Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eavesdown Episode 1 - The Arrival; Rian, Wayde, and the Rose
Topic Started: Apr 18 2016, 07:01 PM (2,536 Views)
The Ivory Rose
Member Avatar

The Ivory Rose had settled down once again, the dangers of their previous charges having gone away with Kelker and Roman and Andrews and Darwin. Back to normal, back to calm. Or, at least, what passed for it here.

'Course, Ayden was still moving around on a busted wheel, but she was making do as best she could, and leaning on Kildaro and the girls when needed. For the time being, however, things were getting back where they should be at the Rose. She was open for business, and ready to see some new clientele.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

Midday with Lux high in the sky, ships are taking off and landing at a regular pace - some hurrying off to make time, others coming in to relieve their cargo and crew for a well-deserved leave, and still others dealing out passengers reaching their destination with more seeking passage through the black.

One such passenger stepped off a tin-can of a vessel, giving a curt nod of his head to the captain - hair disheveled as if he had just woken up while his face told the complete opposite story with dark rings under his eyes. He hikes up a well-weathered duffel bag onto his shoulder and looks around the docks to the people and heads down the ramp. The world seems to whirl around him at high speed as he moves through at a snail's pace. Rian grunts at the familiar smells of the docks hit him. It's not the most pleasant of smells but it is enough to kick in a second wind, knowing his recent trip is near complete.

Moving through the people, Rian makes his way to the nearest locale off the main docks that seems decent enough to stop in, glancing at the sign "The Ivory Rose" just briefly enough to identify it as a place for food, drink, and a bit of quiet. Opening the door, he looks around until given the indication whether he would be seated or if he could seat himself.
Posted Image

Kildaro
Member Avatar

Kildaro stood at the bar, cleaning and sanitizing the glasses they used so they'd be ready for use again. It was mind-numbing work, but it still needed doing.

It had bee a crazy couple of days since Abe and Octavius left. He had gotten to play the "secret spy" when he used his knowledge to help get Kyle to Darwin. It was electrifying, but not something he would want to do for a living. He'd leave that up to the professionals. The only thing he was a professional at was bartending, which he loved to do.

Luckily, the craziness with the so called quarantine had ended not long after Abe, Octavius and the others left. There had been some looting, but the Ivory Rose was spared from that.

Kildaro was just happy to be doing what he did. So when a new fellow stepped inside the building, he gave him a warm, easy smile.

"You can sit just about anywhere," he called out. "You looking for a drink or some food? Or both?"

He did hope that if it was food, it was something simple. Ayden wasn't doing well after her run in with Ink (see here). She said she was fine, but Kildaro wasn't so sure. Jinn had been helping out when she could, but she couldn't cook anywhere near how Ayden could.

And here at the Ivory Rose, they had a reputation to protect.
Posted Image

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

Quote:

"You can sit just about anywhere," he called out.

Rian hoists his duffel bag up again onto his shoulder and gives Kildaro a quick nod of acknowledgement, giving a room another scan for a spot to sit.

Quote:

"You looking for a drink or some food? Or both?"

Seems he would have to break his silence on this request. He clears his throat of the thick build up from a long trip breathing recycled air, "Aye..." his voice cracks and he lets out a forceful cough before continuing, "Glass of water and a pint the darkest stout you have on tap. Happen to have any crisps or anything of the sort?" He asks, trying to not sound as exhausted as he looks while keeping his brogue as light as possible. He made his way over to one of the booths, putting the bag down on the floor and giving it a push with his foot before sitting on the seat. He slides back to the wall to be able to keep an eye out on the room if needed, but lulls his head back and takes a calculated interest in the ceiling - anything to keep his mind going at this point.
Posted Image

Wayde Sullivan
Member Avatar

"Now comin' from a man who has never used anal beads before, I put my right foot up onto her arse cheek and pull them like I'm tryin' to start a chainsaw. The next thing I know is that I look like I tried to make a chocolate milkshake without puttin' the bloody lid back on!" Wayde tells a smattering of homeless, prostitutes and other destitutes that live and breathe on the Eavesdown that are circled around him. "Believe you me, lads and lasses. It smelled worse than it looked and you would of thought someone was bloody murdered in that room. I end up grabbin' my clothes and leg it on out of there. One of the worst Sundays I've ever experienced." His Irish brogue thick as amber whisky while he glances over the crowd then wets the tip of thumb and forefinger on his lower lip before proceeding to turn a page of a bible he holds in his left hand.

"To which in brings forth, in Luke 14:5, 'And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?'. What I'm trying to say is that instead of fulfilling one's needs and desires on the holy day of sabbath, one should praise the Lord instead of turning away from Him, lest you want to be covered in feces from a poor brazzer who likes pieces of wood and porcelain crammed up her arse." Wayde claps the bible shut and slips it into the inside pocket of his leather vest. "That concludes today's sermon. Next week we will talk about Jonah and the whale, bangin' your next door neighbor and how both pieces of fish can swallow up your entire life."

Wayde turns his attention towards the Ivory Rose across the street, casting a slight grin on his thin lips as the prospect of a stiff drink and sub-par meal may be in order. Making sure the street is clear before crossing, Wayde strolls in a casual manner towards the infamous place where travelers tend to migrate from all over the Eavesdown. A firm hand grips the handle to the door and pulls it open, the burly Irishman stepping inside.

"Whose John Thomas do I have to kiss to get a feckin' scotch?" Wayde asks in crude manner while flashing a wide Chesire cat-like grin.
Posted Image

Kildaro
Member Avatar

Kildaro waited for his new customer to say what he'd like.

"Aye..." *cough* "Glass of water and a pint the darkest stout you have on tap. Happen to have any crisps or anything of the sort?"

Kildaro chuckled as he poured exactly what the customer was asking for and walked it over to the booth where he had sat down.

"Been in the black for a while?" he asked as he sat it down. Then he scratched his head as he placed a menu on the table. "Not quite sure what crisps are, but Ayden's a fine cook. I am sure she has something that will foot your fancy. I will send a waitress by in a moment."

Sensing that the guy might be tired and want to gather himself up, Kildaro retreated to the bar and looked into the kitchen where Ayden was working. She was moving slow and painfully. He had asked, no begged, her to go get some medical attention, but she wouldn't. She just said she was fine.

He knew she wasn't, but he couldn't make her go. He just kept an eye on her, ready to help her in a minute.

Then the door opened and in came Wayde Sullivan, boisterous as ever.

"Whose John Thomas do I have to kiss to get a feckin' scotch?"

Kildaro held his hands up in surrender.

"I ain't kissing you, preacher man," he said with a smile. "Only female here at the moment is Ayden and she's still pissed off at you."

He moved around and poured the scotch and pushed it on the bar for him.

"One of the girls will be down in a bit. Just finishing some business you know."
Posted Image

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

As Kildaro places the glasses down in front of Rian, he gives a silent thanks in the form of a lifted brow and a slight nod. He slides himself upright and takes a hold of his water glass, taking a large quaff from it.

"Been in the black for a while?"

Rian bobs his head a few more times while he drinks, glancing to the menu. He looks on with a furrowed brow.

"Not quite sure what crisps are, but Ayden's a fine cook. I'm sure she has something that will foot your fancy. I will send a waitress by in a moment."

He looks from the menu and back to Kildaro as he heads off then back down to the menu. He swallows his water as he repeats to himself, "Not quite sure what crisps are?"

Letting out a forceful sigh, he rubs his hand over his stubble and up the side of his face, attempting to wake up a little more as he opens the menu to the appetizers, glancing at the offerings.

The all-too-familiar voice of Wayde rang out through the dining room. Rian lets out a knowing groan that only a sibling could, busying himself with the menu again. Potatoes. Shaved thin, fried, seasoned with salt and pepper. Small, medium, large orders. he reads then glances up to Kildaro with more confusion.

"One of the girls will be down in a bit. Just finishing some business you know."

"Malegebazi..." Rian winces, mentally kicking himself. Of all places to be - no - of all places to be and have your brother with you - no, not even that - of all places to be and have Wayde with you, he chose a bar and grill with a brothel. He puts his hands over his face, sliding them down as he glances up to the ceiling again, "Just once. Please? I don't know why you always side with him." he mutters.
Posted Image

Jinn
Member Avatar

Thump! Thump! Thump!

She giggled at the rhythmic percussive beat of the headboard against the wall, in between gasps and happy moans, of course, as she looked down at her client with a pleasant smile. Truth be told, he was rather average in all ways, but he preferred her on top, which gave her a bit more to do than normal. Usually, with the average johns, she was forced to just lie there. She didn't mind playing cowgirl every now and again.

And she was damned good at it, too.

After a few more moments, it was over, and she lay beside the man, catching her breath as she ran her fingers through the dark hair on his chest. He was kind and gentle and he didn't push her away after she'd made him finish, and what else could a girl ask for in this place?

He looked over at her, his dark, curly hair plastered to his forehead. She propped her head up on her free arm, and shot him a wink. "Time's almost up, sailor. Don't forget to fill out the comment card on the dresser, dong ma? Feedback helps to improve services." She giggled again at her little joke, but for a moment, he seemed like he believed there was such a thing.

===

The hallway was empty as she made her way out, wrapped in a soft, terry robe, and strode barefoot through toward her own room, and her bath. She could hear the sounds of pleasure coming from at least one other room, which made her smile. It was good when everyone met their quotas. Whatever keeps Ink from taking it out on us.

She sighed, closing her door and starting to draw her bath, the robe immediately discarded to the floor. She thought of Ayden, and the number that Ink had done on her. It was a pretty bad beating, unfortunately. But Ayden was tough, and was refusing help. Jinn wasn't sure whether or not that was wise, but she knew better than to try to talk Ayden into anything she didn't want.

She slipped into the steaming water, closing her eyes and heaving another sigh. The heat felt good on her well-exercised muscles. For a moment, she forgot that she was one of the Dockies. She let herself believe that she was anywhere else, with any other job in the Verse. Just for a moment.

===

It wasn't that she hated the job, just the circumstances of it. There were worse ways to make a living, and having the Ivory Rose as a haven made it a bit easier to swallow, no pun intended. She pulled on a black tank top, over her tawny skirt and modestly heeled shoes, and inspected herself in the mirror. Just enough makeup to make it look like she didn't need any, hair straight and flirty. A pair of gold studs in her lobes, a gift from a favorite client.

All in all, looking good.

She slipped back out of her room and made her way toward the stairway to the Rose proper. She could hear boisterous voices coming from the bar area, and knew that there were men there waiting. Maybe she'd pick up another client for the night, maybe not. Either way, she would be having some fun. She strode down the stairs, seeing Kildaro and two customers. Not as many as she'd hoped, for all the noise. Seeing that Kildaro had engaged the one already, she made her way toward the one who wasn't bald. The one seated at the table.

The cuter one, naturally.

"Thanks for comin' to the Ivory Rose, stranger. Fancy something to eat?"

She leaned her hip against the table's edge, a bit flirtily. Once more unto the breach.
Posted Image

Wayde Sullivan
Member Avatar

"That lass still tiffed at me?" Wayde retorts towards Kildaro, a soft smile playing on his thin lips as he approaches the bar counter to procure his beverage. Thick fingers wrap around the glass and grasps it firmly before bringing it to his lips then taking a gentle sip. "I wasn't the one who served a piece of meat so foul that even she wouldn't put it in her mouth if you paid her." The stoic Irishman points towards Jinn then leans against the bar counter as he nurses his drink. Steel blue eyes begin to mingle about the bar before falling upon his younger brother, nearly doing a double take out of sheer amazement.

"Look at what the feckin' cat dragged in!" Wayde exclaims, raising his hands in the air in a celebratory manner. "My litter brother, Rian! It's good to see you home once again. Did you finally get your cock gobbled?" Blunt like a baseball bat to the back of the head.
Posted Image

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

With a final draw, Rian drains the rest of his water as Jinn approaches.

"Thanks for comin' to the Ivory Rose, stranger. Fancy something to eat?"

Rian glances to the end of the table and quickly places the back of his hand against his mouth, swallowing hard. His sea-green eyes widen a bit as he looked up to her. Lowering his hand he opens the menu and points to the entree of home-fried potato chips "Crisps... I mean, chips... ah, jīchē... just bring me some cooked potatoes. Surprise me." he says, sliding the menu over to her.

"Look at what the feckin' cat dragged in! My little brother, Rian! It's good to see you home once again. Did you finally get your cock gobbled?"

"Ah, ha-ha... Wayde." Rian forces himself a weak, exhausted smile with tone to match. "Not even going to entertain you with a reply on that one." he holds up the empty water glass to Kildaro momentarily and places it at the end of his table, saving his beer once he can get the taste stale air and machine grease off his palate from his journey.
Posted Image

Ayden Richter
Member Avatar

Ayden hurt. Likereally hurt. Her face was still black and blue, although the swelling around her eye was going down some. At least she could see again. But it was her ribs and stomach that were the worse. A kick by Ink (he was a big man) and a pummeling she took there was just not letting up.

But she couldn't abandon her post. Leah, Jinn and Lanie needed her to stay open or they might not be able to make quota.

So she trudged on. Keeping one arm wrapped around her middle for protection, she continued to cook. She was slower, but she adjusted her menu to help out.

Then she heard a voice that just grated on her nerves.

She bristled and turned towards the asswad who amazingly came in a lotsince he professed to hate her cooking.

"I ain't kissing you, preacher man," "Only female here at the moment is Ayden and she's still pissed off at you."

She could always count on Kildaro. Even tempered and ever her champion.

"That lass still tiffed at me?" "I wasn't the one who served a piece of meat so foul that even she wouldn't put it in her mouth if you paid her."

OK. That did it. He did not just insult her and Jinn. She took the dish off the stove, wiped her hands very gingerly on her apron and strode out to the dining room, forgetting that she had kept a low profile on account of being as banged up as she was.

"Look at what the feckin' cat dragged in! My little brother, Rian! It's good to see you home once again. Did you finally get your cock gobbled?"

Did the man have any couth?

It was amusing to see that this brother of his seemed as happy to see him ad she did.

"Ah, ha-ha... Wayde." "Not even going to entertain you with a reply on that one."

He seemed more polite too.

She tapped Wayde on his shoulder then.

"You should drop that steak, Reverend. I told you not to eat it. The grade was shit, but it was all I could get and that one general insisted that I make it," she retorted with a fire in her eyes and shoulders squared. "But noooooo.... You just had to be stubborn!"

The extra body movement she used to emphasize her point lit her insides up and she couldn't help but grimace in pain, leaning on a table when she suddenly felt like doubling over. Which, by the by, would have hurt too.

"So just drop it. It's your own gorram fault," she said barely above a whisper. "Gorram stubborn mule of a man."

I have to get back to the kitchen and sit down for a spell.
Posted Image

Jinn
Member Avatar

”Crisps… I mean, chips… ah, jiche… just bring me some cooked potatoes. Surprise me.”

She wasn’t sure what the cause of his being flustered was, but it was slightly adorable regardless. She gave him a soft giggle, ”Potato Surprise it is. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, despite what…” She glanced over at Wayde again. Could they possibly be brothers? How? ”That one seems to claim. He’s in here an awful lot for someone who claims to have gotten bad food. Ayden is the best, even when she’s not at her best. ‘Sides, how can any cook worth a damn mess up a potato, right?” She leaned in toward him a bit, the scoop neck of her tank top doing its thing. ”If there’s anything else you need, yingjun, you just let me know. Jinn’s the name: call it and I’ll come runnin’ for ya, darlin’.” She stood again, her hips wiggling and causing the skirt to swish from side to side. She turned, then, and made her way toward the kitchen, where Ayden had disappeared to, making a detour past Wayde.

”Maybe the steak was just too challenging for you, huh preacherman? Maybe we’ll bring you a nice salad instead, something a bit more dainty?” She drew her finger from one shoulder, across the man’s broad back, and off the other side as she sashayed by him. ”Lord knows we shouldn’t be servin’ you alcohol. Your bellowing is loud enough without nature’s microphone in your belly.” She stuck her tongue out at him, then gave a playful wink to Kildaro on her way through the doorway to find Ayden again.

”Cutie-pie at the table wants to be surprised. I think he just meant fry some potatoes however you like, but who knows? Maybe I’ll just climb in his lap and see if that startles him.” She stole another peek in Rian’s direction. ”Looks kinda skittish, thinkin’ on it. Like a deer, y’know? Course, growin’ up with that ox for a brother, he’s lucky he’s not dead.”
Posted Image

Wayde Sullivan
Member Avatar

While taking a sip off his scotch, his attention is drawn by the tapping on his shoulder and turns to look down at Ayden, a quizzical expression dotting his visage. "Whoa! Calm your horses before you start cutting them into rib-eyes." Wayde replies after Ayden tears into him with her words, taking a step back from her. It is at that moment he takes notice of the bruising upon Ayden and his steely gaze narrows slightly.

"Listen, lass...." His smoky Irish words hang on the edge of his lips then lets out a gentle sigh. "I didn't mean any bad about the steak. Sure it was a bit tough and I may have chipped a tooth but your cooking isn't bad. It's actually quite damn good. I can honestly say I've never had a bad meal here." His words sincere as he flashes a gentle grin and lifts his glass to Ayden in a quiet acknowledgement before taking another sip.

Once again, his attention is drawn away like a child in a room full of shiny baubles as Wayde flashes a lop-sided grin at Jinn. "Nothing wrong with a good salad, lass. I like to eat those gluten-free, carb-free salads all the time." Wayde ponders for a moment, raising an eyebrow as he rubs the tip of his chin with the edge of his scotch glass. "Those are just bowls of bacon. My mistake." At the pure mention of cutting off his alcohol, the jovial Irishman lets out a hearty laugh. "Me without any spirits is like you without a John - Sure we can go the entire day without one but we aren't going to get shit done. God bless you, lass!" He flashes a playful wink at Jinn before returning to the amber current of his drink. glancing back over at Rian and shakes his bald head. At the mention of personal time being mentioned for Rian, a devious set of cogs begin to turn within his mind.

"Good luck with that one, lass. The only time my brother ever got his nethers wet was when his boys plopped into the commode water. I'm guessing that he'd either scream in terror or cream the inside of his trousers. Either way, it's bound to be a really good time for him." Wayde says to Jinn in a casual manner as he reaches into his vest pocket, withdrawing a few credits and sets them down on the bar counter, cocking his bald head from Jinn to Rian.
Posted Image

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

”Potato Surprise it is. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, despite what… that one seems to claim. He’s in here an awful lot for someone who claims to have gotten bad food. Ayden is the best, even when she’s not at her best. ‘Sides, how can any cook worth a damn mess up a potato, right?”

"Right. I guess?" truth be told, Rian lost track of what Jinn was saying just after 'Potato Surprise it is' only to nod in agreeance with her. The ache for sleep had started to creep back onto him and his eyes now began to ache the more he forced them to stay open. The din between those in the room became white noise to him, eyelids now sliding shut with the occasional opening twitch when someone put emphasis on a word.

"Good luck with that one, lass. The only time my brother ever got his nethers wet was when his boys plopped into the commode water. I'm guessing that he'd either scream in terror or cream the inside of his trousers. Either way, it's bound to be a really good time for him." Wayde's interjection stirs him as he just barely catches the jab at his expense.

"Feck. Off." Something definitely stirred within him as his tone completely changed from the light brogue into a more richer, stern, brogue that made the brotherly connection much more plausible, "OY! Goddamn untouchable Wayde the god damn far east, feckin' get yer garden hose outta me private strife, willya? Feckin' Myleene. Not everyone's all about the thruppenny and Nat like you. Lay off, I'm feckin' cream-crackered. I just want a bit of Spanish, maybe a Blackpool if I'm lucky, and a soot. Dong ma?" he glances to Kildaro, expecting the usual lost expression. Guess that was one way to wake up. This was now, what, fifth wind? Not much left in there now.
Posted Image

Kildaro
Member Avatar

Kildaro winced as he watched Ayden come out of the Kitchen, heading for Wayde Sullivan.

She looked bad. And she looked to be in pain. Kildaro just wanted to beat the shit out of Ink, but he rather liked all his pieces parts where they should be. He wished that Octavius and Abe were still there. It would be nice to have some security around there.

He missed most of what was being said by everyone as he took in her injuries. She had to have some broken ribs by the look of how she held her one arm wrapped around them. The swelling on her face had gone down some, but it still looked way too fresh.

He wished he could call someone for her. Like a friend or a family member, but she didn't seem to have anyone. Everyone who was important in her life was right here at the Ivory Rose. He suspected that was also why she was pushing herself. She wanted to make sure the girls met quota and without her cooking, the draw would be a fraction of what it was now.

"You should drop that steak, Reverend. I told you not to eat it. The grade was shit, but it was all I could get and that one general insisted that I make it," "But noooooo.... You just had to be stubborn!"

The way she motioned to emphasize her point made Kildaro wince again. That had to hurt and obviously, it did. She swayed and probably would have collapsed if she hadn't gotten a hold of a table to steady herself.

"So just drop it. It's your own gorram fault," "Gorram stubborn mule of a man."

Yep. She was hurting. Bad. The preacher obviously noticed this too, because he could read it across his face.

"Listen, lass...." "I didn't mean any bad about the steak. Sure it was a bit tough and I may have chipped a tooth but your cooking isn't bad. It's actually quite damn good. I can honestly say I've never had a bad meal here."

That's for darn sure.

His eyes and attention went back to watching Ayden return to the kitchen without responding to the preacher. He heard Jinn talking to the two men for a bit before she went back into the kitchen after her. He didn't know what to do and he knew he had to say something to someone. Maybe the preacher could help. He took the time to walk over to talk to him.

"Feck. Off." "OY! Goddamn untouchable Wayde the god damn far east, feckin' get yer garden hose outta me private strife, willya? Feckin' Myleene. Not everyone's all about the thruppenny and Nat like you. Lay off, I'm feckin' cream-crackered. I just want a bit of Spanish, maybe a Blackpool if I'm lucky, and a soot. Dong ma?"

Kildaro's eyes widened. He'd like to get the man what he wanted, but his dialect was beyond understanding. He shook his head a little and turned to Wayde.

"She won't stop to rest. She's keeping on her feet so Jinn, Leah and Lanie have a place to supplement their income. We have to do something and I don't know what that would be. She won't listen to any of us," he said in desperation. "I think she is hurt more than she says and I am afraid for her. I tried to get her to go get some medical attention, but she refuses..."

Kildaro was at a loss and until Wayde responded, he turned to the other man.

"And could you speak in English? Or Chinese? You're not exactly the clearest guy on the docks," he sighed. He caught some of it though and knew the guy was tired. "We have a couple of rooms to rent, if you need a place to lay your head, but as for any food or drink you'd like, I am not sure what you need."
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Ivory Rose · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow Lost In Serenity
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks