Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode5 - Aside 3: Imminent Threat; Reno and Jennings
Topic Started: Jun 10 2017, 02:55 PM (70 Views)
The Gypsy Traveler
Member Avatar

Reno waiting long enough to know that he was alone. He had sent everyone upstairs with a task. So he looked down at Jennings and then turned and trashed the med bay. He sent instruments flying and bandages and such (basically anything not strapped down was now thrown about the room. Then he took the unconscious Jennings, untied him and bound his hands and feet together and bodily hauled him to the airlock and plopped him on the floor.

Now he just had to wait. He had to wait to see what came to when the man returned to consciousness.

What would he find?

Did he want to know?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jennings Ward
Member Avatar

Jennings Ward woke slowly, mainly because he had one stellar headache.

When he could finally open his eyes, he saw someone standing against the doorway in front of him. It was an odd door. Really quite big. He groaned and looked around, but the thing that caught his attention right away was the fact that his hands and feet were bound. He struggled, but whoever did this had done a really good job.

So he stopped struggling and took in his surroundings. His eyes widened as he realized where he was.

It was a gorram airlock of a ship and he was laying in the middle of it, trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

"Wha-" he stammered.

The guy by the door looked familiar, but could quite place it. Damn... His head hurt like a bitch. What the heck went on? So he guessed at what it might be.

"Is this a joke, sir?" he asked, hoping it was because if it wasn't, he was in a load of hurt. "How'd I get here? Last thing I remember..."

What was the last thing he remembered...?

He had been in the hospital for a bit and once cleared, he was sent off on maneuvers. A training mission. Something that would get him back into shape and ready for the front lines again. The war was in the thick of things and the Alliance needed all the soldiers they could use.

"Is this part of the training exercise? You know... How to escape a really really tight spot?"

He wondered then if the ship was even real? Or if it was, whether it was dirtside and they were just going for the effect of it all. But it didn't really look like a military ship and the guy in the door wasn't in uniform. He looked past the guy and saw...

Good gorram! Was that a lion???

"Sir, if you don't mind, I am a soldier in the Alliance military. There's a war out and I really need to get back to base," he explained. "If you could just untie me and let me go, then I will be out of your hair and on my way."

Oh please let this be a training exercise or if it wasn't, please let the guy not be a browncoat.
Posted Image

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

Reno's stomach plummeted when Jennings woke up in the airlock.

"Wha-"

The guy looked truly dazed.

No one could act that well. The fuzziness in the eyes told it all, but then again, maybe it was just the jolt to his brain that had his vision lagging and the guy was really a quick thinker.

"Is this a joke, sir?" "How'd I get here? Last thing I remember..."

Reno lifted an eyebrow and continued to study the guy.

"Is this part of the training exercise? You know... How to escape a really really tight spot?"

He figured that it wasn't a fake when Jennings looked past him and his eyes nearly bugged out when he got a load of Clarence.

"Sir, if you don't mind, I am a soldier in the Alliance military. There's a war out and I really need to get back to base," "If you could just untie me and let me go, then I will be out of your hair and on my way."

Reno crouched down.

"On your way? You do know that the war has been over for 6 years, right?" he asked Jennings. "And just in case you didn't know, you purplebellies won and yes... I am a browncoat and will be until the day I die."

He tilted his head a bit.

"So the program where you got your nervous system an upgrade... You volunteer for that?" he asked as he looked for tells about the guy's state of mind. "Did it hurt? I sure hope so, since losing your soul should be a hurtful experience. How many people have you killed, Jennings?"

Reno wondered if Jennings knew or if he even cared. He himself was loathe to guess what that number could be since it would probably make him want to vomit. So he waited to hear what the man would say.
Posted Image

Jennings Ward
Member Avatar

Jennings watched as the man crouched down by the door.

"On your way? You do know that the war has been over for 6 years, right?"

Confusion crept in. The war was over? For SIX years?

"No, that can't be true..." Jennings stammered.

Right? The war can't be over. Right?

"And just in case you didn't know, you purplebellies won and yes... I am a browncoat and will be until the day I die."

Oh God... This was bad. Really, really bad.

But then again, the war was over, so there was no need to be fighting. Right?

Except for the fact he was tied up and in an airlock.

"So the program where you got your nervous system an upgrade... You volunteer for that?"

Jennings probed his mind. Nervous system upgrade? What did he mean?

Then he remembered the reason that he was in the hospital. He had no family and no responsibilities. That was why had enlisted. To give him some focus and direction in life. And he had volunteered for a new program that meant that the war might be over sooner. Something that would help soldiers be even better soldiers. So they could make the 'verse a better place.

"Yes, I volunteered. I wanted to help."

The guy looked ambivalent to his explanation.

"Did it hurt? I sure hope so, since losing your soul should be a hurtful experience. How many people have you killed, Jennings?"

Killed? What did he mean?

That's when he realized that he didn't remember much past the beginning of the training exercise.

"I don't remember... I remember starting the training exercise, but not much after..."

He tugged on his bindings.

"Truly, Sir. I don't remember. Please believe me!"
Posted Image

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

Reno raised an eyebrow at the fact that Jennings claimed to not know the war had been over and then admitted that he had volunteered for the experiment. Well, he at least was not blameless in the whole affair.

"I don't remember... I remember starting the training exercise, but not much after..."

He watched as Jennings tried to get himself free from the rope.

"Truly, Sir. I don't remember. Please believe me!"

Should he believe him? Maybe he just needs to get somewhere where the implants could be removed or somehow permanently disrupted. What ifhe had been used this whole time? Not in control of himself?

"Why should I believe you?"

This should be good and it would be interesting what he would say.

"Convince me, Jennings. Why should I let you live?"
Posted Image

Jennings Ward
Member Avatar

Jennings was a bit unnerved by the countenance of the man in front of him.

"Why should I believe you?"

Why should he? Jennings didn't know because he wasn't quite sure what he had done.

"Convince me, Jennings. Why should I let you live?"

Jennings had to come up with something.

"Because I am a nice guy?" he offered with a contrite smile.

He suddenly got a flash of another man in his memory. A guy grinning at him as they picked a lock leading into a ship. He seemed quite pleased about actually being successful.

We were good at it? he thought to himself. Whatever we did, we were good at it.

So he decided to ask.

"I think I had a partner maybe? Do you know where he is?"

Then he felt a weird buzzing at the base of his skull and bits and pieces started to slowly come back.

And yes, they were very good at what they did. They served the Alliance well.

He couldn't help but be proud.

He probably shouldn't have thought that in this situation.

"My head feels funny. It's buzzing up a storm."
Edited by Jennings Ward, Jun 13 2017, 11:48 PM.
Posted Image

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

Reno narrowed his eyes when he heard Jennings' response.

"Because I am a nice guy?"

Reno's fist clenched.

"Should I tell the crew of the Monaco that you're 'a nice guy'? Wait, they are all dead and the last one to get that way? He was nice enough to tell me your name before he left this 'verse," he hissed. "Or my mechanic, who is now fighting for his life?"

Jennings seemed to be contemplative. Like he was remembering something.

"I think I had a partner maybe? Do you know where he is?"

Reno chuckled bitterly.

"So you do remember some? Well your partner is no longer in this 'verse. One of my crew made sure after he carved up my mechanic and was going after someone else that makes up our family here. A knife to the eye usually does that to a person."

Jennings seemed indifferent at the moment and he saw that Jennings had a brief smile on his face.

"My head feels funny. It's buzzing up a storm."

Reno just knew what that meant. The implants, for lack of a better word, were rebooting. He knew what he had to do. He stepped backwards, shut the airlock door and purged the contents into the black.

Jennings had such a surprised look on his face as he was sucked out. Reno didn't know if Jennings could have been helped or not. He did know that he had been confused at the beginning for sure. But he hadn't the time to look into it.

Maybe he should have, but he made a decision.

The crew came first.

And that was that.

He wasn't sorry one little bit.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Episode 5: Can We Ever Truly Go Home? · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks