Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode 2 - Aside 1: Medbay; Matvei and Keddie
Topic Started: Jun 1 2017, 12:15 AM (427 Views)
Chicago 2
Member Avatar

A normal evening, were it not for Dr Matvei Andronov arguably suffering the company of Thomas Keddie, who had somehow chose the medic to hear his tales of glory.
Edited by abbey, Jun 2 2017, 06:21 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Thomas Keddie
Member Avatar

Thomas Keddie was laughing away as he told his story about an old run in with Atarah.

"Yeah, the first time I saw her I was dumbstruck so much that I dropped a straight flush into an ash tray and the whole hand went up in flames!" he declared slapping his knee. "20,000 credits on the table and it all went up in smoke because of a beautiful girl in a very beautiful dress."

He wiped his eyes as he calmed a little.

"I was not amused at the time and neither was my sponsor, but we still came out in the end," he revealed. "Now that it has been a while, it really is kinda funny."

He reached off to the counter to where he had a glass of whiskey sitting and took a drink.

"Do you want to hear about the biggest pot I ever won?"

He waited a mere beat before launching into his spiel.

"We were on Londinium and it was at a posh place in the capital city and I was just hot that night!"

If someone would listen, Thomas Keddie would probably talk all night.
Posted Image

Dr. Matvei Andronov
Member Avatar

Matvei grunted noncommittally at Keddie's story, ostensibly listening to the gambler as he rambled about previous exploits. It was odd that the older man had sought him out, swaggering into the medbay with a bottle of whiskey and a single glass. And as attractive as Atarah undoubtedly was, she was also his employer as well as being decidedly out of his league. Miss Karishma, on the other hand... But as heavenly as she was, Matvei was a little more star-struck than he might care to admit to himself when it came to the elegant dancer. He pushed the thought away with a touch of regret.

"We were on Londinium and it was at a posh place in the capital city and I was just hot that night!"

Keddie's breath would have been sufficient to propel them to orbit, if he had a match - it was clear the man had been with the bottle for a while before making his way to Matvei. The need for the bottle made his skin itch, and his left hand twitched unconsciously.

Matvei poured himself a glass of water and leaned on the counter. "Am somewhat surprised that man like you does not simply own his own ship, to go where he wants," he commented, taking a sip and making a face. "Travelling liners and transports, even ones nice as this, must be limiting for man of means. Am looking forward myself to being on Sihnon - my first time there, da? Have heard there are more than five billion people there, and more than several million in capitol alone." He shook his head. "Would like to see the Companion House, just to see, eh? Not that I could ever go in." He chuckled self-deprecatingly. "Even in short time we have been here on Londinium, have never seen real Companion."
Posted Image

Thomas Keddie
Member Avatar

"Oh hell, go in." He swirled the drink in his glass. "Some of the best stories I ever heard were from whores." Keddie held himself for a moment, half his efforts assessing his worse while the other half subdued a hiccup. "Excuse me. Bad habit. No lady deserves a label like that." A hint of remorse held on his features, before one of his many thoughts distracted him. "Well, there was that one girl..."

Keddie tried to shake his own ideas from his head and eyed the doctor. "You have to spend time with people, otherwise you'll lose touch and forget how to read them." The gambler had his own motives but felt the advice stood well. "Better to be an equal than superior when you're judging people."

"Or are you just having problems with the opposite sex?" He held up his drink. "I can get another glass."
Posted Image

Dr. Matvei Andronov
Member Avatar

The ache for the whiskey warred with Matvei's desire to stay sober and impress his new boss. But the scent, that smoky and rich flavour drifting through the medbay, overpowered his better judgement and with a nod, relented.

He tipped the glass of water into the sink and washed it out, drying it before accepting a few finger from Keddie's bottle. The fire of it settled on his tongue like an old friend, the tastes of heather and oak mingling with peat and smoke. It was probably the best whiskey Matvei had ever tasted, and he savoured it for a few moments before swallowing and responding to Thomas.

"Not so much a problem but a, ah... more... careful reconnaissance, hopefully," he professed with a shrug. "With such abundance of beautiful ladies on ship, one is thinking that perhaps a certain lady may wish company, and - no offense! - am hoping that she may take shine to certain doctor over rich and powerful gamblers." Matvei swirled the glass contemplatively, watching the golden liquor drip slowly down.

He took another drink and sighed. The flush feeling of the alcohol made its way to his face, and his fingers, his lost left fingers, tingled for a moment in sympathy.

"And you, Mister Keddie? What are you hoping for, beside fabulous sum of money to be won?"
Posted Image

Thomas Keddie
Member Avatar

Thomas smiled warmly at the good doctors explanation. "And why wouldn't you?" He added with a chuckle. "As men, we can hope for such good fortune as a beautiful woman to look our way." He raised a glass as if toasting that sentiment.

Matvei's question struck a chord with Keddie, and he liked the man well enough that he conceded answering it. He leaned forward and lowered his voice. "Let me tell you something doc, and I just want you to believe me." He paused thoughtfully. "It's not about the money." Keddie released a sigh. "I just want to prove I can win." He leaned back and shrugged his shoulders. "That's it."

He cleared his throat and sipped some whiskey. "Now you keep that between us. Patient-doctor confidentiality."

"Speaking of which..." His voice lowered again. "You could tell me which lady you've got an eye on, and I wouldn't be able to tell a soul." He nodded encouragement to the doctor.
Posted Image

Dr. Matvei Andronov
Member Avatar

Matvei taps the side of his nose and gives a depreciating laugh. "Would be telling. Violation of Opsec, reveal target of recce, hm?" He polishes off the remainder of the shot and sighs.

"Not about the money - Is more than I think I will ever see, between you and me," Matvei shakes his head, pouring himself another finger or two of the whiskey. he leaned back and stared into space for a moment. "I think... I think with that much money I would set up a traveling clinic - Always is a need for more doctors on the Rim, even thumb-fingered surgeons. People out there are not as picky as in the Core." He looked back at Keddie with amusement. "How big of a ship could that pot buy - maybe mid-bulk transport like... a Cargo Lifter, or Firefly. Would be big enough... turn cargo bay into operating theatre, take along two or three pretty nurses..." He grinned at that. Without a thought he put down the now-empty glass on the counter.

"But, does not matter - is not for me to be spending money that I have no hope of winning, hm? Can you imagine Marshal's face if I was to try to join?" Matvei waggled his eyebrows expressively before making an exaggerated scowl. "'I don't care who you say you are, I'm gonna shoot the next person that tries to get into this game!'" He said in a bad parody of Marshal Rosewood's voice.
Posted Image

Chicago 2
Member Avatar

As Matvei and Keddie spoke, a very subdued alert showed on Matvei's CorPad that served as a portable record of the health records of everyone on board. It was subtle and silent with only a flashing light showing on the screen. The CorPad was only within reach of Matvei himself, Keddie would not really notice it at all. If Matvei was to open the message, it would be short and to the point.

Quote:

Doctor. Need your help. And confidentiality. Fast. Port side elevator. Knock 3 times. Hurry.

Thomas Keddie
Member Avatar

Keddie laughed as Matvei hedged his bets about whether or not he had a female crew member in his sights.

"Would be telling. Violation of Opsec, reveal target of recce, hm?"

Keddie nodded. He knew the benefits of playing it close to the vest.

"Not about the money - Is more than I think I will ever see, between you and me,"

Keddie shrugged.

"Something tells me that you might see this amount of coin on a regular basis."

The good doctor shrugged as he poured himself a bit more whiskey and leaned back in what seemed like a relaxed position.

"I think... I think with that much money I would set up a traveling clinic - Always is a need for more doctors on the Rim, even thumb-fingered surgeons. People out there are not as picky as in the Core."

Keddie nodded again.

"That's mighty altruistic of you. It's true you know. The lack of services on some of the planets and moons on the rim."

Then the doctor continued. The man had obviously thought about this relatively in detail.

"How big of a ship could that pot buy - maybe mid-bulk transport like... a Cargo Lifter, or Firefly. Would be big enough... turn cargo bay into operating theatre, take along two or three pretty nurses..."

Keddie chuckled at that comment. Nurses are better when they were pretty.

"But, does not matter - is not for me to be spending money that I have no hope of winning, hm? Can you imagine Marshal's face if I was to try to join?"

Keddie raised an eyebrow at that one. Matvei was most likely correct. The marshal's head would probably explode. What he didn't expect was the impersonation Matvei added.

"I don't care who you say you are, I'm gonna shoot the next person that tries to get into this game!"

Keddie barked out a hearty laugh at that one. It was exactly the same reaction he had been thinking.

"So right you are! That man needs to calm down a bit. I think Miss Atarah might just kill him before this trip is over, yeah?"

He finished his drink and set the glass down.

"Maybe when I win, I might want to invest in your venture. It is needed."

He looked down at his chronometer and stood up quickly.

"Sorry Matvei. I need to go. I have preparations to make. See you at the game? Or maybe the next meal?"

Keddie bid Matvei adieu. Leaving the Med Bay, he paused by the elevators, but decided to take the circular stairs the two decks up to his cabin. He noticed the sounds of activity in the bar area, but retired to his room instead, getting on his CorPad and making a wave.
Posted Image

Dr. Matvei Andronov
Member Avatar

Matvei grinned in response, appreciative of Keddie's interest in his idea. He hadn't thought the older man would be, for some reason.

When Keddie stood to leave, Matvei nodded in reply to the gambler, before noting the message on his Corpad. He frowned at it, and raised an eyebrow after reading the short, cryptic message.

He reached for his cane and stuffed the Corpad into his shirt pocket. Levering himself up from the seat, he shook his head before glancing out into the cargo bay, making sure Keddie had gone up to the other levels. Why would he get a message from the elevators when they were only a few feet from the medbay, he wondered as he stepped towards the twin lifts. Tapping on the portside elevator with a steel finger three times, Matvei called out quietly, "Medic here - You need help, hey?" He pressed on the lift controls to open the door.
Posted Image

Richard Beukes
Member Avatar

The doors to the elevator would have opened theatrically to reveal an empty elevator. It was from the side that the voice would come.

"Hope you kept it quiet." The words were strained through grimace. To Matvei's side, in a slightly ajar doorway was Richard, leaning all his energy against the frame. His right side faced the doctor, hiding the side he was favouring. "Now if you could give me a check up while I'm conscious, that would be..." He clenched his eyes shut for a moment.

Richard was wearing a spacesuit, sans helmet, and notable were tears along his arm on the left side. On closer inspection, blood. Richard pressed his face against the wall, pushing pain from his mind.

"Your place or mine?"

Dr. Matvei Andronov
Member Avatar

"Hope you kept it quiet."

Matvei's eyebrows shot up when he saw Richard's condition, but his training kicked in without conscious effort. Putting the man's hand more firmly on the wound, he did a quick visual check. Vacuum damage and frostbite around the wound indicated the injury was received in the Black, and Matvei's estimation of their captain went up a notch.

"Is a long walk from Londinium," he commented, checking Richard's pulse. Fast, like a pulse rifle. Shock. He hoisted Richard under his good shoulder and leaned heavily on his cane to get them both to standing again.

"Now if you could give me a check up while I'm conscious, that would be..."

"Impossible, is word you are looking for, hm? But, let's get you walking just a few steps more and.... there." He levered Richard into the exam chair and after a moment's hesitation shut and locked the medbay door. Carefully removing Richard's suit, Matvei's mind worked on two different levels. The cut was deep, but luckily missed the major tendon and the arteries on the inside of the elbow. Muscle damage only, plus blood loss and the damage from the Black. But his mind also churned with questions. Why hadn't he rendezvoused with the Chicago on Londinium as planned? How had he gotten on board? What had caused the injuries?

"Your place or mine?"

Matvei grunted. "Is all your place. Now shut up, doctor is working."

Giving Richard a sedative, Matvei began to close the wound, probing carefully for bits of metal or plastic that might be left inside his arm. Removing all the extraneous bits, he carefully sealed the cut and applied the dermal mender, hoping it would seal well enough (assuming Richard didn't decided to do something foolish, like take up trapeze artistry). After a moment's thought, he wrapped the whole forearm in a sealant cast, just as an added precaution.

He leaned back after it was done and took a deep breath. Richard would need blood, that was certain, and it was likely that the suit damage was not accidental. Matvei took his Corpad from his shirt and held it a moment, thinking. Atarah needed to know, but with how cagey Richard had acted, he wasn't sure if the Gamer was the right person to inform of their captain's sudden arrival. He should tell security, but with how Cricket had handled the scene on the cargo deck he wasn't sure that was the right approach.

The thought came to him suddenly. Dillon. The quiet electronics man would be the right person to tell, and he would let Atarah know... discreetly. Matvei hmm'd to himself as he typed out a quick message.

Quote:

Dillon - SITREP captain onboard, WIA, being treated. Medbay.

With that completed, he began tidying the medbay, packing Richard's suit into a bag and washing up the blood off his equipment. It was in someone else's hands now.

Edited by abbey, Oct 25 2017, 12:09 PM.
Posted Image

Richard Beukes
Member Avatar

Richard released some reservations and let the doctor patch him up. He was grateful for the aid and the whole process passed like a blur. Some sense of pain, but it was faded, mixed and harder to pinpoint as Matvei worked away. Even he knew that his greatest issue was blood loss, and without some kind of boost he couldn't be up and running again.

But he need to be.

"Doc..." Richard's mind was a little hazy. It was hard to think but he had one concrete thought in his mind. "Doc... Has he done anything?.. Has he caused any problems..."

"Tell Teach... they're gonna..." Sedatives were overwriting his ambition, and he was already very weak. His efforts struck a wall as his head fell to the side. All attempts to hold up limbs were abandoned.

Dillon Dominy
Member Avatar

In the medbay, Dr. Andronov's workstation chimed to indicate an incoming text Wave.

Quote:

Atarah enroute. Will inform Mack.
Posted Image

Dr. Matvei Andronov
Member Avatar

"Yes, yes," Matvei mumbled as Richard muttered something as he slipped into unconsciousness. He surveyed the medbay in anticipation of Atarah's arrival, conscious of the fact he smelled of whiskey. Grimacing at himself in a mirror, Matvei swished some water into his mouth and washed his face quickly.

At the tapping on the medbay door, Matvei turned and checked Richard before opening it to Atarah. "Is wounded, the captain," Matvei apologized. "Blood loss and shock, but I expect full recovery assuming he is getting some blood soon ish."
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 2: Bait and Switch - Part 2 · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks