Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Got your six; The tale of Dani and Rian
Topic Started: Jun 7 2016, 12:11 PM (2,478 Views)
Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

2506|10|25

War and rumors of war. It's the whisperings of nightmares for anyone with an ounce of religiosity - as those out towards the rim would put it. Being raised in a Catholic home, it might as well harken the second coming - though Rian always wondered if the good Lord did come back, to where would he return? Earth-That-Was or out here in the Verse?

Rian reclines in his bunk, thumbing through the pages of one of the few books he brought with him to pass the time in the shuttle from Persephone to Athens and to try to keep his mind off home.

He didn't leave off on the best of foot. His brother, Wayde, was quite against his running off to a war he felt wasn't something they need to concern themselves with. Instead, he wanted Rian to be ring-side for him as his medical personnel. But Rian was not content in sitting aside to let history repeat - nothing good has ever come of a group of people telling others how to live their lives regardless if it was well meaning or not. It was an impossible task to do on one planet, how the guai did the Alliance think it could happen across multiple worlds? But to pick up arms and fight? Well, it was this or following in his father's footsteps as a dock worker by day and icing down his brother's injuries by night. He licks his finger and turns a page.

The shuttle shudders with its breaking of atmo, Rian sits up and claps the book shut and places it back in his bag as he sits and waits to land.

"We'll be on the ground in two." the captain's voice crackles through the intercom system. Rian was lucky to find this ship. It was hard enough to find anyone heading out this way, with the start of the war and all. The captain was a gruff old man who didn't seem to care one way or another - he just wanted to do as he always had - buy low, ship out, sell for profit, repeat. His kingdom was his ship and he would share it with those who seemed trustworthy enough... and had the coin.

Rian gathers up his things, hoisting a sea bag onto his shoulder and heading down to the cargo bay to disembark. The captain holds out his hand and gives Rian a firm shake, clapping his other hand on Rian's shoulder, "Still think you're ruttin' shiang jing, but I suppose that ain't my problem. Good luck, son."

"Yes, thanks for the lift." Rian answers awkwardly. He really wasn't one for small talk. After a pregnant pause, he turns and heads down the ramp, stepping off onto the rock that is to be his "new home". The ramp lifts, sealing the shuttle and the ship takes off, leaving him behind a mile or two outside the nearest town where he would catch a ride out to the training camp once he made it into town.

-----

"What is your name, private!" Rian stands at attention among others in queue, sergeants barking out at them, keeping them in line.

"Sah, Private Sullivan, Sah." he answers.

"Gorramit, boy - I can't understand a gorram word you are saying! Sah? SAH? We ain't under no Alliance controlled world! Your fanciful sah liken you tah get shot if'n you ain't careful! I said what is your gorram name, private?!" the sergeant orders again.

"Sir." Rian bites into his r, "Private Sullivan, sir"

The look of over-played shock sweeps over the sergeant like a believer at a faith healing gathering, "Look at that, he can speak English! Out-gorram-standing, private! Now march your ruttin' pi gu forward!"

Keep the accent in check, check. Shouldn't be too bad, Rian figures. Just like dealing with mum, only without the wooden spoon and guilt trips while speaking like a version of his brother who grew up on the rim. Could be worse.

While making his way through the line, he receives his uniform, an inoculation, and was asked a series of questions like 'Do you have experience with firearms', ("Yeah, I guess, some."), 'Do you have experience in hand-to-hand combat?' ("I've got a brother, so, yeah, I'd say I do."), 'Do you have any medical knowledge?' ("Sure, if you count patching up a sibling after a row.").

"Field medic!" the person barks out down the line.

"Wot?" Rian asks, incredulously, "I was being a smarmy git. I'm no field medic." he back peddles.

"Either way, we need medics. You'll get training."

By training, it was meant shown how to administer stim shots and apply med foam to wounds. He was barely there a week as Athens seemed to be more of a staging area to sort the recruits and get them out on the field to fight.

"Allan, Bao, Deng, Dunbar, Fielder, Jansen, Rowell, Scott, Sullivan, Woo, Yang, Zhang! Fall in line! Load up, ship out!" The sergeant called out the list of names to the privates, ushering them to a ship. The crew board, the ramp closes. Rian looks to the others he would be sharing quarters with for the next leg of his journey...
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andrea

"Alright, gather yer gear everyone. Transport's landing as I speak...in other words, move your pi gu yesterday!" The Sergeant boomed with his steely eyes lancing each and every one of the new recruits in one of many groups like invisible spears.

Danira hefted her overstuffed gear bag over her shoulder with ease. Her dirty blonde hair was tucked under her BDU cap with rogue strands falling to her shoulders. She wasn't muscular by any means, yet she was fit enough and surprisingly strong from helping her father move scrap and parts around their family yard.

After arriving via a quick jog at the landing pad, the Sergeant felt it too nice for being taken in the trucks, and waiting for the group ahead to finish loading, Dani's group began shuffling up into the ship that'd be her home for the upcoming few weeks.
Looking around she noticed it was far from a luxury liner. Not that she'd been on one, but only seen images of from junk mail brochures telling her Father he'd been selected for a free round trip to somewhere on a cruise.

As long as this tub flew and remained air tight Dani didn't really care. She'd gone camping with her Father in a tent on the ground with only the basics so how bad would it be?

"Scott! I realize it's gorram loud in here, but I do so hate repeating myself...follow the yellow line to your billet and stop holding up the line."The grizzled old Sergeant of the ship checked off her name on his tablet and watched her disappear around a corner with a shake of his head. ..."Richards!"

----------------

The cabin was cramped to say the least, and stuffy from an air system that seemed to be straining. Dani figured it'd get worse once they got going with all the bodies on the ship. But, it was only meant for moving personnel after all. A part of her itched to go to the engine room and begin analyzing and problem solving until the unit ran better. Well, it wasn't her problem. But, a little TlC never hurt either.

Dani stepped over the knee-knocker lip of the hatch and saw other recruits unpacking their personal effects on their bunks. She gave them a nod and soft 'hey' so as not to seem rude. Seeing a vacant, upper bunk on the right, she tossed her bag up onto it with ease and scrambled up to sit back against the bulkhead pulling the duffel bag over her lap. And, unzipping it pulled out a framed picture of herself as a little girl with her father. For a few moments the bulkheads around her seemed to dissolve and was replaced by her home as she closed her eyes. Until a voice shook her back to reality.

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

Stuffed in like sardines. The ship looked a bit worse for wear, like the Browncoats grabbed whatever they could from Ito and patched it up enough to limp it off world. The bunks themselves looked downright dangerous. He didn't dare take an upper bunk in fear that he'd break it, crushing the person below him. One by one they filed in, cabins getting filled up until his indecision caused him to take what was left. It was a bottom bunk under a slip of a female who was propped up in her bed, staring off in her own world - probably for the best as Rian was nearly to her shoulders as he stood on the floor. He ducked down to allow her what little privacy the group quarters allowed, tossing his sea bag onto his bed.

"Don't get too settled in. Once we break atmo, everyone is to report to the commons." a voice squelched over the speaker.

"Mm... wonder if we'll gather in a circle and do the name rhyme game. Won't that be fun?" Rian muttered to himself, inspecting the joints of his bed before deciding to give it a trial with his full weight and the weight of his sea bag. Seemed to take well enough, though he wondered what the likelihood was to track down another bracer just to be on the safe side. Once the rumbling subsided to a, well, relatively smoother journey - the group made its way to the commons.
Posted Image

Danira Scott
Member Avatar

"Don't get too settled in. Once we break atmo, everyone is to report to the commons."

As if a switch were flipped, the images and memories disappeared to the dark recesses of her mind for a later time. Danira sighed softly as she returned the picture to the bag while listening to the announcement. Meet and greet show.

The metal joints and springs of the bunk continued to creak and protest the slightest movement like the rest of the ship seemed to be doing as someone occupied the bed below her. A small smile at the thought of the bunk giving way and landing on him or her even as she reached out and grabbed the frame for ease of mind it wouldn't actually happen.

There was also an increased scent of oil and heated electrical components that assaulted her nose as the engines rumbled to life. Dani envisioned the engine room and cringed. Though, she knew the ship's crew were doing their best to hold her together with what they had.

"I wonder what they're going to tell us?" Dani said to no one in particular and anyone who was listening. She maneuvered her body to swing her legs over the edge of the bunk then carefully jumped to the metal deck. Turning, she reached up to grab her cap and placed it on her head not bothering to stuff her hair underneath being it was still regulation length. Her eyes shifting to each of her bunk mates. "I suppose we should know each others names being we'll be nice an' cozy an' all for a few weeks. I'm Danira Scott. Mechanic's Division." She offered simply.

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

"I wonder what they're going to tell us?" the female residing above Rian asked before hopping down from the bunk above. "I suppose we should know each others names being we'll be nice an' cozy an' all for a few weeks. I'm Danira Scott. Mechanic's Division."

The other female turned to look to her, "Bao Lin." she bowed slightly, "Cavalry Scout." She certainly looked lithe and light on her feet enough to be fairly effective at her position. She was to the point with her words, saying nothing more than what needed to be said.

The other male in the room glanced up, "Rex Jansen, heavy vehicle operator. I'll be the one cutting through the Alliance, you can thank me later for that." he says with an air of smug superiority. Rian internally groaned. It was too early in the trip to find that guy whom he loathed to be around.

Eyes turned to him, "Oh, um... Rian Sullivan." he says quickly, still trying to rein in his brogue, "Medic. I think we better head out before we're late to the party." he motioned to the exit as shuffled footsteps could be heard heading away from their compartment and down the passageway. He slides out from the bunk with a silent prayer it would continue to hold and ducks down as he steps out through the hatch, stepping back to let the others go before him.
Posted Image

Danira Scott
Member Avatar

Dani studied each of them as they made their brief introductions. Mentally, she rolled her eyes as Rex spoke. If he lifted his chin any higher, he'd need an EVA suit to breath. Bao didn't look all that intimidating, but, something told Dani otherwise. Looks could be deceiving.
Rian. It was obvious to Dani he was trying to put a leash on his thick accent. But, why? She liked that Irish tongue. Hard to understand at times yes, but there were worse out there. And it was almost intoxicating to listen to.

"I think we better head out before we're late to the party."

Out in the corridor, after finding a break in the long line, Dani stepped stepped into place wondering what hammer would befall them at the meeting.

------

She wasn't big on un-moving crowds in small spaces, so Dani took up a spot near the hatch which remained open for air flow as little as there was.

"Atten-hut!" Barked a short, stocky officer causing a unified snapping together of spit shined boots, and perfect formation.

After a moment of dead silence, a high ranking officer, a major appeared through another hatch followed by her armed entourage. The smile she gave the recruits was far from friendly, almost sarcastic. "At ease and listen up..."

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

Rian was the last to enter, taking a place in the back and able to see over the heads of the others.

"Atten-hut!" the order barked out from the fore, causing a chorus of boots stepping together on the metal floor only to be told a few seconds later, "At ease and listen up..." from yet another.

"I am Major Hensley. Welcome to your new home for the next few weeks. You will be responsible for keeping this can flying as we make our way to Boros." she said, pacing across the floor, "Any of you with half a brain cell would know it doesn't take a few weeks to get to Boros from Athens, but we are not granted the luxury of the best at this time, but we will use it to our advantage to instill teamwork." she turns and paces back the other way. "You will have your chores which will be assigned to you after this gathering. And any of you who are not up to this task are more than welcome to leave. We just ask you lock the airlock hatch firmly behind you first. That is all." she turned and headed back through the hatch as if she wasn't paid enough to spend any more time with them.

"Lovely." Rian says, looking around again.

"Line up for your duties. You will receive a ration pack at this time as well! After your meal, we will convene in the aft compartment for PT." the stocky officer shouted again - obviously not used to the narrow quarters which caused his voice to amplify. One by one they received a plain envelope with their last name printed on it and a sealed bag with their ration.

Rian opened his envelope, latrine duty, PM dishes, minor repairs, and med duties as required. "Guess it could be worse." he glances around again, noting some of the others were starting to take seats in the dining area. He wasn't quite ready to embrace the whole 'family' aspect just yet and instead retreated back to his rickety bunk and pulled out a more familiar friend from his seabag, a small squarish book on plants and their many uses. He tore open his ration which contained a protein bar, a powdered mix, and a second protein bar that was much like the first, but was to have a sweeter taste to it. He took a bite out of the regular protein bar, flipped open his book, and started re-reading the entry on amaranth as if committing it to memory.
Posted Image

Danira Scott
Member Avatar

"Line up for your duties. You will receive a ration pack at this time as well! After your meal, we will convene in the aft compartment for PT."

Now for the hurry up and wait phase. The mess hall filled quickly, so Dani decided to head back to the cabin before her body was subject to a physical beating of exercising she really hadn't had to do. Lifting and carrying heavy parts and lying on her back under a vehicle of some sort was about it working with her father before joining up. So, she could only imagine the torture they'd put her through.

"I heard they screw with new recruits during PT by adjusting the ship's atmosphere systems." Dani stated as she entered the cabin and saw Rian already there.

"Good. They put me in the engine room, umm including exterior maintenance...interesting, galley duty, and laundry...ok, that bites." She muttered at the last unpleasing thought of handling dirty, sweaty, unfamiliar uniforms, while reading down the list.

"What all did you get stuck with?" She found herself asking as she looked over at him reading a book. "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to bother you." She stated sheepishly.

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

Rian partially glanced up as Dani re-entered their living quarters as he licked a finger to turn the page. "Good. They put me in the engine room, umm including exterior maintenance...interesting, galley duty, and laundry...ok, that bites.""What all did you get stuck with?""Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to bother you."

He glanced over the various pictures of the amaranth flower before perking a brow, "No bother, love. Just toilet duty, dishes, and basic repairs while I hope no one needs medical attention beyond a plaster or pain killers." he said, still holding back his brogue. Taking another bite off his protein bar, he flipped to the next page, "Just keep that in mind while in the galley. Won't be able to do much for an upset stomach." he said through the unchewed chunk of bar stuffed to the side of his mouth while he looked to the page of his book. Rian looked back up to her and gave a quick sigh, shutting his book and stuffing it back in his sea bag. Sitting upright, he gives her a light smile "Pardon my manners, it has been a wild ride these last few days. So whereabouts are you from?"
Posted Image

Danira Scott
Member Avatar

"No bother, love. Just toilet duty, dishes, and basic repairs while I hope no one needs medical attention beyond a plaster or pain killers."

Dani pulled out the lone chair from under the less than new desk that was positioned between the bunks. Turning it askew, she sat down and shoved her hand into the packet to pull out her own protein bar, which she wrinkled a nose at after taking a bite. It was going to be a long trip."Want to keep us busy I suppose." She flicked her gaze in his direction at the 'love' tag. Which he seemed to be fighting the pronunciation.

"Pardon my manners, it has been a wild ride these last few days. So whereabouts are you from?"

She stopped in mid-bite at the unexpected question. Though, in afterthought it was bound to happen. Curiosity went hand in hand sometimes with boredom when there wasn't much else to do. "Planet near Georgia. Three Hills. Lived just outside of town with my Father." Dani offered the limited information as she bit off another mouthful from the bland bar. "You?"

Dani was mostly a reserved individual, but she wasn't rude either. Her Daddy always told her 'No sense in bein' rude. Nothing comes of it.' She entertained the generally harmless small talk or even befriending eventually with time. Inevitable being on a military transport with three other bunkmates.

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

A corner of Rian's mouth turns up in a half-smile to the logical follow-up question. "Eavesdown Docks on Persephone." he replied. "I know, it seems I'm a bit out of place, but I do have my reasons for my choice." he takes another bite off the bar, giving a pointed pause as they chew. "So, is it your first time away from home?" he asked.

"It's not my first time. I was born to sail the black. Joined my first crew at the age of 11. Worked as a cargo boy with the best ship this side of Georgia system - The Heroes Helm. Captain trusted me with his MULEs by 14. It came to me naturally, you know." Rex said, stepping through the hatch.

"I could only imagine." Rian said flatly.

"Yup. Haven't found anyone who can match my prowess behind the wheel. Such a shame I can't give you a demonstration being in here. Probably for the better, I wouldn't want to blow your mind.".

"Indeed, such a shame." Rian glanced back over to Dani, rolling his eyes.

Rex tossed the rest of his ration onto his bunk, "See you at PT, can't wait. I'm going to need a vet 'cause these puppies are sick." he curled his arms, flexing his biceps, then stepped back through the hatch.

Rian looked on in utter confusion, "What just happpened?"
Posted Image

Danira Scott
Member Avatar

Dani had finished her food bar when Rex strolled in and began talking. It seemed to be one of his flaws. Opening his mouth. Dani just rolled her eyes and reached up to her bunk to drag a paperback novel from her seabag. Rex was still talking. Was there an off switch?

"Yup. Haven't found anyone who can match my prowess behind the wheel. Such a shame I can't give you a demonstration being in here. Probably for the better, I wouldn't want to blow your mind."

"Indeed, such a shame." This from Rian.

Back in the chair flipping to her last read page, Dani couldn't help but snicker.

"What just happened?" Rian asked after Rex left.

"Rex happened. Getting gorram crowded in here with that ego. But, I've got a nice mechanic's tap that could deflate it." Now she laughed out loud.

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

2506|11|19

"No, no, no, no-...!" Rian shouted as if his voice and will would magically stop the spewing dirty water from shooting every where while his hands flailed around for the disposal unit's off switch. Once flicked off Rian stood glaring at the sink as sludge from that night's dinner (and possibly breakfat and lunch) soaked through his shirt, covering his face and arms.

"I thought you fixed that yesterday, Irish." Rex said with a smirk, looking up from sorting through trash.

"I said it would be a temporary fix for now until I could find the pieces I need to fix it. Don't exactly have a wide selection of hardware out here." Rian quipped back then gave a disgruntled sigh, "I'll be right back." he said, abandoning his evening dishes shift that he has been so fortunate to have the honor of being teamed up with Rex on PM trash duty. Stepping through the ship, he made his way back to the engine room. "Dani?" he called out over the groaning of whirrling parts responsible for keeping them moving to their destination, "Dani, ya back 'ere, Love? I need t'borrow a few tools if ya don't mind." he said without any hessitation on his brogue.
Posted Image

Danira Scott
Member Avatar

The more Danira was shown the engine bay and rest of the ship by the Chief mechanic, the term salvage had a whole new meaning. The transport was flight worthy, but, there was a whole bunch of 'bubble gum fixin' '.

"Think you can handle it, recruit?" The Chief eyed the young woman and rubbed his chin with a bear paw of a hand.

Danira gave a sharp, confident nod at the burly man. "Aye, Chief!"

"Uh huh. Well, no sleeping. I catch ya doin' it and it's a short trip out the airlock. Got it? Oh, and ya don't have to come to me for every little thing. The ship ain't gonna wait if somethin' breaks."

Danira watched the Chief disappear around one of the huge engines barking at another junior mechanic. It was hard to say whether it was all show, but, she sure as hell wasn't going to get on his bad side if possible.

--------------

"Dani?" he called out over the groaning of whirling parts responsible for keeping them moving to their destination, "Dani, ya back 'ere, Love? I need t'borrow a few tools if ya don't mind."

Dan had been up to her elbows in re-greasing some turbine parts when she caught Rian calling her name over the noise. Her coveralls were already dirty just after two shifts. She grabbed a rag, though there wasn't one that was actually clean, and wiped off her hands. But, she'd forgotten the little smudges on her nose and cheek. "Over here, Rian! Wait there, I'll come to you!"

The area was like a maze which she was still trying to remember. She'd be here most of the trip, but, Rian was probably like a lost mouse in a maze. She moved out of the nook and made her way to him before he really got lost, fixing her pony-tail on the way. Not giving a thought as to why.

Rian Sullivan
Member Avatar

"Over here, Rian! Wait there, I'll come to you!" he could barely make out her voice through the high pitched whine of the rudimentary catalyzer.

"Aye!" he called, standing near the hatch, sea green eyes glancing over the inner workings until he saw Dani working her way over to him. He looked down to her and seemed dressed to match in his own sort of way. "I think I may have a solution for the disposal, but I need some tools." he spoke loudly, "I need t'borrow your slip joints. Mine seemed t'walk off." he tried to give his best cheesy smile as to smooth things over. "Oh! And I thought you'd like ta know - overheard the Major talking with the officers this evening in the commons. Seems we are few days ahead of schedule. I think I know who is largely responsible for that."
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Character Writing · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks