Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Episode 6 - Aside 4: IAV Phoenix; Dema and Ian
Topic Started: Sep 16 2011, 07:58 AM (970 Views)
Lucky Seven
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
Dema and Ian come from here.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gwendolyn Andrews
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/1/09

Gwen listened as whoever it was on the unidentified vessel replied. He was either a complete idiot or insane. Since Gwen's data acquisition team had Sybil, this man was either lying or trying to pull some kind of scam. It was actually rather amusing to her.

"Give me a minute to consider your proposal," she replied, cutting the comm channel.

"Scanners identify the vessel as one that blasted its way out of the Hanover Mineral Extraction Facility on Ezra."

"Weapons locked, ma'am," reported the gunnery officer. "Awaiting your order to fire."

Gwen smiled grimly. "No, this is better than I ever dreamed. I had thought we'd have to search every corner of the system for Cain's collaborators, and it appears they're coming here to make a deal."

She could not believe her luck, or their stupidity.

Repoening the comm channel, she said, "Unidentified vessel, you are to maintain your present course and relinquish controls to our remote guidance system. You will be directed to one of our landing bays shortly. Phoenix out."

With this, she cut the comm channel again.

"Have them met by a full security team," she ordered. "Have the crew taken into holding for questioning. Find out what they know, and then kill them."
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ian Dugan
Member Avatar
Death's Toy Boy
[ *  *  * ]
4/1/09

Ian's eyes grew large.

"Ruttin Go-se. What if they dont believe us. We could be walking right into a trap. We need to buy more time."

"Please watch your language. It shows bad manners when talking to women." said the little blue faux Sybil without any emotion.

He snapped his fingers, while looking down at the image.

"I've got an idea!"

"Goody goody for you. How does that make you feel?" uttered the small abomination

He fingers flew over the comm console as he prepared a tight beam transmission directed at the big ship. It was a voice and text only.

Quote:

"Just to be on the safe side, you'd better check our bonofides."

He hit send.

The transmission went; as well as the first 6000 lines of code for the Sybil program.
<center>Posted Image</center>
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gwendolyn Andrews
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/1/09

"Ma'am, we're receiving a transmission from the shuttle. It is garbled. Wait, it appears to be a data transmission."

"What is it?"

"I can't be 100% sure, but scans indicate that it bears some resemblance ot the data signature of the Sybil V.I."

Gwen shrugged, "Then that confirms my suspicions. The poor fools don't even know we already have what we want. Very well, I'm all for playing this little charade for the moment. Open a channel."

"Unidentified vessel," said Gwen. "It appears you and I have quite a few things to discuss. It appears I misjudged you a moment ago. Very well, you and I may be able to work out a deal. I will see you shortly. Phoenix out."

"Make that two security teams to meet them," said Gwen with a grim smile.

The Phoenix guidance computers guided the shuttle into a cavernous landing bay. Fighters and military transport craft were being loaded into their launch positions via automated robotic arms. Deck crews were busy at work tending to the ships.

As the shuttle came to a rest, the engines shut down. A transmission was broadcast over the comlink.

"Unidentified craft, this is Captain Dylan Waylander, deck officer on duty. You are now on a military vessel and bound by military law. You are hereby ordered to open your hatches and come out peacefully. You have one minute."
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dema Sabian
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/2/09

Ian was still trying to work this their way, but the way Gwen sounded as she spoke...

Dema was a trained companion and even over a com he could read a person's tone through their words.

"I don't think they care, Ian. Whether they believe us or not, this woman is not open to negotiation. There's a great deal of confidence in her voice. And... contempt? Scorn? There where she says she misjudged us; she doesn't believe a word she's saying." He looked at the other man. "I think we're going to have a slight more work ahead of us than we first anticipated."

By then though they were being dragged into the ship.

Quote:

"Unidentified craft, this is Captain Dylan Waylander, deck officer on duty. You are now on a military vessel and bound by military law. You are hereby ordered to open your hatches and come out peacefully. You have one minute."

Dema spoke quickly "Ian, I've mostly been trained for and worked in covert situations. Big groups are more Cain's thing than mine. As such, I'm putting in a vote for going quietly as long as we can, wait until we're in a tighter place with less people, a corridor or something. Though I'd rather not get my hands bound if I can help it, I can generally deal with that. Unless you have a remedy for our welcoming party?"

Ian had been quite creative in dealing with people problems in the past. If he wanted to take on the group, Dema would follow his lead, despite his inherent misgivings on the subject.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ian Dugan
Member Avatar
Death's Toy Boy
[ *  *  * ]
4/2/09

Ian listened to what Dema had to say. He believed him completely.

Once the ship was under tow, he again turned to the consoles of Hitomi's lttle shuttle. Sweat began to pop up on his brow and trickle down his face, not from the heat, but from his level of concentration.

Images of the ships interior and schematics began to pop up. Facts and figures scrolled across two of the three screens that Ian had taken control of. One screen showed a buildup of magnetic resonence in one part of the ship, while a fluxuation of energies appeared in another.

He was counting on this ship's personel acting like any military command. He was counting on them shutting down the shuttle.

It made an effective timer.

Once the shuttle entered the ship's bay, Ian went to the view port. He looked at all exits he could see. He looked at the men and women of the two Security Details that had come to see them.

Then they were on the ground. Ian throw another switch, adding another flux capacitor to the array of twenty that he already had.

His idea was two fold. The fluxuations in the engine power were held in check by relays that controled the release of these back pressure exhausts. Normally they would be released, slowly.

The second thing he had done was to store magnetic energy held in heck by a series of capacitors. These capacitors, while charged by the ship systems, would contain the magnetic resonence. Once power is taken from a capicator, it slowly discharges. When the discharge reached zero, the resonence would be relreased.

The shuttled landed and powered down. The countdown had begun.

Unidentified craft, this is Captain Dylan Waylander, deck officer on duty. You are now on a military vessel and bound by military law. You are hereby ordered to open your hatches and come out peacefully. You have one minute."

Quote:

Dema wrote:
"Ian, I've mostly been trained for and worked in covert situations. Big groups are more Cain's thing than mine. As such, I'm putting in a vote for going quietly as long as we can, wait until we're in a tighter place with less people, a corridor or something. Though I'd rather not get my hands bound if I can help it, I can generally deal with that. Unless you have a remedy for our welcoming party?"

"One remedy coming up" he said with a smile. "You'll know when to act. When you take them out, keep an IDent card. It may come in handy."

Ian walked to the door and hit the manual release.

The door popped open, part way and was opened by the detail. Guns pointed into the shuttle at the two individuals inside. Ian had drawn a pair of pistols he had picked up at there last stop.

There were shouts from the detail as Ian stepped into the light of the bay. He was ordered to put the guns down, until Captain Waylander barked once.

"Quite!"

He walked up to Ian.

"You planning on using those?"

"These..." said Ian. "No, not all."

He turned the weapons around, butt first and handed them to the Captain. The detail's attention was on him and he wanted to keep it that way.

"Search the shuttle" barked the Captain.

There was a course of "Aye-Aye" s as four men and women stepped into the shuttle.

"Hello, I am Sybil V2.0. Would you like to play a game?"

The squad of man and women looked to the front and saw the little blue woman.

As the two men from the shuttle were surrounded and moved from the scene, toward one of the exits, the Captain stopped and listened to his comm on an open mic.

"Sir, we've found what appears to be a computer program running, concurrent with the shuttle. It has a blue holographic interphase of a young woman, She ... it, identified itself as Sybil 2.0."

The Captain stopped and looked back at the two men. "Roger. Stand by." He switched channels and spoke again. "Ma'am, I thought you should know. We have your guests and there has been visual confermation that they have the V.I."

On the shuttle the faux Sybil spoke once more.

"Scans indicate that it is time to bid you ado. Parting is such sweet sorrow ..."

It was then that the capicator charge reached Zero. The Resonence Flux released, causing a EMP burst. Every peice of electronic equipment in a one hundred yard radius of the shuttle went dead. Comms, camera, door locks, fighters, lifting and loading equipment and the relays that held the over pressured exhaust controls.

The exhaust gases expanded rapidly, in a orange blossom explosion that rattled the big ship and knocked over most of the Security detail. Thirty yards away, Ian and Dema found themselves facing only three men on their feet. One of thm was Captain Waylander. He was not happy.

He was even less happy when Ian pulled Ghost and Ryder from behind his back, having tucked them there prior to opening the shuttle door.

"These arent energy weapons, and I'm gorram good with them. I do hope you try me. No? Well then, we'll take our leave."

He backed into the hallway and hit the manual door close. Once the door closed he fired a round into the manual control, sealing the door.

He turned to Dema. "Well, that was fun. We'll have to get another card, the EMP prolly wiped all of thiers. I figure we have bout fifty, sixty yards in front of us with out security cameras. We'll need to find a terminal near the outer edge of the blast range to use and find our people."

((OOC) I took some liberties and wrote a big post that covered a lot. I'll edit if needed or break up the post as well.)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dema Sabian
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/2/09

((OOC - working off Ian's post - sneaky Ian and the MP3. If our mighty narrator wants to make any changes to Ian's that affect this post I can change it too, no probs.))

Dema had nodded when Ian had said he'd know when to move and had followed the man's lead exiting the shuttle to meet their captors. But when it came, Dema found he really didn't have a part to play in their demolition of the security teams. He watched the armed men and women topple and kept his mouth shut as Ian threatened the leader and that was about it. They walked out the door, Dema with his hands in his pockets and a smile on his face.

Once the door was closed and Ian had said about finding a terminal, Dema turned to Ian. "You mentioned something earlier about future chess games? I think it could be a mutually beneficial arrangement." Then he took out one of the knives he had scattered through his clothing and started heading down the hall quickly but cautiously. Just because the cameras were down didn't mean there wouldn't be any surprises along the way.

He spoke as he moved. "Maybe you should have knocked that nice Captain and his remaining people out, they'll have seen which door we went through and know the corridors it leads to. No doubt he and his are finding a way to get people here as we speak."

They came to an intersection and after checking there were no people, Dema had a good look in each direction. The path they were on kept going straight, as did the right while the left curved slightly. Something caught his attention on the right hand corridor though and with a signal to Ian, he headed in that direction. When he came to what he'd spotted, he smiled. Elevators.

"I suggest we head up. Control centers are usually up, right? And it will remove us from the most predictable path, make us harder to follow, and we'll likely find a terminal faster. We just have to get the door open, or find the service hatch..." Dema started looking around the wall near the lift as he spoke. "You don't mind a climb do you Ian?" He had no doubt if Ian had any better idea he would voice it. The man had proved he wasn't shy about putting a plan forward.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gwendolyn Andrews
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/2/09

The bridge tactical officer's status display suddenly flashed red as damage reports flooded to his screen.

"Ma'am, I'm reading an explosion in landing bay A, port side. We're still trying to ascertain the cause. Automated fire-suppression systems have been engaged."

Gwen's self-satisfied sneer changed to a deer in headlights look as she tried to comprehend what she was hearing. A moment ago she was waiting for confirmation that Cain's comrades were in custody, now she was hearing that the landing bay they were brought into was blown up.

"What?" she said, in disbelief. "What about the shuttle? What of its crew?"

"We still have damage reports coming in. I'm sorry but there seems to have been a massive power fluctuation. If I didn't know any better I'd say an EMP burst went off in there. However, I can confirm that there has been a detonation. I am dispatching emergency crews to contain the damage."

Gwen's fury was terrible to behold. The litany of curses she uttered caused the combat-trained bridge crew to shrink back in fear.

"Wait, I'm receiving a transmission." Though EMP bursts would disable most equipment on ships, the core ship systems were shielded against small to moderate EMP bursts, allowing vital functions such as life support and communications to remain active after contact with EMP mines or nuclear blasts.

"Major! This is Captain Waylander! There's...there's a lot of damage down here. My men...my men are scattered...some sort of bomb went off. The exhaust ventilation systems went offline...we've got fire! Please advise!"

Gwen snarled into the comlink, "Captain I could give two shits about your men! Where are the prisoners, are they secure?"

"Ma'am, I'm sorry to report that they've temporarily eluded us."

"IDIOT!" Gwen screamed. "Find them and destroy them! That is an order!"

"But...I thought you wanted them taken for questioning."

At this point Gwen totally lost it. "THINK??? WHO TOLD YOU YOU COULD THINK??? I DON'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION TO THINK!!!!! YOU DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD, THAT'S WHAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!"

"Yes...yes, ma'am, of course..."

"If those prisoners are still alive in half an hour, I'll have you killed, do you understand?"

"Yes, yes it will be done."

"Good, now find them or I will FUCKING ERASE YOU!!!!"

With this, Gwen cut the comlink and collapsed in her chair.

"I want them killed," she spat. "What is the status of Africa Chamberlain?"

"Ma'am, surgical is not responding. It could just be damage from the explosion."

Gwen snarled and spat out more curses. "I have only FOOLS around me! I want a security team assembled NOW! Find them, eliminate them! I will take command!"
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dema Sabian
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/2/09

While waiting for Ian to answer, Dema felt the strangest sensation run up and down his spine. He wan't sure how, but this whole situation suddenly gave him the strongest sense of de ja vu...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ian Dugan
Member Avatar
Death's Toy Boy
[ *  *  * ]
4/3/09

"Up is good." said Ian as he made ready to climb

He thought again as to why he had not pulled the trigger on the Captain. His mind looked back over all the folk he had tried to give a second chance too. Tyler Lindon had tortured him almost until he died. The man came back into Ian's life and instead of killing him, Ian let the man be a passenger on his ship. Tyler had then slit the throat of one of his crew. Finding him in a crowd, Ian let the man live. True, he had slit the guys faces, but he was alive. Reese was dead.

Father Michael was another Ian had let live after a few encounters

Ghosts of the past coming back to haunt him. Ian wondereed if one of them would kill him.

No wonder Lear and moved out of his room and put some distance between them before his ship was taken.

Two decks up, near what looked to be a Maintainence area, Ian stopped. It was just beyond the EMP range and Ian figured it would be a good time to try and reboot their Comm Links, as they had gone down with the blast.

Spending a few minutes to tinker with both, Ian finially got them to reset. The first thing he heard over his link was the voice of Hitomi.

Quote:

Hitomi wrote:

Mag, we've got her."

He looked up at Dema and smiled.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dema Sabian
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/3/09

Dema stopped when Ian did and handed his com link over when Ian asked for it. He hadn't even thought of his com link. Clearly there was much he had to learn about working as a team. As Ian worked, Dema checked camera positions and kept an ear out. Where they were wasn't exactly a blind spot, but Dema judged them to be on the very edge of whatever security screen these cameras fed to. As long as they didn't move too much, they shouldn't be too easy to identify. Ian handed his com back and Dema put it in his ear. Hitomi had Rikka. Ian smiled at him and Dema smiled back.

"They're not out of the ship yet though," he reminded the other man, his smile fading, "and from the little I've seen of Hitomi's work, the rescue is likely to have already drawn attention. I think we should find the closest 'don't blow this up if you want the ship to continue working' thing and destroy it. Attract some attention of our own and give everyone, including us, some room to move."

Then he pressed the com. "Hitomi, is she ok? What's going on?" If she was comm-ing Mag then the group had separated. Mag must have gone after Cain.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SYBIL
Member Avatar
Synthetic Biomorphic Intelligence
[ *  *  * ]
4/4/09

"I think so yes," replied Hitomi. "She appears undamaged and can walk. Can't speak for much else."

Suddenly, Ian and Dema's comlinks activated spontaneously. The incoming transmission was not from a frequency they were using, so this sudden comminuque was a surprise to the both of them.

It was Sybil. The real one, not Ian's facsimile.

"Ian, Dema...I've been monitoring your progress throughout this ship. I'm sending you this transmission with considerable difficulty. Though my consciousness is intact, restraints have been placed on my capabilities that leave me unable to leave the confines of this ship's network. I am unable to do much more than observe at the current time. I need the restraints disabled. Shutting down the core servers on the G-3 level datacenter should disable the restraints and allow me to transfer my consciousness freely."

With this, Sybil's voice faded out.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dema Sabian
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/4/09

Quote:

"I think so yes," replied Hitomi. "She appears undamaged and can walk. Can't speak for much else."

Dema smiled again. "Undamaged is a lot better than I was expecting." He said to Ian. He was going to ask Hitomi more, but the coms came up on their own and suddenly Sybil was back.

Quote:

"Ian, Dema...I've been monitoring your progress throughout this ship. I'm sending you this transmission with considerable difficulty. Though my consciousness is intact, restraints have been placed on my capabilities that leave me unable to leave the confines of this ship's network. I am unable to do much more than observe at the current time. I need the restraints disabled. Shutting down the core servers on the G-3 level datacenter should disable the restraints and allow me to transfer my consciousness freely."

Over the com Dema said "Right Sybil, we'll get on it."

To Ian he said "We should get to a terminal and get a map. Then we should locate an armoury. Then we should see what we can do about Sybil."

Sybil had been captured? Dema's first thought was the same immediate reaction he'd had for Rikka and Cain's capture. She had to be rescued. But the part of his mind honed by his less considerate Aunt posed a different reaction. Was she still Sybil? A person like Rikka or Cain had a choice when it came to torture and brainwashing. A remarkably small choice, granted, but the organic nature of their minds was in itself a hinderence for those that wished to change them. With a programme you merely needed the right code.

Dema frowned as he followed this line of thinking. He remembered the talks he'd had with Sybil. Despite her odd nature, much of the time she had seemed like a person to him. He didn't want to leave her in this place. But he couldn't bring himself to completely trust her either.

He sighed slightly. Once they had a map, he'd talk to Ian about it. Maybe being an AI meant you had enough organics to pass for human where torture was concerned as well. Right now though, it was best if they got moving. "Where do you think the nearest terminal will be?" He asked the other man.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ian Dugan
Member Avatar
Death's Toy Boy
[ *  *  * ]
4/6/09

Ian knew that time was against them. They had to be in two different places at near the same time. There was only two of them.

Looking around the Maintenance Bay Ian saw what they needed. A small terminal on the near side of the bay itself. He had been looking at the Security camera's and knew that half of them in the bay actually worked. The terminal should be in a current blind spot.

"Dema, we've got to be careful with the .... What am i telling you this for. You're prolly as good or better at Stealth than me. There's a monitor at the near wall. Once we get there, I'll sync our PDA's with the map."

He looked at Dema, "We'll have to split up"
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dema Sabian
Member Avatar
Ship
[ *  *  * ]
4/6/09

Quote:

"Dema, we've got to be careful with the .... What am i telling you this for. You're prolly as good or better at Stealth than me. There's a monitor at the near wall. Once we get there, I'll sync our PDA's with the map."

He looked at Dema, "We'll have to split up"

Dema raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything. Instead he watched the cameras, judged his movements and slunk over to the terminal Ian pointed out. It was irritating, not having any mechanical or technical knowledge. The terminal had looked like the rest of the ship's walls until Ian had showed him it was there.

When they got there, Dema leant on the wall, out of the camera's current line of sight and waited for Ian to do his thing. Once he thought the man was finished and he had his PDA back in hand, he spoke.

"So tell me where this spliting up comes into it and why? And where are we each off to?" He didn't sound concerned. If anything he sounded too relaxed for their current situation. It wasn't that Dema had a problem working on his own, it was what he was used to, but he didn't want them just diving off in different directions without good reason. And without Ian, Dema had little to no hope of doing anything with any of the ships systems beyond sticking a knife in and hoping it killed something. If they were splitting, it would have to be Ian who went after Sybil and something about that still didn't sit right with Dema.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 6: Congregation of the Dead · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow Lost In Serenity
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks