK Rosewood.

GENERAL POSTING HAS YET TO OPEN.
Edited by abbey, Jun 10 2017, 09:16 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chicago 2
Member Avatar

The exterior hatch alarm went off quickly, just like it was a blip on the screen before the interior hatch went off. It too was brief. Only a couple of seconds. If Sylandra hadn't been looking at the console at the time, she might have missed it altogether, they were both so short. One thing that was disconcerting was the fact that during the alarms going off, the controls had glitched a bit and made it hard to or impossible to ascertain where it came from.

Atarah, Mack and Marshal Rosewood arrived quickly and crowded around Sylandra. Dillon wasn't far behind them, but hung back a little since the group in such close quarters most likely made him uncomfortable.

Sylandra relayed the information to all who were there.

GENERAL POSTING IS NOW OPEN.
Edited by abbey, Oct 5 2017, 01:12 AM.

Atarah Kobain
Member Avatar

Atarah listened to what Sylandra relayed to them and her hand flew to her mouth. Her heart began to pound.

She was definitely scared. After all, the last time someone breached the ship, it was on the original Chicago and the people who entered had damaged the ship to the extent that the ship crashed with both her and Richard on board. They were lucky and lived, but she was terrified of what this could mean.

Did someone follow Tony here like they did the last time?

Her eyes slid to Mack, her fear betraying the composure she usually projected.

"Can y-you tell where the alarm s-sounded?" she asked. "We need to find out where and now."

Please let it just be a malfunction... Please be a malfunction... she prayed to herself.

But then a malfunctioning airlock? That had it's own set of problems.
Posted Image

Macabee Cricket
Member Avatar

Mack felt Atarah stiffen as Sylandra relayed what little information there was. Two very brief alarms. One exterior; one interior. He reached over and grabbed her hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"This is not the same," he whispered to her. "I won't let it. I promised Richard."

Atarah couldn't help but nod ever so briefly.

"We have three main airlocks," he told them all. "The cargo bay, shuttle bay and the one in the passenger deck."

That's a lot of space to cover.

"That's not counting any life pods currently on board," he told them. "I think they should be secondary targets. Not easy to breach from the outside."

He looked at everyone.

"Unless it is some kind of weird malfunction. Then it could be any of them," he relayed.

He looked back at Atarah and shot her a reassuring look again.
Posted Image

Marshal TK Rosewood
Member Avatar

Marshal TK Rosewood was not happy. A airlock breach? Seriously?

"Can y-you tell where the alarm s-sounded?" "We need to find out where and now."

His eyes shot to the Gamer. He did not trust Atarah Kobain as far as he could throw her. What was with the damsel in distress act?

"This is not the same," "I won't let it. I promised Richard."

Not the same? He promised Richard? What did that mean?

Then he remembered her and Richard's past. The way the original Chicago crashed. It was after an airlock breach.

How conveeeeeenient...

What could they be planning? What is up their sleeves?

"We have three main airlocks," "The cargo bay, shuttle bay and the one in the passenger deck."

He wondered exactly how the search was going to play out. If they keep together, they would take longer, allowing the chance of someone (if there was a someone) to infiltrate and hide. If they split up, then he would not be able to control the situation. Who knows who might let someone on board if there was something afoot.

"That's not counting any life pods currently on board," "I think they should be secondary targets. Not easy to breach from the outside."

That was true. But it would still be a way someone could get in. And one of the last places they would look.

"Unless it is some kind of weird malfunction. Then it could be any of them,"

Malfunction? Great. And here they were without a mechanic.

Well that was disconcerting. Suddenly he was wondering how many atmo suits they had on board. The crew could easily don them all and let the guests perish in the "accident."

And then the money would be theirs.

Posted Image

Dillon Dominy
Member Avatar

Dillon was in his room when he received the airlock alarm, working on a side contract he had received to his anonymous dark Cortex drop box. It was just a list of names, but Dillon pondered what could be the common thread between a Buddhist pirate, a former Browncoat, a down on her luck bar owner, and (the one name he immediately recognized) Miyuki Tanaka, one of the founding programmers of the dark Cortex.

As soon as the alarm notice flashed, Dillon minimized the dC window and pulled up the alarm log. He noted the list of recipients and immediately started to shake. Marshal Rosewood? How did he get on the notification list? I'll have to have a conversation with Mack about that.

Knowing that Atarah would want him on the bridge for a briefing on this, Dillon pulled up another window showing the security camera video of the hatch leading to the bridge. He watched as Mack, Atarah, and the marshal quickly entered. Only then did Dillon leave his quarters and walk the 12 steps necessary to reach the bridge. Luckily, everyone was focused on the console in front of Sylandra as he walked in on the tail end of the conversation.

Unless it is some kind of weird malfunction. Then it could be any of them

Dillon quickly pulled his antiquated PAD from his inner jacket pocket and began to silently tap at the keypad with his thumbs. He pulled up the activity logs of all 3 primary airlocks, but they all showed no recent activity. Well, that can't be right! Dillon thought as he reached into his left trouser pocket and nervously rubbed his triskele coin 9 times. He then pulled up the alerts database and examined the actual alarm listings that had just been logged. Okay, those alarms were triggered by a backup system, but they were immediately acknowledged remotely. That's why it only showed a 2.4 second activation for the outer hatch followed by a 2.1 second activation of the inner hatch. Curse the fact that the backup system did not have the ability to discriminate which hatches were activated, if, in fact they actually were.

"Right, then, here is what I know so far." Dillon cleared his throat three times as everyone turned to face him. "Those alarms were triggered by a backup system independent of the primary airlock control module. The alarms were then remotely acknowledged to try to clear them from the bridge console. Unfortunately, that backup system is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock was accessed, if indeed it was. It is possible that it was simply a false reading. I would have to run diagnostics on both the primary airlock control module as well as the backup systems to determine that. Luckily, I had the time to peruse those systems' manuals before we left orbit, but it could take some time to get results."

Dillon fell silent as he realized that he was rambling again. He also was aware of TK's scrutiny but tried not to make eye contact with the marshal.
Edited by Dillon Dominy, Oct 6 2017, 01:16 AM.
Posted Image

Atarah Kobain
Member Avatar

Atarah was relieved when Mack picked up her unease and tried to assuage her distress.

"This is not the same," "I won't let it. I promised Richard."

God... She wished Richard was there. Heck, he kept her safe when the original Chicago actually crash landed. She was feel so much better if he was there.

"We have three main airlocks," "The cargo bay, shuttle bay and the one in the passenger deck."

Not exactly close together. She wondered if they should split up and look or keep together as a group. She also didn't need to alarm her guests unless she had to.

"That's not counting any life pods currently on board," "I think they should be secondary targets. Not easy to breach from the outside."

The life pods... There were numerous ones. All over the ship. She made sure they had plenty. Especially after the fiery end of the original Chicago.

"Unless it is some kind of weird malfunction. Then it could be any of them,"

Atarah swallowed thickly and slowly. An airlock malfunction? That could be disastrous.

Atarah looked over to Rosewood and saw his scowl. It was like her blamed her and trying to put a criminal edge on it. She pulled enough of her wits together to level a glare at him. That was when Dillon gave more information.

"Right, then, here is what I know so far."

Atarah softened her features and took in the man noting that his posture relayed an uncomfortable posture. She smiled at him, hoping it would make him feel better.

"Those alarms were triggered by a backup system independent of the primary airlock control module. The alarms were then remotely acknowledged to try to clear them from the bridge console. Unfortunately, that backup system is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock was accessed, if indeed it was. It is possible that it was simply a false reading. I would have to run diagnostics on both the primary airlock control module as well as the backup systems to determine that. Luckily, I had the time to peruse those systems' manuals before we left orbit, but it could take some time to get results."

Remotely acknowledged? she could feel the shiver creep up her spine, she looked at Mack then and her hand reached out to grip his forearm for support.

"If it is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock, then will you have to run the diagnostic on each airlock to figure out where the reading came from?" she asked. "Because if it was a malfunction or some sort of other possibility, then we need to get on that right away."

She didn't want to think of "some sort of other possibility" because that would mean they had an intruder on board. But she didn't want to hope for a malfunction because they didn't quite yet have a mechanic. She didn't think it was necessary night away. They had just had the whole ship gone over and inspected.

Plus she just couldn't fathom that someone could have boarded them again. But then again, Tony was on board again. She fought the urge to go down and pluck him out of whatever room he was in to give him the third degree.
Posted Image

Macabee Cricket
Member Avatar

Mack looked over at Atarah and tried to give her a reassuring smile, but he knew she was scared.

He also didn't miss the nasty demeanor of one Marshal TK Rosewood.

Jackass.

Dillon then added some information.

Information would be good. He could work with having more information and Dillon had already proven most helpful.

"Those alarms were triggered by a backup system independent of the primary airlock control module. The alarms were then remotely acknowledged to try to clear them from the bridge console. Unfortunately, that backup system is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock was accessed, if indeed it was. It is possible that it was simply a false reading. I would have to run diagnostics on both the primary airlock control module as well as the backup systems to determine that. Luckily, I had the time to peruse those systems' manuals before we left orbit, but it could take some time to get results."

Remotely acknowledged... He turned to Atarah when she grabbed his arm to support herself.

"It will be OK," he whispered to her.

"If it is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock, then will you have to run the diagnostic on each airlock to figure out where the reading came from?" "Because if it was a malfunction or some sort of other possibility, then we need to get on that right away."

She was smart. He could see why Richard loved her. Beauty and brains all in one package.

"Dillon. Let's do whatever we need to do. Now," he said calmly, but authoritatively.

Then he turned to Rosewood.

"And if you can do something other than scowl, then perhaps you can help once Dillon tells us what is needed. If not, go back to your room and we will look after this, dong ma?"
Posted Image

Marshal TK Rosewood
Member Avatar

TK nearly rolled his eyes at the performance given by Atarah and Mack. Her with the scared little woman and him with being the protector.

TK turned and watched the man as he gave his report. Dillon Dominy was the skittish type, but he wasn't sure if he was capable of deception. But then again, he could just be a really, really good actor.

Back up system? Remotely acknowledged? Possibly a false reading? Something was super fishy.

"It will be OK,"

He couldn't help but actually roll his eyes at that one. Did they think he was stupid?

"If it is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock, then will you have to run the diagnostic on each airlock to figure out where the reading came from?" "Because if it was a malfunction or some sort of other possibility, then we need to get on that right away."

Didn't she seem the concerned proprietor? What kind of game were they running?

"Dillon. Let's do whatever we need to do. Now,"

Yes, indeed. He must get to the bottom of this immediately.

"And if you can do something other than scowl, then perhaps you can help once Dillon tells us what is needed. If not, go back to your room and we will look after this, dong ma?"

TK leveled an angry glare at Mack.

"By all means... Let's get this farce over and figure out what you all are actually doing here."
Posted Image

Dillon Dominy
Member Avatar

If it is not discrete enough to indicate which airlock, then will you have to run the diagnostic on each airlock to figure out where the reading came from? Because if it was a malfunction or some sort of other possibility, then we need to get on that right away.

Dillon. Let's do whatever we need to do. Now

And if you can do something other than scowl, then perhaps you can help once Dillon tells us what is needed. If not, go back to your room and we will look after this, dong ma?

By all means... Let's get this farce over and figure out what you all are actually doing here.

Dillon looked from Atarah to Mack to TK, each time he opened his mouth to say something, he was interrupted by the next person. He then glanced to the pilot, almost as a reflex, expecting her to chime in as well, but got nothing. Why do I have to decide what to do? I'm just the information guy! Dillon thought as his hands began to sweat and his breathing started to come faster and more shallow. He stuck his left hand in his pocket and rubbed his coin furiously as he counted in his head. 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3...

He twitched when the PAD he held in his right hand vibrated quietly to indicate an incoming text Wave. He glanced down at it discretely as he tapped the ACK button with his thumb. It was from the doctor.

Quote:

Dillon - SITREP captain onboard, WIA, being treated. Medbay.

This was quickly becoming too much for the OCD cortex hacker as he looked back up at the attending group. "I... I... I... I... I... I..." he stuttered. Then he took in a long, deep breath as he counted again, each count in his mind getting slower as he released the air from his lungs. 1, 2, 3... 1; 2; 3... 1... 2... 3... Order returned to his mind as his thoughts began to coalesce.

Seemingly out of nowhere, Dillon began to speak with an air of authority "Right, then. All three primary airlocks need to be physically examined to determine if any of them have indeed been utilized, while I begin the diagnostics of the relevant systems. Sylandra, you take the cargo bay airlock. Mack, you check the passenger deck airlock. Since it would be easier for me to initiate the diagnostic routines from the engineering station on this deck, I will examine the shuttle bay airlock after I have started the tests. Atarah, I'd like you to come with me to the engineer's office to log into the engineering station so I won't have to waste the 2 extra minutes it would take for me to hack in. And marshal?" Dillon looked at TK directly "I agree with Mack that it would be best if you just stayed out of our way. After all, you're not really familiar with this ship's layout."

Dillon took in the astonished stares of the group. "Allons-y, allonso!" He barked then turned around, not waiting for anyone to follow, and headed out the cockpit door.
Edited by Dillon Dominy, Oct 25 2017, 11:41 PM.
Posted Image

Atarah Kobain
Member Avatar

Atarah was comforted by the fact that Mack was trying to reassure her that the ship and the safety of all within were well.

"It will be OK,"

Now it is just about the airlocks and what the status of them all was.

"Dillon. Let's do whatever we need to do. Now,"

Mack's calmness was good for Atarah as well. It made her slap her "game face" on and get on with whatever had to be done.

And comedic relief too. That comment almost made Atarah laugh out loud, even in this circumstance. It served to make Rosewood mad, which was just fine with her. She was just looking for a reason to confine him to quarters. Just one step out of line... He may be a marshal, but this was still her ship.

Maybe she ought to do that anyway.

"By all means... Let's get this farce over and figure out what you all are actually doing here."

Yes, Rosewood was fast approaching her breaking point.

Then Dillon spoke and she could tell that his nerves were shot. Plus, whatever he was looking at on his device seemed to momentarily startle him. She gave him a soft smile, hoping that it would calm him a bit.

"I... I... I... I... I... I..."

Dillon seemed to be starting off a bit out of sorts, but it seemed like he pulled it together. Deep breathing always helped. And he managed to pull it off sounding quite firm.

"Right, then. All three primary airlocks need to be physically examined to determine if any of them have indeed been utilized, while I begin the diagnostics of the relevant systems. Sylandra, you take the cargo bay airlock. Mack, you check the passenger deck airlock. Since it would be easier for me to initiate the diagnostic routines from the engineering station on this deck, I will examine the shuttle bay airlock after I have started the tests."

She would really like someone to go with Rosewood...

"Atarah, I'd like you to come with me to the engineer's office to log into the engineering station so I won't have to waste the 2 extra minutes it would take for me to hack in. And marshal?" "I agree with Mack that it would be best if you just stayed out of our way. After all, you're not really familiar with this ship's layout."

Atarah raised an eyebrow at Rosewood.

"Allons-y, allonso!"

Dillon's enthusiasm seemed to get everyone going. So she turned to Rosewood.

"Feel free to park yourself in the lounge or your cabin. Let the crew handle it. M'kay?"

With that, she turned on her foot and sashayed off to the engineering station. As she walked, she found it odd they were going there. Wouldn't he be able to log in right there in the cockpit? Or even the Security Center? She masked her confusion and followed Dillon along, deciding he would tell her what was on his mind once they got there.

Hopefully, it wasn't something she would be unhappy about.

Posted Image

Macabee Cricket
Member Avatar

Marshal TK Rosewood was trying Mack's last nerve. The guy was just itching to find something amiss on the ship, like he was setting them up or something. What was his angle anyway?

Or maybe what you are actually doing here, he thought to himself. What exactly is his game anyway?

He really, really wanted to throttle the guy.

Mack looked up to see Dillon flinch a little as he looked down a bit at the CorPad-ish thing he had. What was that all about?

Whatever it was, it freaked the already seemingly freaked out guy some more.

If that was possible.

But the guy surprisingly got it together. Then pulled off the biggest show of authority he had seen from the man yet.

"Right, then. All three primary airlocks need to be physically examined to determine if any of them have indeed been utilized, while I begin the diagnostics of the relevant systems. Sylandra, you take the cargo bay airlock. Mack, you check the passenger deck airlock. Since it would be easier for me to initiate the diagnostic routines from the engineering station on this deck, I will examine the shuttle bay airlock after I have started the tests."

Mack raised an eyebrow. Since when did Dillon start giving orders? And why did everyone, including himself, getting ready to do just that?

"Atarah, I'd like you to come with me to the engineer's office to log into the engineering station so I won't have to waste the 2 extra minutes it would take for me to hack in. And marshal?" "I agree with Mack that it would be best if you just stayed out of our way. After all, you're not really familiar with this ship's layout."

Was that meant to be a burn at the Marshal? Mack hid a bit of a grin, albeit probably most unsuccessfully.

"Allons-y, allonso!"

What was that? French?

"Feel free to park yourself in the lounge or your cabin. Let the crew handle it. M'kay?"

That got him to bark out a harsh chuckle. One thing about Atarah Kobain was that she had moxy. And she carried it off with class, even while wearing a dress that was illegal on most worlds.

He turned to the Marshal and looked at him speculatively.

"Which one of your two choices will it be?" he asked. "Cabin or lounge?"
Posted Image

Marshal TK Rosewood
Member Avatar

What was Dillon's issue? Stuttering away and all?

TK was quite surprised that after a couple of deep breaths, the guy actually sounded like a true professional.

He guessed the guy's behavior was a surprise to Macabee Cricket too.

interesting...

With that Mack actually smiled at the comment.

Asshole. He had a job to do. One that the Commodore had been quite adamant about. And they were trying to sideline him? He didn't think so...

"Allons-y, allonso!"

Dillon Dominy was a bit eccentric wasn't he?

Then the Gamer opened her mouth and TK felt like slapping it closed for her.

Mack actually laughed out loud at that one. That did not put him in a happy mood, nor did it convince him to just let the crew do it. There was enough coin on this ship that breaching an airlock and kill anyone unlucky enough to have not suited up, that it made him suspicious.

"Which one of your two choices will it be?" "Cabin or lounge?"

TK turned an irate stare onto Chicago's security chief.

"Neither. I'm sticking with you."

He knew that Mack couldn't really ditch him. He was under contract with the Commodore and this was his game, so in a way, he outranked everyone on board.

"Let's go."

His tone would convey that Mack really had no choice.
Posted Image

Dillon Dominy
Member Avatar

Dillon stopped at the door to the engineer's office and waited for Atarah to catch up. As she approached, he keyed in the security code on the digital lock, opened the door and motioned with a bow for the Gamer to enter first. He then followed her inside.

Once they were both past the threshold, Dillon closed the door and keyed in the security code to lock it behind them. The OCD hacker could see the look of confusion and concern on Atarah's face as he turned toward her. "I realize that you know there was no reason to use this station to run the diagnostics, but I had to come up with an excuse to get you alone away from the marshal." Dillon turned over his PAD and handed it to Atarah such that she could see the screen upright. "I'll pretend to run the tests and examine the airlock down the hall, but I recommend that you make your way down to the medbay and pipe our dear captain aboard."

Dillon took the PAD back, typed a quick reply on it to the doctor, and slipped it into the pocket on the inside of his jacket. He then keyed in the security code and opened the door, stepping aside to let Atarah exit. "If TK asks, just tell him you are checking on Sylandra's progress." He said as he gave the stunning Gamer a boyish smirk and wink.

In the medbay, Dr. Andronov's workstation chimed to indicate an incoming text Wave.

Quote:

Atarah enroute. Will inform Mack.

Posted Image

Atarah Kobain
Member Avatar

Atarah didn't take long to catch up to Dillon, wondering exactly what he was up to.

"I realize that you know there was no reason to use this station to run the diagnostics, but I had to come up with an excuse to get you alone away from the marshal."

Atarah's eyebrows knitted together.

"I don't understand," she said softly. "W-Why would you want to get me away from Rosewood?"

Her eyes widened as she took the Pad from his hands and looked down at the message.

"I'll pretend to run the tests and examine the airlock down the hall, but I recommend that you make your way down to the medbay and pipe our dear captain aboard."

She felt him slide the unit from her hands.

"If TK asks, just tell him you are checking on Sylandra's progress."

With that Atarah lifted her skirt so not to trip on the length of it and RAN.

Atarah continues here.
Edited by Atarah Kobain, Nov 25 2017, 03:12 AM.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 2: Bait and Switch - Part 2 · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks