Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Episode 4: Quest for Freedom; All Aboard the Albright
Topic Started: Oct 9 2012, 10:27 AM (19,129 Views)
The Gypsy Traveler
Member Avatar

A new crew was forged and they each had their part to play:

Captain Reno Carson: role of sneaky sneak who's job it was to make sure information could be passed from one group to another, plus create any "diversions" as needed.
Sergei Romanov: Bodyguard extraordinaire, tasked with keeping the wide-eyed new "owner" of the Gypsy Traveler safe and in character.
Darren Roberts: New mechanic aboard the IAV Albright.
Skyelar Dorn: Owner of the Gypsy Traveler and well seasoned traveler (ahem... poor Skyelar...)
Thalia Bhandari: Barrister of record. Holding the girls without representation was just unconstitutional. That is, if they have a consitution still...
Maria Mendez: Temporary pilot of the Entertainer.
Brandon Hicks: In the wings, just in case they need him; their Plan B.
Amber Kynes and Ariel Duquesne: prisoners in waiting for their loyal crew.

The story opens with Darren Roberts arriving in uniform (good job Skyelar... It passed with flying colors!) aboard an Alliance Military Personnel Transport under the alias of "Derek Smith". All he knew was that he had to fit in right away and look the good "worker bee" part. He had studied the schematics of the massive ship and together with Reno, would plan out how to get the girls from point A to point B. Plus he needed to sneak aboard the GT and ascertain if there is any damage done and what kind of mechanism was in place to keep their beloved home grounded.

Reno is stowed away on the Entertainer, ready to exit and incorporate himself into the inner bowels of the ship.

Sergei, Skyelar, Maria and Thalia will be landing on the Albright shortly, bent on gathering up their ship and their crew as soon as possible.

Ari and Amber are still in the brig. Their bodies weakening by the torture, as well as a lack of sleep, food and water. Bodily weakness is setting in, but their constitution is strong. Some more than others.

Players... please title your posts with your location. It will help.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

On Board the Entertainer

As they approached the Albright, Reno looked over his new crew.

Maria had a scowl on her face. Reno was well aware that she SO did not want to be there. She only came along because they needed a pilot and didn't like the Alliance either. Most of all, she was coming along because Thalia was going. She wanted to keep an eye on things for her friend. For that reason only, she planned on not leaving the Entertainer. She was going to monitor things and be ready at a moment's notice if they needed to bug out.

Sergei was glowering in the corner. He looked like the intimidating hulk of a bodyguard. He hoped that the folks on the Albright did not take him into custody either. He was a rather difficult person to disguise. He would be recognized by anyone that had searched the ship on the way to Kerry as soon as he stepped foot on the cargo deck. If he was, then things would be getting a little more interesting than he wanted.

Skyelar seemed like he was terrified and ready to puke at any moment. He hoped that the young man would rise to the occasion. He didn't like putting Skyelar in this situation, but they needed to have someone that was not on the Gypsy when it was searched on the way to Kerry. He needed to have someone that was a "blank slate" to the crew. And with his new identity of Lars Trevelyan, he really was a blank slate His cover was that of a young, rich, sheltered over-protectively man who was making his own way into the world for the first time. That first foray included the new "Ownership" of the Gypsy.

Thalia seemed to already be "in character" as she was decked out in proper business attire. He was impressed by the way she seemed ready to go. If it wasn't for the fact that he knew better, he would stake his life on the fact that she was definitely an advocate and had been for years. He knew that Raphael had been the chameleon of disguise, but Thalia was proving to be a chameleon of jobs. He had a good vibe about her. He had watched her work the night before. She seemed very competent and dedicated to their cause. Or was it just the fact that she knew Ari? Either way, he was pretty certain she wouldn't sell him out.

Reno had maintained contact with Darren until he entered the military's "system." By now, he should be en route to the Albright and he should be getting ready for his part. Reno checked his chronometer and marked how long it was supposed to be before he was to meet Darren aboard the Gypsy Traveler. He hoped to God it would be easily feasible for both of them to access the ship and set forth the plan. A lot of what he needed was on that ship. If he had to fabricate any of his tools, then that would only delay the mission further and that was something Reno did NOT want to happen.

He looked over to where his hiding place was located. He was ready as well. His little compartment was stockpiled with weapons and whatever else he could think of. There was actually little room for him. He would be hard pressed to be comfortable while he was hidden away, but it would be better than whatever the girls had to be going through.

"Thalia?" he asked as he checked the "chatter" on the newsfeeds again, some public and some not so much. "I don't see anything about Darren being held up. His ID has tracked through the proper channels. Looks like he is going along just fine in the plan."

He looked up at her.

"Thank you," he said softly. He cleared his throat. "Are you ready for the next part? Think you can pull this off? I don't know how one would go about acting like an Advocate, but for some reason, I think you'll do just fine."

At that time, a chime rang out noting that they were within a couple thousand miles of the Albright. It wouldn't be long.

OOC: If I didn't assign you an alias and you would like to use one, please create it yourself and mention it in your first post.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ariel Duquesne
Member Avatar
Aerial Artist with 'tude
Detention Center

Ari laid there on the floor, sweat pouring off her. The metal floor kept cooler longer, but even now that was beginning to warm. She could feel the heated air burning her lungs. How much longer could they keep this up?

She looked up and saw Amber laid out similarly on the bunk above her. She took a labored breath and managed to speak albeit hoarsely. Not having any water for a while made her throat feel like it was literally dried up and cracking like desert earth.

"Amber?" she croaked. "Are you awake?"

Awake? How else could she not be? Neither one were getting very good sleep.

"You OK?" she asked again.

She took another labored breath and sat up, checking on her friend.

"Hey... At least we're still sweating. We'll be in trouble once we stop," she said acting all cheery.

Ari didn't do cheery. She didn't think she had a cheery bone in her body. Any cheery bones were broken the day her parents died.

"Crew will be here soon, I just know it," she reassured. She sure hoped she was right. They would never leave them like this. Not unless they were physically unable. Or dead... Ari shook that thought away. "So what do you want to talk about now?"
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Maria Mendez
Member Avatar

On Board the Entertainer

Everyone on the ship was pretty quiet during the ride towards the Albright. Now it was her turn in the plan. She switched on the comms.

"IAV Albright, this is the Entertainer. We are requesting permission to dock?"

She heard nothing for a moment.

"This is the IAV Albright. You do not have clearance to land. Please state your reason."

"We understand you have some prisoners and a ship that were taken from Kerry?" she said in the most official tone she could muster. "The ship's owner would like to retrieve his property."

There was a long pause before they answered.

"Transmit ship credentials and wait for instructions."

"Will do," Maria acknowledged before pushing the send button, transmitting what they needed. She sat back then and tried to relax. She liked the silence so far. Reno just grated on her nerves. But then again, the man liked to hear himself talk and that what he proceeded to do right then.

"Thalia?" "I don't see anything about Darren being held up. His ID has tracked through the proper channels. Looks like he is going along just fine in the plan."

Damn straight, Maria scoffed. My girl knows what she's doing.

"Are you ready for the next part? Think you can pull this off? I don't know how one would go about acting like an Advocate, but for some reason, I think you'll do just fine."

Double damn straight, Maria thought further. Thalia's the best.

And if Reno got her jammed up because of this hair brained scheme, then she was going to shoot him herself.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Commander Jonathan Murch
Member Avatar

The Bridge of the IAV Albright

"Commander? I have a privately owned ASREV class ship approaching. They are requesting landing instructions."

Commander Murch cocked his head.

"Privately owned? Are they armed?" he asked, but the communications officer indicated that they were not.

He told the officer to find out why and was told that a communication was coming. He strode over to the display screen and read the data that this ship - the Entertainer - had sent.

"Someone else owns that ship?" he said aloud in surprise. "Here I was looking forward to selling that piece of crap."

He was still hoping to. Maybe this "owner" was one of the folks his people was looking for? He would like to get his hands on the entire crew and suss out what exactly happened to his 3 fine soldiers. It seemed that the two women were going to need some more influencing if they were going to get down to the bottom of this.

"Have them land on the lower port side bay," he said with a thin smile. "Have a security detail in position. I'll meet them there. Let's see what shakes out with this little development, shall we?"

The officer nodded and sent the Entertainer the correct coordinates for the landing, before leaving to get ready for their arrival.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Skyelar
Member Avatar

Onboard the Entertainer.

Skyelar didn't just look like he was going to be sick. As the ship which would serve as his cover began to break atmo, at that moment were artificial gravity took over as the real thing lost it's hold, Skye lolled his head and, overcome by stress and motion sickness, had been violently ill. He was still cleaning it up when the radio com traffic with the Albright.

"We understand you have some prisoners and a ship that were taken from Kerry?" she said in the most official tone she could muster. "The ship's owner would like to retrieve his property."

Skye realized he was on. He sort of cocked his head like a man possessed as he dropped into character as Lars. "Damned right I want to retrieve my property, and whoever that is better have a damned good explanation for making off with it. I'd expect this of those gypsy grifters that sold it to me, but not the alliance." he shouted, making sure it carried "accidentally" over the radio, intending to be overheard.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sergei Romanov
Member Avatar

On Board the Entertainer

"Damned right I want to retrieve my property, and whoever that is better have a damned good explanation for making off with it. I'd expect this of those gypsy grifters that sold it to me, but not the alliance."

Sergei cringed at Skyelar's outburst. He got up and walked over to the man.

"Don't lay it on too thick!" he whispered into his ear. "Dial it back just a notch."

He smiled though.

"But I like your enthusiasm."

Sergei was nervous too, but tried not to think about it. It was going to take all he could not to jump off the Entertainer and go about finding Amber and Ari like a bull in a china shop.

But that wouldn't work and he knew it. They had to play their cards well. This just had to go well.

He found his thoughts drifting towards Amber. It had seemed like it had been years since he saw her.

They just had to get the girls out.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Gypsy Traveler
Member Avatar

OOC: I have noticed that some further clarification would be helpful, especially after some of the posts that have come up (good job!). I always like to see you all take charge!

The story is that Lars Trevelyan (aka Skyelar) bought the GT from a previous crew member. This was a couple of months ago. The crew now effectively leases the GT from Lars. Therefore anything on the ship could be contrived as his property.

You have to watch out... Can't have the Alliance decide to gut the place so they could sell personal belongings to pay for the court costs. :P

Like I said. Great jobs on the posts. I love them!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Amber Kynes
Member Avatar

Detention Center

Amber could feel herself growing steadily weaker... and she hated it. She wasn't used to feeling this way. She hadn't felt this weak and helpless since she was a child. The small almost unnoticeable sacrifices she had made with food and drink so Ari could have more were beginning to tell on her. Not visibly. Not yet. But she could feel it, or at least imagined she could. Her mind drifted almost constantly in a state between waking and sleeping, her body and mind too tired to wake fully and too uncomfortable (and stubborn) to go to sleep fully. Especially when it was at one extreme or another as far as the temperature went. The precious minutes of sleep she could snatch between freezing and roasting weren't enough to keep her going for much longer, but she made what use of them she could.

Distantly, she heard her name called. But it seemed a small eternity before she could make herself respond. It wasn't more than a few seconds, though. "Yeah, I'm awake. Don't know how okay I am, though, to be frank" she answered, hating the feebleness of her own voice. She managed to life her head and give Ari a faint smile, but wasn't quite sure how to respond to that. What she was thinking though was how would they know when they'd stopped sweating? They were both so drenched in sweat it was difficult if not impossible to tell. But no sense stating the obvious like that.

"I certainly hope so" she said. Thinking a minute, Amber wasn't sure what else they could really talk about anymore. It seemed almost every subject had been covered. "I... don't really know. Maybe how we're going to milk this for all it's worth and make the boys pamper us when they finally get off their pigus and get here?" Amber said, attempting to sound light hearted and worry free.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Advocate
Member Avatar

IAV Albright - Flight Deck D3 - Aside from the Entertainer

He was already waiting in the cargo bay of the IAV Albright for them to arrive. He adjusted his silk tie before smoothing down his 80 credit suit. It had been a while since he had anyone in a criminal trial. His last one being an old school chum's waste of a son, Kellen Kenrowe.

He was surprised by himself. He was actually pretty excited. He always did like the adrenaline of a spirited criminal trial, but let's face it, there were more important fish to fry.

So instead, he found himself more into Parliamentary Law. Carved out his niche and made some very high up and important friends.

Friends who would probably have a coronary if they knew he was there. Especially representing the likes of his clients. No one was going to let it out that The Advocate didn't pay his debts. That's why he was there. He owed Thalia Bhandari a favor. She called in her marker and that was it. He was on the first transport to the Albright.

After this, he would owe her nothing and that suited him. He didn't like owing anyone anything.

So from a safe distance, he watched as the Entertainer landed and Commander Murch and his cronies approached the ship.

"This should be fun," he said quietly.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sergei Romanov
Member Avatar

On Board the Entertainer

The ship landed smoothly and as soon as things were powered down, Sergei opened the door and stepped out. He was dressed in the finery of the suit that he had made and sauntered down the ramp with an attitude that exuded "I am a bodyguard and I will hurt you if needed." He turned his head and looked around, surveying the scene. Coming at them was the Commander of the Albright, a man he had the distinction of meeting when they were boarded on the way to Kerry. He wanted to touch his head in memory of the head wound he received during a brief interaction at that time, but he didn't. He looked to the side and saw another man waiting in the wings looking extremely dapper. He didn't fit in with this crowd. He was out of place.

He motioned to Skyelar to come out to meet their quickly approaching welcoming committee, but placed himself directly in line between the smooth looking guy and Skyelar. He was not going to let anything happen to another crew member.

"We will be needing to know who the gentleman over there is," Sergei told them with as menacing sounding tone that he could muster up.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Gypsy Traveler
Member Avatar

On Board the Entertainer

Right before Reno was about to get the panel closed up in his hiding place, Thalia slipped in. It was a tight fit, but what she had to say was important. She informed Reno that she would not be serving as Amber and Ari's advocate. She had called in a marker and someone else would be coming in her place. Someone with experience. Someone who was a remarkable barrister. Someone who has, to her knowledge, NEVER lost a case.

But someone that was quite a mystery. Even his name was a puzzle. He was just known to her as "The Advocate."

She insisted that it would be better and that this "Advocate" would stay true to getting Ari and Amber out. He was a shadow, but he took his debts seriously. He didn't like owing people and he made good on them without fault. She told him that the man would be obvious. He commanded respect.

She was sorry and she reminded Reno that he needed to alert Sergei somehow to the change. She would have told him on the way, but she knew he was a bit volatile when it came to the subject of the imprisoned women. The Advocate was supposed to introduce himself, but she couldn't chance him going off on the guy. Lastly, She informed Reno that she would stay on board with Maria, but utilizing the hiding spot as her station. You never knew when you might need an extra, unaccounted for team member.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ariel Duquesne
Member Avatar
Aerial Artist with 'tude
Detention Center

Ari was tired of laying down in her own pool of sweat. So she sat up. Plus there was the fact that it was taking Amber way too long to respond.

"Yeah, I'm awake. Don't know how okay I am, though, to be frank"

Ari was relieved that her cell mate spoke. She knew that if someone would begin to get sick, she probably couldn't do much. If someone had to fall, she hoped to God that it would be her. At least maybe they would let Amber go. After all, she was the one who confessed. She had already told those bastards that she was the one who killed those raping hundans.

"I certainly hope so" "I... don't really know. Maybe how we're going to milk this for all it's worth and make the boys pamper us when they finally get off their pigus and get here?"

Ari chuckled just a little bit before falling into a coughing bit. After a bit, she turned to Amber.

"We are SO gonna milk this out. They are going to be pampering us for weeks," she said with a smile. "Breakfast in bed... And not that protein crap. Real breakfast. Maybe some shore leave? I don't think I have gone for so long without rutting someone."

Her face fell a little. To tell the truth, she hadn't even thought about it since the Double Trouble. Getting up front and personal with a man made her sick to her stomach, but she wasn't going to let on. She was Ari Duquesne. She was unflappable. She was strong. She needed to be strong for Amber. She plastered a not-so-genuine smile on her face to replace the old one.

"With dancing too? Do you dance?"

She stood up and was surprised when the room spun. She put her hand up to her forehead and noticed that although her clothes and hair were drenched, her face was relatively dry.

"Uh oh..." she whispered. She realized then that she couldn't seem to get enough air. "I think the changes *gasp* are making me feel *gasp* like my lungs are full of water."

She then turned, placed her hands on the glass wall and dry heaved. She would have thrown up, but they hadn't received anything to vomit. It happened a few times before she sunk to the floor.

"I'm not doing so well now I guess..." she whispered. She peered over at Amber. "Stay strong... *gasp* They are coming... I *gasp* know it."
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Commander Jonathan Murch
Member Avatar

IAV Albright - Flight Deck D3

The Commander strode across the flight deck with a determined anger. That anger was only fueled when he saw the Gypsy Traveler's strong man come out of the Entertainer.

"I want him detained," he ordered quietly to the detail of guards following him. "I don't want anyone wandering about that shouldn't be. Let alone that gargantuan. Do it nice like though. I've seen his file. He could do some damage if provoked."

"Yes Sir."

He came to a stop about 5 feet in front of Sergei and studied the man. He certainly was dressing better. Romanov was surveying the scene like a seasoned professional. If he didn't know any better, he'd think he was a top notch security guard and not a circus freak.

He watched as Romanov motioned for whomever in charge to exit the ship. He hoped to God that it was that smug ass Captain of theirs. If so, he would have the bulk of their crew under wraps.

"We will be needing to know who the gentleman over there is."

"Who are you..." Murch began as he turned his head to follow the big man's line of sight.

He wasn't expecting was the interloper.

How did he get on board? Murch wondered. He didn't approve any other ships for landing privileges.

"Find out who that is," he ordered one of his detail.

He turned back to Sergei and crossed his arms over his chest. He couldn't wait to see who came out.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Darren Roberts
Member Avatar

Wandering through the Albright

Derek Smith. Fresh out of the Allied Greasemonkey Academy. Graduated with top marks and all that jazz. That was Darren's alias as he wandered somewhat nervously through the corridors of the big ship. He did his best to be as Alliance-y as possible. He saluted the superior officers, laughed (albeit a bit forced at times) at the derogatory jokes they made when he told him he was the "new guy", and did his best not to look like he didn't belong there. Though he did have to complement Skyelar on how the uniform fit. It wasn't scratchy or stiff as he thought it'd be and it had that new uniform smell too.

Cradled in one hand was the tablet computer that he occasionally glanced at as he made his way towards Engineering. He was their new "mechanic" after all, so heading there first was the logical thing to do. In addition to that, Darren also had to find out where the Gypsy Traveler was being kept so he could assess the damage to it and see about getting it freed from its shackles, be they physical, electrical, or both. There was also that thing about freeing Ari and Amber from the Brig. He surely hoped both women were OK.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 4: Quest for Freedom · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks