Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode 5: Can We Ever Truly Go Home?; Mycroft 'VerseFest
Topic Started: Apr 22 2015, 01:28 PM (16,347 Views)
The Gypsy Traveler
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Mycroft 'VerseFest

The Gypsy Traveler landed without incident and settled on the place they had been assigned. It was neither the furthest out from the main shows nor was it in the thick of the action. They would get enough business to book new venues and to carry on performances without being compared to the best of the best or with the bottom of the barrel acts. It was perfect.

They arrived about a day into the 'VerseFest and didn't have any shows booked for another two days. The Fest was in full swing already with parades every night, every conceivable act or concept, fantastic concessions (both traditional and gourmet) and a myriad of attendees. They had to get the Gypsy ready for a show, do a run through and explore what there was to do. Seeing other acts could give them ideas that they themselves could use, plus it was a great time to purchase new costumes, rigging and just about anything a performer could ever want.

Posted Image

But first they had to recover Clarence. Reno and the others missed him, some more than the rest, and he was glad that the big cat didn't have to go through the ship's incarceration aboard the Albright. He hadn't wanted to see the cat sold off like he was, but he was sure glad that he ended up in the possession of someone they knew. Plus having the coin to buy him back was always a boon and they would be able to restock with everything they needed: engine parts, food, medical supplies, fuel, etc.

All hail the data stick that they stole back on Kerry.

Thalia had made sure they were off the Feds' radar by deleting any mention of them on the Albright and of Ari and Amber's arrest. They had a blank slate. But that didn't make the crew any less wary or skittish when it came to law enforcement or military. To make sure order was kept at the Fest, there was bound to be both.

Reno also wondered if Raphael could be there. He would hire the guy back in a minute, after all, he was family and possibly the only one who might be able to get through to Ari, who was still quite withdrawn.

Most of all, it was nice to get back to normal. On the legitimate side, they had some gigs and on their side work, they had a data stick to pass off.

Welcome to 'VerseFest!

OOC: Posting is open for the arrival of new folks. Please note that the cargo bay doors are shut and until they are opened, you must knock.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Naniko Meissner
Member Avatar
🎶 ABCDEFG 🎶
Naniko had made it to Mycroft, and boy had she stepped out of her league !

Now, she had always known that she was small time, but it was one thing to idly know she was a small time bard, but it was very different to come to Mycroft and see just how far she has yet to go !

'Wooko' was very tempted to quit, on the spot ..... Fortunately, she didn't. Naniko decided to play 'david' to Mycroft's 'GOLIATH', and rise to the challenge. She fully intended to pull out all the stoppers and blow them away with her soundscapes.

Posted Image
^the Grim Decker, 4 decks high of cargo space, and a top deck for 6 crew.

Riding her cargo box-bike (with the bike trailer her music stuff was in) off of the Grim Decker, a Monolith-class light freighter which she managed to bribe her way onto (the Grim's crew were without a cook, and were sick of dry rations and water, so she cooked for them in an improvised kitchen), she slowly weaved to and fro through the crowd, before catching sight of an older transport, not even 5 dock pads over. It was rocket-like, with comparativly tiny outboard engines, and the lettering on the side, near the nose said .... The Gypsy Traveler ! Crazy captain Reno's ship ! Nani thought to herself with a squeak of delight.

Turning her cargo box-bike around and meandering towards the long ship, Nani had a big and cute grin positively plastered onto her face.

~ knock knock knock ~
Edited by Naniko Meissner, Nov 2 2016, 05:44 PM.
Posted Image

Stowaway
Member Avatar

Two Weeks Ago On The Albright

Coming into consciousness started out fuzzy and slow and went to way to clear when the vomiting began. Luckily someone was standing next to her with a bucket, which she promptly used.

God, she hated that stuff. It did a fantastic job of simulating death, but the retching afterwards… Not exactly something to look forward to.

Luckily it was over in a few minutes.

“You OK now?”

She looked up at him and nodded, then took a look at the room. They were in the morgue and it was a little overcrowded.

“This is a little creepy. Waking up among a room full of actual corpses.”

He rolled his eyes at her.

“You’ve seen worse.”

“I’ve done worse.”

“That you have.”

She jumped down off the table.

“Where are we?”

“We are just about ready to land on the IAV Albright,” he told her as he handed her a small duffle with clothes and other items in it. He also handed her an uniform for someone who would be working in the flight deck. “But there is a complication.”

“Complication?” she asked, suddenly coming alert.

“Seems that Pharaoh’s attack dog is on board. His ship will be just a few slips down from where we will end up.”

“The Advocate is there? If he found out what we are doing-” she started.

“If he found out what you are doing,” he corrected, interrupting her train of thought.

She smiled tightly and nodded to indicate that she realized her mistake.

“I don’t think it is too much to worry about. It is unfortunate that he is there, but if my plans were discovered, he would not be the one they would send,” she thought aloud. “He’s formidable, but not his style or SOP.”

“I agree.”

“I will just have to be careful.”

“Indeed,” he said. “You also need to get off now. Before someone sees you. There are people in the Med Bay now. We must leave via the Forensics Lab.”

“You mean, I should leave that way.”

That earned her a smile from him.

“Now you’re getting it.”

She changed into the uniform before they slipped quietly out the other side and down the Hall. She slipped in through the vent and took the “long way” down to the airlock. By the time she arrived, they had just landed. Her helper already had the panel off the airlock controls. They were damaged, but still workable. She quickly put in the codes needed to bypass the alarms and paused for a moment.

”Don’t contact me again. I will deny everything.”

She nodded, open the door and slip out unnoticed.

That’s when she saw the other ship. The Gypsy Traveler. That was her ticket out. Without much effort, she slipped over there and boarded the ship. It didn’t take long for her to find a hidey hole. The plan was to tag along until they got to their next stop and disappear into thin air.

Mycroft

She was ready to leave. She had her stuff packed, but the happenings she witnessed over the past two weeks had peaked her interest.

Especially by finding that Ian Dugan was on board. She watched him many times while they traveled, but knew not to get too close. He would probably know that someone was there. She had gotten a little too close a couple of times and nearly get found out. Luckily someone else came by and averted his attention.

She knew what she was going to do now. It was risky, but she had to follow her instincts.

So when they landed, she utilized the same trick to temporarily cut out the security measures and slip out the airlock.

It was time to put her plan into effect.

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

It was about a half hour or more after they landed that Reno heard the knock at one of the cargo bay doors.

He went and answered it, pulling it open.

"We are not ready for performances yet. Two days from now-" he started, then realized who is was. "Naniko! Hey, it's great to see you?"

He looked over her shoulder to see her new set up.

"Hey! That's a better cart than before, isn't it? You get an upgrade?" he asked before giving her a big smile. "And does that mean you are accepting my job offer?"

He hoped that she was. It probably wasn't a good time to bring someone new into the crew since they all seemed a little raw from the Albright experience, but it was good to be doing something normal.

His hand rubbed along his ribs a little since he was still healing up from the beating he took from Sergei.

"Come on in," he said as he lowered the main door so she could pull her bicycle in. "This is the Back Yard. In circus talk, that means that this is where we keep the stuff we don't use during a show. It's a practice area too."

He smiled at the empty lion cage. He was looking forward to getting Clarence back.
Posted Image

Naniko Meissner
Member Avatar
🎶 ABCDEFG 🎶
"Naniko! Hey, it's great to see you ?.......Hey! That's a better cart than before, isn't it? You get an upgrade?" he asked before giving her a big smile. "....And does that mean you are accepting my job offer?"

"yep Yep YEP" Nani said, lilting her voice and swirling her hand like writing a list, to cute effect.

"Come on in," he said as he lowered the main door so she could pull her bicycle in. "This is the Back Yard. In circus talk, that means that this is where we keep the stuff we don't use during a show. It's a practice area too."

Pulling her cargo bike along by its handlebars, Nani followed his gaze to.... a big cage. "Omm.... What is, the cage, for ?"
Posted Image

Ian Dugan
Member Avatar
Death's Toy Boy
Ian walked out of the Med Bay at that time, dressed all in Black from head to toe, leather and cotton, gunbelt, weapons and Duster.

"It ta put curious folk in an watch'em squirm .....

He voice was deep and dark. Not all like he usually was. Why he did it like that he didn't know. Just glad to be dirt side for once.

"Nahhh. Just kiddin. Its for our Lion."

He voice went back to normal and his crooked smile was on his lips.

"Ian Dugan, resident gun hand, Medic, and soon ta be Lion Tamer."

He offered his hand.
Posted Image

Naniko Meissner
Member Avatar
🎶 ABCDEFG 🎶
And then a man in military gear and a duster came out of elsewhere from the ship. "It ta put curious folk in an watch'em squirm." he said, his voice all dark and gravelly, like a movie villain. Nani's face was a picture perfect expression of 'eep!'. "Nahhh. Just kiddin. Its for our Lion."and then just like that, she was visibly relieved.

"Ian Dugan, resident gun hand, Medic, and soon ta be Lion Tamer." he said, introducing himself. She likewise introduced herself: "Naniko Meissner, or to the public ...." and shook Ian's hand, and then with a flourish of her hands, she produced a single hand-made business card. It was tye-dye and whimsical, which simply said 'Wooko' in large fancy-script, and below it 'The Bard Between Worlds'.
Posted Image

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

Cargo Bay

Reno was elated that Naniko answered him that she was indeed taking him up on his offer of employment.

"yep Yep YEP"

She pulled her cargo bike into the Back Yard. Reno's eyes lit up as he watched her gaze fall upon the cage.

"Omm.... What is, the cage, for ?"

He was about to answer her when Ian arrived, exiting the Med Bay.

"It ta put curious folk in an watch'em squirm .....

The tone he used seemed sinister. Reno liked that. Sinister Ian paired with Clarence... The trappings of a show were coming together. He was seeing Ian tell the audience about Clarence, the Man Eating Lion. Course, they might have to give him a stage name for the act. Not Ian... Clarence. Clarence just didn't sound scary enough. They might be able to do something with Ian's clothes too. Not sure how a duster and Clarence would work together, but he'd figure that out later too.

"Nahhh. Just kiddin. Its for our Lion."

Reno nodded affirmatively to Naniko so she knew that he wasn't joking anymore.

"Ian Dugan, resident gun hand, Medic, and soon ta be Lion Tamer."

As Ian offered Naniko his hand, he spoke quickly.

"Don't think Ian here has ever worked with lions, but he is just going to do so well with it. Clarence may look formidable, but he is a pussycat at heart."

He grinned again.

"Literally."

She went on with her own introduction as she shook Ian's hand.

"Naniko Meissner, or to the public ...."

Her business card came out of no where and she handed it to Ian.

Quote:

'Wooko'
'The Bard Between Worlds'.

"I met Naniko before we went to Kerry and offered her a job. She's quite the accomplished musician. We need one for our acts; the pre-recorded go se we use now needs a serious overhaul," Reno paused thoughtfully before continuing. "Naniko... Naniko... Can I call you Nani? I just like it better."

Reno shrugged a little then went on.

"Of course she would get her time to do her own musical show. She's a headliner here, just like everyone else," he explained as he turned back to her. "You need any visual effects for your act? I like blowing things up. Well, more like pyrotechnics. I have other avenues to sate my love of actually blowing things up. Anyway..."

He waved his arm towards the inside of the ship.

"This is the Back Yard, then the Med Bay and the other side is where we do our performances when we don't set up a tent outside. Sometimes the climate doesn't allow for outdoor venues," he explained. "The next deck above us is the Bridge, The Galley, Passenger Quarters, Engine Room, etc. Basically most of the common areas are located there. Then the deck above that are for crew quarters. You'll be in Bunk #4 between me and our mechanic, Darren."

Reno bounced up and down on the balls of his feet, his excitement was palpable.

"I think you'll fit in here just fine."

Posted Image

Michaiah
Member Avatar
aka Mickey the Cook
Cargo Bay Entrance

She came up to the entrance of the Gypsy Traveler tentatively. She made like she was shy and merely gazed in at the other people inside.

Finally, she knocked softly.

"Sorry to bother you, but do you have any openings?" she asked. "I'm not a performer... Well not yet... I want to be."

She wrung her hands a little. And looked down at her shoes.

"But I am a good cook and I can clean," she offered. She glanced up at Reno, but averted her eyes again. "Maybe I can assist your concession staff?"

Not a performer... What a joke. She performed in the most tricky of venues doing things much, much more dangerous than the circus. But this is where she wanted to be. Here, while they were on the move, was her best bet in safety. Also, here is where her curiosity was peaked. Here she would reinvent herself.

Here is where Ian Dugan was.

Here is where the new Michaiah will be born.

Posted Image

Naniko Meissner
Member Avatar
🎶 ABCDEFG 🎶
"I met Naniko before we went to Kerry and offered her a job. She's quite the accomplished musician. We need one for our acts; the pre-recorded go se we use now needs a serious overhaul," Reno paused thoughtfully before continuing. "Naniko... Naniko... Can I call you Nani? I just like it better." She smiled and did a sort of permissive head-tilt nod. 'Nani' was indeed easier to say, so she didn't mind it.

"You need any visual effects for your act? I like blowing things up. Well, more like pyrotechnics. I have other avenues to sate my love of actually blowing things up. Anyway...." She really hadn't thought about the visual aspect of her performances. Thus far, Nani had been depending solely on the soundscape of her music and bardic skills..... well, aside from her clothing/costumes. She would have to think on that some.....

Speaking of clothing, Nani was wearing a renaissance style flowery-print tunic made of torn and re-sewn swatches of a patterned cloth, with long bell-sleeves. Nani contrasted it with a fluffy and flouncy brown and khaki tiered skirt with black threading trim, and hemmed at the bottom with black denim for wear-resistance. Her feet weren't currently visible.

A quiet voice sort of spoke-whispered. "Sorry to bother you, but do you have any openings?......I'm not a performer... Well not yet... I want to be."

Nani turned around to see a reedy-looking blonde woman standing there, about ready to fold up into herself and disappear. The poor girl acted like she was terribly abused for long spans of time. Part of Naniko wanted to take the abused-girl and give her a big hug....

"But I am a good cook and I can clean," she meekly offered. The blonde glanced up at Reno, but then averted her eyes again. "Maybe I can assist your concession staff?"

Nani blink-blinked and lifted her eyebrows, and turned to Reno "Is the ship big enough for to have concession staff ?"
Edited by Naniko Meissner, Nov 2 2016, 05:49 PM.
Posted Image

Reno Carson
Member Avatar

Cargo Bay Ramp

Reno's attention was drawn away from Nani and Ian when a blonde woman addressed them. She was shy, but t hat kind of intrigued him. A woman that shy who wanted to be a performer? Maybe she just had a fear of meeting new people?

Then she mentioned cooking. Lord knows that the Gypsy Traveler could use someone who could put together a proper meal. One could only survive on protein cubes and Fruity Oatey Bars for so long.

He was about to say something, but then she mentioned something about their concession staff.

"Is the ship big enough for to have concession staff?"

Reno glanced over at her to see her raised eyebrow. He gave her a grin.

"It is, but we haven't as of yet. Maybe it is a good time to start."

He walked down to greet the woman.

"I'm Captain Reno Carson. We don't have concessions here on the Gypsy Traveler," he told her. "Or a Cook."

He watched her face as she heard his words.

"But perhaps we should expand business a little," he mused as he took stock in the woman. "So, if I gave you the run of the kitchen, maybe you could do like an audition of sorts? You can leave your stuff here, can't have you adding any special ingredients. It will be safe, I promise. I want to see what you can do with what we have. You do well there and we can talk business."

He turned back to Ian.

"Mr. Lion Tamer? Can you show our possible new crew member the galley? And watch her so she doesn't cheat?" he emphasized the word cheat with air quotes. He hoped that Ian understood the underlying meaning of what he was instructing him to do.

It was a subtle suggestion of him wanting Ian to make sure she didn't poison the food, kill them all and take their ship. After all, after they went through what they did, he was still super suspicious. What if she was Alliance looking to pay them back some retribution? Thalia had done a superb job of covering their tracks and deleting reference of them from the Albright's records, save the customs search, which didn't turn up anything abnormal. But you couldn't be too careful, right?

"What is your name anyway?"
Posted Image

Michaiah
Member Avatar
aka Mickey the Cook
Entrance to Cargo Bay

Michaiah watched as all three of them turned to regard her. She knew Ian and Reno, had observed them aboard the ship as she had traveled so secretly along with them from the Albright to Mycroft.

The woman though. She was not one she knew. A crew member rejoining them? Maybe a new person altogether?

Reno's eyes seemed to perk up as she mentioned the cooking, cleaning and concessions.

"Is the ship big enough for to have concession staff?"

That cinched it. The woman was a newbie.

"It is, but we haven't as of yet. Maybe it is a good time to start."

Reno approached her. She made sure she stepped back just a minute bit. She was supposed to be shy after all. If he noticed it, he didn't change they way he approached.

"I'm Captain Reno Carson. We don't have concessions here on the Gypsy Traveler," "Or a Cook."

He was definitely trying to get a read on her. This made was shrewd. He was not a pushover. He might let her on anyway, but she would be watched closely until the crew's trust was earned.

"But perhaps we should expand business a little,"

There was more scrutiny on his part. This was going to be something she would have to take slow.

"So, if I gave you the run of the kitchen, maybe you could do like an audition of sorts? You can leave your stuff here, can't have you adding any special ingredients. It will be safe, I promise. I want to see what you can do with what we have. You do well there and we can talk business."

Leave her stuff there? That was a definite move of suspicion. She was more than sure he was going to search her stuff while she was upstairs.

"Mr. Lion Tamer? Can you show our possible new crew member the galley? And watch her so she doesn't cheat?"

Reno's definition of 'cheat' meant poison. Yes, this was going to be a hard sell, but the thought of spending time with Ian Dugan was more than tempting. She had to know more about him.

"What is your name anyway?"

She wrung her hands a little again before answering him back meekly.

"Michaiah. Michaiah Cook," she answered before chuckling a bit. "I know it is kind of ironic, but it's what it is."

It wouldn't be the first time a crew member had a name that matched their profession. They did have an aerialist named Ariel.

"You can call me Mickey though. Michaiah is so formal," she said before turning her eyes to Ian. "Lead on Lion Tamer. I accept your captain's challenge."
Posted Image

Ariel Duquesne
Member Avatar
Aerial Artist with 'tude
Darren's Bunk

Ari had been awake for a while and curled up on the top of the bed with a sheet wrapped around her nude body, balancing on the edge as she nearly huddled against the wall. She hadn't bolted from his room like she did the last three times she was there even though she wanted to.

But Darren had made her promise that she would stay.

And if she was terrified before, she didn't know what to call it now.

This was entirely new territory for her. Which only added to her mood.

She had broken all of her rules.

Several times each.

But she couldn't stay away from him. He treated her different. And while she was with him, she almost felt safe. Even though she knew the reality that his life was either in danger because of her or he was destined to break her heart by leaving.

She hadn't mentioned what had happened between them to anyone other than Amber. She had bolted before Amber could say much of anything and had also let her real fears be voiced as well. So, like someone who hadn't had a friend in a long while, she avoided her in response to it.

So with her mind in a jumble, she just watched Darren sleep. She had kept her promise to him to stay, but as soon as he saw that, she was going to get dressed and go practice.

Again.
Posted Image

Ian Dugan
Member Avatar
Death's Toy Boy
As the second new comer came up and spoke, Ian inhaled deeply, as was his way. He breathed in the scent of Orange peel and sun blossom and knew that it was Nani. He got a quizzical expression on his face and breathed again, not so deeply but more directed.

He raised an eye brow. The new comer had no scent that he could get.

Everyone on board had a scent. Just the women were easier to remember.

Amber smelled of apple blossom, Ariel smelled of a strong red grape, when she didn't smell like Darren.

This women actually intrigued him. He barley caught Reno's suggestion to take her around to the galley. He did not miss the significance of his air quotes.

From Mickey

"You can call me Mickey though. Michaiah is so formal. ... Lead on Lion Tamer. I accept your captain's challenge."

"Right this way, Mickey."

He indicated the direction with hand.

Her voice sounds like music.... he thought
Posted Image

Michaiah
Member Avatar
aka Mickey the Cook
Cargo Bay

Michaiah tilted her head just a little as she watched Ian's reaction to her. She saw the inhale and knew from what she had heard that he wasn't breathing; he was actually smelling. So it was true.

He also looked just a bit intrigued as he looked at her and she saw another breath. There was something different about her and she wondered what it was.

Then he raised his eyebrow at her, another indication that something was off. She wondered what information he usually got from a person's scent.

But he was still aware enough to catch his Captain's suggestion on what to do with her.

"Right this way, Mickey."

She followed his direction until she reached the galley.

"Let's see what you all have for me to use," she said as she began to poke around the cupboards. She frowned as she crossed her arms and looked inside the cupboard she had opened. Seeing the complete variety of what was there, she was a little disappointed. "Have you guys been eating protein cubes every day? There isn't much else here. Kinda hard to do a proper audition."

After a moment, she began pulling a few things out of the cupboard and set them on the table.

"No wonder you all need a cook," she remarked looking up at him. "So are you actually a lion tamer? That has to be exciting."

Getting alone time with him was quite satisfactory. She hadn't quite expected that so soon.t
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 5: Can We Ever Truly Go Home? · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks