Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode 1 - Aside 4: Trail
Topic Started: Sep 25 2012, 08:40 AM (13,774 Views)
Nancy Nox
Member Avatar

3/21/09

The Shuttle, docked with Nancy Nox
Mary, Alexandra, Marshall Memphis, and Bartolomeo stirred in various states of gathering their senses.

Denns seemed to be the only one in the rear of the shuttle that was fully aware. Majordomo had finished shuttting down and securing the smaller ship. He turned and rose from his chair getting a look at the rest of those on board. "Jesus. Let's get them to the infirmary Victor. If you'd help the doctor..." Majordomo offered a hand to Alexandra, she waived him off and departed the shuttle. He spoke to Mary, "Can you walk Mary?" Memphis obviously was still out.

From the Jungle
Jessik and Steve led them from the rear of the Harvester across the field and into Nancy Nox. They waited until everyone was aboard.

Pepper, Roland and Clare entered.

Janet and Melody were the last on. Janet shut up the ship, "I'm taking us up, gather everyone in the galley Melody, we need to decide who's gonna do that trackin' on the ground."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pepper Anderson
Member Avatar

3/22/09

And they were back on the ship. Pepper went to the Galley to wait as instructed and hoped they weren't going to have another long discussion. The trail was there, they had an idea what they were dealing with...It should just be one group saying 'we did this' other group saying 'Clare ripped chunks out of that' and then it should be off to where the creepy things live. They might even be able to save some of the people if they were fast enough.

One thing Pepper was worried about, something they might need to discuss, was how they were really going to fight together. When Clare had been struggling before, Pepper had realised she'd had no real way to help the Vampire. Granted Clare hadn't needed help, but that was with one enemy. What about when they were facing ten? or 50? Their fighting styles were not what could be called compatible. Then there was Melody with the sword, Janet with the guns... Pepper's Sensei had taught her that to defeat a large force you either needed a larger force or a small force working in concert and at the moment, they definitely weren't in sync.
Posted Image

Roland de Bordeaux
Member Avatar

3/22/09

Roland sat brooding in the galley where he'd helped himself to a bottle of red wine that he appeared to be making a dent in. Drinking directly from the bottle, he smoked a steady succession of cigarettes. His hair, which had earlier been tied into a tight ponytail cascaded around his shoulders.

"I really wish there was something witty to say that would sufficiently convey what we experienced today in an amusing, but subtly self-depricating manner but it's just not coming to me," he said as he cast Pepper as sideward glance.

"Your friend will survive, I think. By the way, you can call me Roland. Long story, not a name I particularly like but its mine all the same. Its stuck with me a long, long time."

"My I offer you some wine, Pepper?"
Posted Image

Pepper Anderson
Member Avatar

3/23/09

"Sure. If you've got a bottle over there you've not slobbered all over, Roland." She grinned and winked at him then went foraging for a glass. She wasn't the classiest chick in the 'verse but she wasn't up to drinking from the bottle just yet.

"S'alright Roland, I know all about having a name you don't want. Pepper wasn't exactly my first choice but it's leagues ahead of my given name so..." she shrugged. "And yeah, I'm sure they'll all be fine. Someone said earlier that the Marshall lady had medical help on standby and I have a feeling most of us here have been out of it at one time or another. It'll be interesting to hear them tell what happened to them though." She'd only glimpsed people moving past the doorway, but she had managed to see Mary was well out of it. Pepper wasn't being laid back about it out of not caring or anything. It was just that in her opinion unless anyone was screaming it was likely to all work out fine. She'd grown up in care and then trained at a high level in her martial art. People being knocked out was almost normal.

It made her go back to what she'd been thinking of before though. "I've been thinking about how we all fight and fit in together and I've realised I don't know what you do? I mean Melody's got the big ass blade, Janet blows up anything that moves, Clare digs in with teeth claws and whatever else..." Pepper made a face and shuddered, though she was again smiling at the end of it. "What's your preference?" Then she wondered if she should be talking about this. She didn't know if this man was officially crew or if he knew what Clare was, or if she was allowed to say. He just felt like crew after being out there with them. And it wasn't like she'd been on the boat long herself. It was all more confusion than she really wanted right now.
Posted Image

Roland de Bordeaux
Member Avatar

3/24/09

"Forgive me," he replied with a shrug. "I fear I normally don't drink in the company of others very much. I appear quite a Philistine to you I suppose." He got up from his seat and went to the wine rack. Picking out a pair of crystal glasses nearby, he picked out a bottle of merlot and popped the cork.

"This ship is very interesting. I thought this particular vintage stopped being made before the great exodus. It wouldn't be the only odd thing about this ship. I can't pinpoint it, unless you count the being attack by large furry wolf-men part. If I didn't know any better I'd say I was an extra in a B-Cortex feature."

He handed Pepper a glass and pulled her a seat.

"There, crystal and wine and brooding black. I think when I am reborn again I will be crow and my mournful cry will be 'caw, caw'!"

Quote:

"What's your preference?"

"My preference? I'd hardly consider myself a permanent fixture on this ship. I came here seeking phantoms, nothing more. My preference appears to be wine, at the moment. As far as what I do...I've done a lot of things, let's put it that way. Currently, I'm a problem-solver for clients who wish to remain discreet. My skills with a blade are not without merit, though they serve my own purposes and not your captain's quite yet."
Posted Image

Pepper Anderson
Member Avatar

3/24/09

"Ha, hardly my captain." Pepper hadn't quite gotten the crow reference, but any man that held a seat out for her was allowed to have a few oddities and still be thought of as ok.

"I'm here for answers. Apparently to get them I have to be a good little girl. Fight the bad things, twelve times I think it was? And I might just get what I want. Note the 'might'." Pepper sighed and took a mouthful of wine. It was nice. Not that she knew much about wine. Touring she usual drank what the boys drank and that was the heavy stuff. At home she trained and that involved a distinct lack of alcohol of any kind.

She looked again at the man across from her. He spoke so casually about death and rebirth. It was such a strange concept to her. Well the basic idea, she got, even agreed with on some levels, but rebirth where you actually remembered everything? She wasn't going to judge if it was possible if she could help it, despite some sceptisism, what with all the other strange things going on. Instead she wondered about the logistics of it. Having a terrible memory herself, the thought of having to keep track of several lifetimes didn't sound like a fun prospect to Pepper. The things you'd do, see... Pepper shifted slightly in her seat. Maybe...

Taking another mouthful of wine and trying to sound casual she asked, "Don't suppose you've ever heard of or come across a ship called 'Resurrection'? The 'Fu Hao'? In all your many, non-crow lives." Perhaps she could shortcut the '12 labours' bit here and now.
Posted Image

Nancy Nox
Member Avatar

3/24/09

Nancy Nox powered up, the noise and vibration were minimal.
That they had moved vertical and were now hovering was only noticable by the lack of foilage in the overhead window of the galley.

Bartolomeo, Mary, and Memphis are in the Infirmary.
Dr. Bartolomeo is on his feet and tending to the Marshal.

Alexandra has gone to her quarters.

The Galley
Jessik Domo, Steve the Guide and Majordomo entered, Majordomo spoke. "Bartolomeo and Janet will be along shorty. Alexandra is not feeling well."
He looked around.

"I believe we'll need to act quickly. We've used the Marshal's comm to contact the Alliance for some medical aid here. It would seem best to be on our way before they arrive?" Majordomo looked around to get confirmation or contradiction.

Clare Susan

3/24/09

Clare was at the shuttle bay doors when the shuttle docked, ready to assist with moving people to the Infirmary, if required. She was most concerned about Barto, of course. Barto was always uppermost in her thoughts, even when the Vampire was trying to gain ascendancy. It was the thoughts of him that kept Clare in control, prevented her from slipping back into the state in which the scientist had discovered her. Having determined that he was okay and having stolen a kiss from her lover she left the Infirmary and headed for the galley.

Arriving at the galley Clare was less than impressed, both at the drinking and the smoking. She contemplated confiscating both the wine and the cigarettes, including the one being smoked but decided she couldn't be bothered with the confrontation that it entailed and instead lurked just outside the door, putting off the moment when she had to endure the disgustingly foul atmosphere of cigarette smoke overlaid with wine and body odour. There were times when hypersensitivity to smells was a serious pain in the pigu, not to mention the nostrils.

Quote:

"I believe we'll need to act quickly. We've used the Marshal's comm to contact the Alliance for some medical aid here. It would seem best to be on our way before they arrive?"

"I agree. No point getting tied up unnecessarily with officialdom." Clare had been all to happy to toe the line before the incident that had shattered her world. Now she wanted nothing to do with bureaucracy.

Roland de Bordeaux
Member Avatar

3/25/09

Quote:

"Don't suppose you've ever heard of or come across a ship called 'Resurrection'? The 'Fu Hao'? In all your many, non-crow lives."

"Hmmmm, I don't recall those names no. Mayhap one of the crows has, but somehow I think not. The answers you seek will sadly not come from me this day."

"Wine," he said, pouring another glass, "can come aplenty from me, however. It tends to be much more reliable than people, I'd wager. So, what are you doing on this ship if not playing the part of a traveling troubadour?"

"I'm sorry, your keen interest in my supposed non-existent musical abilities earlier led me to believe that you were a musician yourself, amateur, professional or semi-whatever what it were."

Roland gave Clare a glare than told her to keep her distance from him if she wished to remain in possession of all her appendages. Despite her pretensions, Roland recognized her for the snob she was and gave her as much respect. A few severed fingers and she'd likely think twice about her churlish glances. He hoped it would not come to that, however.
Posted Image

Pepper Anderson
Member Avatar

3/25/09

Quote:

"Hmmmm, I don't recall those names no. Mayhap one of the crows has, but somehow I think not. The answers you seek will sadly not come from me this day."

"Damn, there goes my easy ticket out of here..."

Quote:

"Wine," he said, pouring another glass, "can come aplenty from me, however. It tends to be much more reliable than people, I'd wager. So, what are you doing on this ship if not playing the part of a traveling troubadour?"

Pepper pushed her now empty glass over for a refil. Once she had it back, she smirked. "Troubadour. I love the way you speak."

Quote:

"I'm sorry, your keen interest in my supposed non-existent musical abilities earlier led me to believe that you were a musician yourself, amateur, professional or semi-whatever what it were."

"Professional." Pepper raised her glass in a mock toast. "I have a band, a coupl'a holodisks and I normally tour. This going awol to try and find an apparently non-existent ship is giving my manager kittens I can tell you." She noticed he was looking over her shoulder and turned a little to see Clare glaring at them with her nose in the air. For a moment, Pepper almost straightened. Being raised in care you got used to reacting instantly to glares like that. Then she remembered she was an adult, Clare was not her mum and Janet had said she was a 'hell cat' - or something as good sounding. Instead of straightening, she slouched further and plopped her boots onto the table as she turned away from Clare. Pepper winked at Roland before taking another long swollow of wine. "I haven't forgotten about you teaching me that song either. Should go a long way to calming my manger's palpatations if I can send that in to him to re-work for release."

She didn't make a suggestion as to the stay or go in terms of the Alliance. She had no love of them, but no problem with them either. The others could work that out. After the little toussle in the jungle Pepper wanted to sit for a little, drink wine and wind down. Then if they were going on the hunt she'd do that. If they weren't going right away she decided she'd go down to the cargo bay and do some centering kata.
Posted Image

Clare Susan

3/25/09

Clare was not intimidated even slightly by Roland's glare. She didn't know what he was thinking and really didn't care but she would have been amused at his assessment that she was a snob. Distant and disconnected, she could agree with, perhaps intellectually a snob, being fiercely intelligent but three children had ensured that she wasn't a snob in a social sense.

What she really objected to were people who thought it was acceptable to smoke in a facility that had to be shared with everyone without even asking the others who had to share it whether they objected. It spoke of a self centred arrogance that no number of labours could ever hope to redeem.

And she really couldn't be bothered with petty chitchat. It wasn't a new thing. Even as a mother and suburban housewife she had never really joined in with the gossip, more interested in thinking about her children or about the part time research project she was undertaking. Clare had enjoyed the domestic side of her life but she had never felt the need to chat about it. She hadn't treated her children as vehicles of her own ambitions as so many of the other parents had. They would develop their own dreams and ambitions. Her role was to ensure that they had the environment in which they could do so and that they would be emotionally and intellectually equipped to achieve what they wanted in life, whatever that might have been. Perhaps Mary had done some temporary good; usually such thoughts ended in distraught tears but although tears came to her eyes at the thought of what might have been Clare was able to retain control.

Clare idly thought about moving quickly, as only a vampire could, snatching his cigarette, dropping it in the wine bottle and then upending the bottle in his lap before returning to her current position. She knew she could do so in a couple of blinks of an eye and unless he had supernatural speed rivalling her own she knew there would be nothing he could do about it.

But Clare refrained, "He really isn't worth it." She thought and resolved not to waste any more time or energy on him. Instead she returned her attention to Majordomo and started thinking about what they needed to do about the creatures.

Nancy Nox
Member Avatar

3/25/09

Galley
Jessik Domo recounted the account of his group, adding the creature encountered "... was some sort of animal man? Not no wolf kinda thing if that's what you were thinking."

Steve piped in, "yeah, viscious they looked looked like, but fuck," He looked at Pepper and Clare, "You people got your thing right? You're gonna take care of this, because this is way over my head." Steve turned to Domo, "You said the trail was big and can't miss right, so you don't need me. I'm off the hook right?" Steve gulped down a big swig of whatever had been left close by.

"Right." Answered Majordomo, he'd shown very little emotion until Pepper put her feet on the table, he turned away with a very slight grimace.
He seemed a bit embaressed that his reply sounded a bit mocking of Steve, he looked at the guide, "Of course sir, this is something that you are called to, or should avoid entirely.""There seemed to be some of these creatures still on the Harvester. Rear guard or left behind?" Majordomo was fishing, he poured a glass of wine for himself. "anyone else?" It wasn't clear if he meant wine or information.

A voice piped in on the comm, "PEPPER!" There was a squeal and a squelch. It was Janet, listening in, "Skroggin' mother... Pepper; how well can you control the heat? Direction? What if we were close by? Cause it could be... " Janet was in the doorway of the Galley then, the speaker clicked off and she spoke directly, "we could be havin' a lot more a these beastbuddies than onesy-twosie. Savvy yeah?" She looked at Jessik, but for no apparent reason. Jessik Domo shrugged to clearly indicate he had no clue.

Her look at everyone in the room seemed condescending; her eyes searched and challenged everyone of the newcomers; looking for weakness. Steve looked down. "Alexandra is out. Something got in her head."

As Janet pulled down a large high energy drink and started chugging she pulled at her sweat soaked clothing.

Infirmary
Bartolomeo hadn't mentioned to Clare his encounter with Mary. Both Mary and Marshal Memphis were sitting up. The Doc was running samples in a pretty high tech machine, it whirled and twittered and lights flash to justify its huge expense.

Victor Denns
Member Avatar

3/26/09

Infirmary

After they had left the Harvester, Denns had assured Mary that Barto was not only alive, but would continue to be so for the immediate future. Her questions he had left unanswered, and for that he felt a bit guilty. Yet another thing that felt foreign. After they had returned to the Nancy Nox, he had spent some time in his bunk, gathering his thoughts. He knew what he should do, what he had to do, but the thought of it scared him more than facing the creatures he hunted. He had to place trust, and be trusted, two things which were as unnatural as breathing water. Finally, when he knew he could no longer put it off, he made his way down to the infirmary.

He was still in his leathers, now cleaned free of blood, and his helmet and gloves had been left in his room. I defended myself though. The only way I know how. I tried to calm him. I projected as much of the calm into him as I could, hoping that it would only take that to weaken it until you guys could help, but it wasn't enough. Her words still echoed in his head and he stared down at her, wondering if she knew who was standing there.

"Mary," he began, and then the smiling demon face from his vision swam up through his questions to grin into Denns's eyes. The eyes bled black and the skin stretched tight over the bones beneath like a cloth bag full of sharp strips of metal. Hands covered in ichor slammed upward onto the glass that separated him from this thing. Denns choked back words and gripped the rail of the bed she lay in. He closed his eyes against his own will and listened as the demon thing laughed in his head.

The demon and Denns had met each others gaze in the mirror. In his dream, the one sent by the angel as a final warning, he had screamed at the site of the thing. The demon had worn his face, but the eyes were white with black slits.

"Tell me what you saw from the thing," he managed to spit out from between clenched teeth.
Posted Image

Pepper Anderson
Member Avatar

3/26/09

Quote:

Jessik Domo recounted the account of his group, adding the creature encountered "... was some sort of animal man? Not no wolf kinda thing if that's what you were thinking."

I thought it looked a little like a baboon or ape type thing? And they were quiet and fast.

Pepper listened to Steve back out then noticed Majordomo's look at the placement of her feet. She sighed and put them back on the ground. She'd meant to annoy Clare not the boss. And it wasn't like she wouldn't wipe the table down later or anything. Then she jumped as her name was yelled over the coms.

Quote:

"PEPPER!" There was a squeal and a squelch. It was Janet, listening in, "Skroggin' mother... Pepper; how well can you control the heat? Direction? What if we were close by? Cause it could be... " Janet was in the doorway of the Galley then, the speaker clicked off and she spoke directly, "we could be havin' a lot more a these beastbuddies than onesy-twosie. Savvy yeah?" She looked at Jessik, but for no apparent reason. Jessik Domo shrugged to clearly indicate he had no clue.

Her look at everyone in the room seemed condescending; her eyes searched and challenged everyone of the newcomers; looking for weakness. Steve looked down. "Alexandra is out. Something got in her head."

"Yeah, I can direct it pretty well. As long as I don't do it too long or at too high a temp I can keep control and direct it. It still won't be a fine stream of flame if that's what you're after though. And I've never had to use it in a close combat situation. I'd still suggest you either move or duck if I have to aim for something near you. They seemed to like the trees though so I'm more than capable of clearing some space; cut down on their hiding places. But what do you mean about Alex? Those creatures didn't seem bright enough to have their own thoughts let alone affect someone else's. Will she be alright?" Pepper watched Janet drink then looked around the room.
Posted Image

Mary Galenus
Member Avatar

3/26/09

"Tell me what you saw from the thing."

"I saw flashes of what happened. The people they killed, how they ripped them limb from limb. The sound of flesh tearing and bones snapping. The screams…" Mary whispered as one hand floated up to her head, the heel of it pressing against her forehead. Mary reached down with the other hand and grabbed hold of Denns' forearm to steady herself, making completely sure that she didn't touch his skin. She didn't know what would happen and she couldn't risk it.

"I also felt intense rage. It really wanted to rip out my throat. That was it's goal…" her voice trailed off as her eyes got wide. She looked up at Denns. "I need to get up to the others. I need to tell them."

She started to sit up, but grimaced with pain as her arm wrapped around her middle. The broken ribs hurt.

"Please help me up. I need to get up to the galley," she almost grabbed Denns' hand to pull herself up, but she withdrew. "Could you help me get up there?

"And most of all, when I do get up there, don't let anyone touch me. I… I… don't know what would happen right now if they did."

She looked over at Bartolomeo. He seemed to be OK, although his movements were too fluid and too relaxed. They had been through a lot while they were in the Harvester and Bartolomeo seemed hardly phased by it at all. She knew that this behavior was due to what she had done to him and she had done plenty to him. She'd almost killed him.

"Are you sure he's OK?" she asked Denns again.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 1: The Nemian Lion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks