Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Verse Online. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode 1: An Uncomfortable Proposal
Topic Started: Mar 13 2016, 01:32 AM (2,289 Views)
Darwin

The crew (Gabrielle, Aeryn, Abe and Octavius) came from here.

Octavius was deposited in the Med Bay, having yet to wake up.

Gabrielle checked on the ship and went about making it air-worthy. There was that problem with trying to get rid of the pesky landlock thing that all the ships had been slapped with when the quarantine was announced.

Abe stood at the entrance of the cargo bay, looking out through whatever landscape that lay before her, getting more and more agitated that the man who Gabrielle had sent to pick up their stuff had yet to arrive.

At least they were at a more beneficial and defendable environment.

Hippocrates had a doctor coming to work with Octavius and promised that if they needed anything, he would supply it.

Hopefully, they will be able to escape before someone blows them out of the sky.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Abenette Kelker
Member Avatar

They had gotten to Gabrielle's ship and they had taken Gus straight to their med bay. There was a doctor arriving sometime soon, she just didn't know if it was there or someplace after they hopefully got off that plant intact.

She stood on the cargo bay, because of the fact that no matter how chaotic things were, she wanted her stuff. She wanted to be as well armed as she could should they come to a battle to get away. She stood with the door open, still standing there with the dress on. Feet bare because who in their right mind could wear those heelie things for more than 5 minutes? She longed for her cargo pants and cotton tank tops and combat boots.

She wanted her boys.

So as each moment passed, she began to get more and more frustrated.

And angry.

Where the good gorram is Gabrielle's man?
Posted Image

Gabrielle Andrews
Member Avatar

Gabrielle got the ship ready to go, but she was starting to get warnings from the Docking Authority. Something like, 'power down and do not try to take off' and 'we will shoot you out of the sky' and 'we're sending someone to talk to you about your actions.' Gabrielle snorted and turned off the docking authority.

"Darwin, send a message to the big man," she said tersely. "We're gonna need some extra help breaking the industrial sized land lock and probably some repair work since they are going to try to shoot us down."

Darwin did as it was told.

"Message sent." was the response.

It didn't take long before they got one back.

H said that she is nearby. He has instructed her to come forthwith and assigned her to the crew. You might need a long term engineer and he vouches for her proficiency.

"Excellent."

She got the engines online, she just needed the landlock lifted. In the meantime, she instructed Darwin to call her if needed and she went down to wait in the cargo bay. She found Abe there already and stopped when she came alongside the girl.

"We have a couple of people to board," she warned. "Plus we might have a welcoming party. Be ready."

She looked out towards the other berths. The place was getting towards the deserted end of things. People seemed to be hunkering down and locking up to avoid the danger building on the streets.

"Kyle..." she muttered. "Where in the good gorram are you?"
Posted Image

Kyle McNulty
Member Avatar

(Kyle came from here.)

Fashionably late, Kyle McNulty burst out of the tunnels and into the hangar where Darwin, and her charge, was waiting. His hand was ready at his weapon, and he was carrying a small arsenal of weapons and gear, easily recognizable as belonging to Abe and Gus, if Abe and Gus were the ones doing the recognizing.

He knew that Kildaro was likely only a few steps behind, so he didn't slow down on his way to the ready loading ramp. He called out to Gabrielle.

"Honey, I'm ho~ome! This guy says he knows you guys, but if that's not the case.. well, I'm sure you can deal with it!"
Posted Image

Hellfire For Hire

Abenette Kelker
Member Avatar

Cargo Bay Ramp

Abe felt Gabrielle come up beside her, but gave her no acknowledgment. She was still watching the woman, but she had bigger fish to fry.

She wanted her boys. Having Gus down like this for so long was scaring her.

Plus, if the red head wanted to kill her, she would have done it already.

"We have a couple of people to board," "Plus we might have a welcoming party. Be ready."

"How many?" she asked. After all, she didn't want to shoot someone who might be there to help them. "You have names? Descriptions?"

She didn't know if Gabrielle had heard her or not, because she hear the woman grumble beneath her voice.

"Kyle..." "Where in the good gorram are you?"

Abe turned slightly towards her.

"He's the man with my boys?" she questioned sharply. "Is he as trustworthy as you say? Because if he doesn't move his ass a little faster, I am going to go find him and I won't be too calm about things when I do find him."

All of a sudden, two men arrived in a hurry. She had her hand on Dude, the one that she managed to carry with her, ready to fire if they turned out to be a threat. She didn't recognize the one, but relaxed a little when she saw Kildaro behind him. They had hers and Gus's weapons and things.

"Honey, I'm ho~ome! This guy says he knows you guys, but if that's not the case.. well, I'm sure you can deal with it!"

My wasn't that guy a little too perky.

"Kildaro," she said nodding friendly at the second guy. "Is this everything?"

She took the pack from him and began to sift through it quickly. She pulled out Wyatt and loaded him up, ready to go. He really was her best rifle.

She also wanted to arm herself, but she remembered that she had a gorram dress on and therefore no place to stow her weapons.

She found her clothes further down in the bag and took it from Kildaro and slung it over her shoulder. She didn't look like she could, but she was used to lugging them around.

"Set everything Lester down, Kildaro," she instructed him. Kildaro had a hold of the case that Lester, her biggest weapon lay. "Get on back to the Ivory Rose. Check on Ayden and make sure she is OK. That was quite a beating she took. She will need you if things get ugly and looters decide to come out."

Then she turned to Kyle.

"Bring that to my new quarters," she ordered, a bit on the frustrated side. "I need to get ready for incoming."

She looked at Gabrielle.

"If he forgot or damaged anything, I hope you don't like him too much. I am a bit on the angry side at the moment."

With that, she stormed off towards to cabin she had picked for her and Gus.

Hopefully, he will wake up.
Posted Image

Tanith Jones
Member Avatar

Tanith always traveled light. In her position, most of what she needed professionally was waiting for her where she was going, and most of what she needed personally was easier to acquire on arrival than to bring it along. This time, the ship wasn't transport though, it was the destination. The hover cart she pulled along behind her held the heaviest load she had traveled with since leaving for college. There still wasn't much bulk, it all fit nicely on the small cart, but it was heavy. The centerpiece was a tall, multi drawer toolbox, locked up as securely as many strong boxes full of cashy money. Some of the tools it contained wouldn't be found anywhere else, and a few would serve no purpose to anyone not working on her projects.

No matter how light she normally traveled though, she always traveled armed. Anyone who carried the secrets she carried would be irresponsible to go undefended. She preferred a compact, heavy caliber revolver; something that looked intimidating enough from the wrong end to scare away most of those who might end up seeing it, and hit hard enough for the rest. Her leather jacket had been tailored to conceal it, but today, she left it hanging open. She wanted anyone observing her with ill intentions to spot the signs of a gun riding along. She didn't have time for trouble, and most trouble wanted easier prey. She wanted to send a message; "look somewhere else."

The knife on her belt wasn't hidden at all, but she didn't regard it as a weapon, even though it could clearly serve as one. It was a well maintained, and equally well used multipurpose tool, far less sophisticated than much of what filled drawers in the secured toolbox, but more often reached for.

Some things were too basic and worked too well to ever get old.

The ship was right up ahead, a Hornet Class, which was good, because it had the word "fast" in its designation, and better, because the word was actually appropriate. Hopefully, it would be fast enough to avoid being shot down until she could put an "er" after that fast, maybe even a shot at an "est."

Her boots hit the cargo ramp in a puff of dust the hover cart kicked up from the dock as it hit the incline and started upward. These people would be expecting her, no need to slow down and knock. She reached back and grabbed a small military surplus satchel on top of the cart's load, the one thing she'd need before The Black.

"You sent for an engineer." she said. "That's me."
Posted Image

Gabrielle Andrews
Member Avatar

Gabrielle watched as Abe was all business when she joined her on the cargo ramp. It was oddly disconcerting that Abe was out there instead of with Roman. After all, she seemed to care for him and he for her, but this was...

So. Very. Confusing.

Gabrielle just didn't get relationships. Physical ones she understood, but the other kind where feelings were involved? It was bewildering.

Then again, Roman wouldn't be attracted to a woman who shed tears and simpered at his bedside.

"How many?" "You have names? Descriptions?"

Ah... She wants information. She seems to want to defend Darwin.

"Kyle McNulty, a decent bounty hunter and miscreant who fancies himself my husband," she shot a sideways look at Abe. "Long story."

Long indeed.

"Tanith Jones. Gifted engineer," she revealed. "And Dr. Pickett Rice, because Roman needs a doctor."

Abe locked on to Kyle's name though.

"He's the man with my boys?" "Is he as trustworthy as you say? Because if he doesn't move his ass a little faster, I am going to go find him and I won't be too calm about things when I do find him."

Somehow, she almost pitied Kyle, but it would be an interesting thing to watch.

Luckily, it wasn't something she had to look into. Kyle was there, as well as the bartender.

Gabrielle just looked at him, eyebrow raised.

"Kildaro," "Is this everything?"

Abe shuffled through her stuff lickety split and was quick about pulling out a rifle, which looked odd in contrast with the dress she had on.

Which is why she fished out a set of clothes forthwith.

"Set everything Lester down, Kildaro," "Get on back to the Ivory Rose. Check on Ayden and make sure she is OK. That was quite a beating she took. She will need you if things get ugly and looters decide to come out."

The bartender was smart and scurried off quick as could be. Which was good for all of them. Abe had read the situation right. Things could get badif the quarantine kept on.

"Bring that to my new quarters," "I need to get ready for incoming."

She couldn't help but get a smile on her face. She wondered how Kyle would take to her.

"If he forgot or damaged anything, I hope you don't like him too much. I am a bit on the angry side at the moment."

She watched as Abe stormed off. She looked at Kyle with a smile.

"I wouldn't want to make her wait. She could shoot you."

That's when a woman approached the ship with a hover cart. She was quite armed as well, but Gabrielle did not fear her, nor did she worry at all about her intentions. Gabrielle recognized her from the profile Hippocrates had sent. It was Tanith Jones.

"You sent for an engineer." "That's me."

Gabrielle nodded in acknowledgement.

"I'll show you to a room. I figure that you would want to the engine room quickly after that?"

Now there was just a Dr. Rice. Once he was on board, they could leave.

And maybe figure out what was happening inside the head of Octavius Roman.

Posted Image

Dr. Pickett Rice
Member Avatar

It had been a hell of a party.

In his eyes, the wedding’s words had held the same shallow promises of every religious union he’d ever attended but his friends' faces had signed pacts and paid promises too beautiful and genuine to be translated by the human tongue. He’d never been a religious man; electing a life of science and medicine usually eliminated the very idea of faith, but during that wedding, and its uproarious reception, his younger self had toyed with a moment of belief.
Adam and Brian, the happy couple and his best mates from University, had suffered and laughed through the privilege of drunken dances with a very inebriated Pickett Rice, their joint-Best Man. It had been an evening of celebration and when the dawn finally broke and only Adam, Brian and Pickett remained, the trio turned their attention to his suit.

“Smart money says the next time we see you in a suit will be your funeral,” Adam had cackled.

“Oh but what a sharp corpse you’ll make, Pluckett,” Brian winked as he drained his wine glass.

Boarding The Darwin and immediately coming to a stop, Dr Pickett Rice stood, resplendent, wearing his suit from Adam and Brian’s wedding; his backpack over his shoulders and two satchels criss-crossed at his hip.

Without the trace of a smile, he addressed the entire space.

”I was on my way to my funeral when someone ordered a House-Call?”

(OOC - I'll apologize in advance. Its been awhile.)

Tanith Jones
Member Avatar

"I'll show you to a room. I figure that you would want to the engine room quickly after that?"

"Engine room should be first." Tanith replied, letting the cart settle down to the deck. "I can get settled in once we're in The Black and out of the present danger."

There was someone else coming in behind her. Must have followed her right up the ramp. Looked like he planned to stay a while, which was good. The ship didn't, if she had anything to say about it.

"Well, anyway." she said, turning back to Gabrielle. She hefted the small satchel she was holding. "This is a bit more elegant if they don't already know we're trying to break out, but it'll work in any case. Just better to get out ahead of them as much as possible."

Hopefully, once the quick and smooth part was over, whoever was going to fly the ship would get them past the next part just as smoothly.
Posted Image

Gabrielle Andrews
Member Avatar

Gabrielle was impressed with the no nonsense approach of Tanith Jones.

"Engine room should be first." "I can get settled in once we're in The Black and out of the present danger."

She smiled and gave a curt nod.

"Well you don't have to go far," Gabrielle said as she pointed over to the right. "Your room is there last on the port side(the red one)," before pointing down. "Engine is below us. Access to it can be reached by one of the service hatches on either side."

Then her attention was drawn to the cargo bay entrance.

Gabrielle raised an eyebrow at the guy. Somewhat ignoring him for a moment, she turned back to Tanith who spoke again.

"Well, anyway." "This is a bit more elegant if they don't already know we're trying to break out, but it'll work in any case. Just better to get out ahead of them as much as possible."

Gabrielle nodded. They needed off Persephone. The longer they stayed, the closer the others would get. Really, it wouldn't take much time to find them if they decide to start sweeping the berths.

"Yell if you need anything. I can get probably get Aeryn to come down. She knows about computers and no matter how talented you are, sometimes you just can't grow another set of hands," she told her. "I pilot Darwin. When you are ready, I will get us into the air."

Then she turned to Rice.

"About time you got here. You have a patient. You can drop your stuff in the room just aft of the med bay," she told him, her demeanor curt and business like. "He passed out when he laid eyes on his sister, I am sure it may have been programmed in that way, but then again, he hasn't been functioning quite right. It could be something more organic."

She motioned him towards the med bay.

"Either way, I need you to fix him, dong ma?" she said, pinning him with a glare. "Let's see to him."

OOC: I am making a guess as to where the engine actually is in order to give them more room in their cargo bay. Plus I just can't swallow that they'd have to go through the engine area to go in and out of the ship. The place just seems more high class than that.

Also, if you are looking at the deck plans, the access hatches are on either side of the engine and look like this:"

Posted Image
Posted Image

Kyle McNulty
Member Avatar

The first thing that Abe did was call Kildaro over, and she spoke with him in a very calm manner as he handed over her bags and she rifled through them for… oh, a rifle. That was a bon mot. She then instructed the bartender to return to the Rose, and he did. Kyle gave him a nod on the way out. He’d have to properly thank the man another time.

If we’re ever allowed back here, that is.

Then the smallish woman turned to him, her tone not-so-calm. ”Bring that to my new quarters, I need to get ready for incoming.”

Uhh, yes ma’am. She spoke to him like it was his fault it took so long, but he held his tongue rather than point the blame in the direction of the recently-departed barkeep. If the man had just trusted him in the first place, they would have been here a few minutes quicker. It was hard to impart on the normal folk how a few minutes was more than enough to be the difference between life and death.

Abe turned to Gabrielle, as if he wasn’t even there, and spoke again.

”If he forgot or damaged anything, I hope you don’t like him too much. I am a bit on the angry side at the moment.”

He chuckled, raising his hand. ”Hi, I’m right here. And don’t worry, she doesn’t like me much at all. Do ya, sweetie?” He winked at the redhead, and started to follow Abe down the corridor.

”Look, I’d have been here sooner if it weren’t for your buddy Kildaro. Guess he didn’t trust my face. What’s not to trust? Whatever hornets’ nest you got yourself into, it must be pretty bad if Gabby called me. But trust me, there’re really no two people you’d rather have on your side in a situation like this. We’ll make sure you and your man get somewhere far away from these yuchun de hundan. Might even get to fight a buyao lian or two. Won’t that be fun?”

He pulled the bags even more tightly against himself as they continued down. Levity. This chick needed some serious levity in her life.
Posted Image

Hellfire For Hire

Abenette Kelker
Member Avatar

Abe ignored Kyle as she was talking to Gabrielle.

”Hi, I’m right here. And don’t worry, she doesn’t like me much at all. Do ya, sweetie?”

Somehow she didn't think Gabrielle would want to be called "sweetie." She didn't really care at the moment; she had things to do and weapons to ready.

And God forgive Kyle if he left behind or damaged anything.

”Look, I’d have been here sooner if it weren’t for your buddy Kildaro. Guess he didn’t trust my face. What’s not to trust? Whatever hornets’ nest you got yourself into, it must be pretty bad if Gabby called me. But trust me, there’re really no two people you’d rather have on your side in a situation like this. We’ll make sure you and your man get somewhere far away from these yuchun de hundan. Might even get to fight a buyao lian or two. Won’t that be fun?”

She shot him a glare. Kildaro was a pretty level headed guy and she would trust his judgment way before Kyle's.

"Just so ya' know, Kildaro helped save my life. I wouldn't be speaking badly towards him."

When she got to her cabin, she waved Kyle in before taking one of the bags and opening it up to reveal the arsenal. As she took the weapons out, she checked them for ammo, then tossed them on the bed as she sorted.

"Mine. Gus's. Gus's. Mine. Gus's..." she muttered to herself. Then without stopping, she addressed Kyle. "So who are you to Gabrielle?"
Posted Image

Dr. Pickett Rice
Member Avatar

CARGO BAY

”Either way, I need you to fix him, dong ma? Lets see to him.”

Fantastic, the Boss’s fiery redhead was in actuality a ball busting purple-belly. Fan-rutting-tastic!

So it looked like ‘chit-chat’ was off the table...which was basically his only weapon in the war of the sexes.

Well, he had one other pistol to draw.

Donning his Dr. Serious expression, Pickett approached his new ‘master’ with the stride of a man he most assuredly wasn’t.

”Lost consciousness at the sight of his sister? Hasn’t been functioning quite right? It could be something more organic?”

Pickett stood at arm’s length; just beyond the borders of what would be considered ‘personal airspace’.

”Is that the half-ass vague go-se I can come to expect aboard this boat? What are the patient’s vitals? Do you have him hooked up to anything or has he been deposited on a table for leeching? I don’t expect you or anyone here to do my job, but for rutt’s sake lets not hinder each other shall we? I’ll keep everyone alive and you can run around with a watch telling everyone they’re late. Just look out for blondes, they can’t get enough of the tardy…be following you down rabbit holes before you know it.”

Realizing a little of himself had crept into his Dr Serious facade, Rice geared back down,
”Anyway, download his data into my CorePad and I’ll take it from here.”

Pickett knew the wet snap of his neck would be forthcoming but he produced a genuine smile none-the-less. The smile wasn’t in regards to his impending death but for the fact that whoever was number Two on the Boss’s list better have their calendar cleared.

Kyle McNulty
Member Avatar

"Just so ya' know, Kildaro helped save my life. I wouldn't be speaking badly towards him."

He glanced up at her when she said it, slight disbelief painting his face. It was hard to believe this one needing that one to save her life. Then again, Kildaro had come through for him, as well. May have saved Kelker again, not to mention Roman and Gabby. So maybe there was more to the squirrelly little guy than met the eye. Either way...

"Wasn't talkin' bad about anyone, Miss. Didn't say anything that wasn't the truth. Believe it or not, it's not as easy as just walking in the front door and asking 'pretty as you please.' Took a bit of convincing to get to your things. I guess, maybe, that's to his credit. Either way, he helped us all out today. I won't forget it."

He continued to help Kelker unload her stuff, way too much deadly stuff for one person. Overkill, just like Gabby. He didn't understand why someone would pack an arsenal when a single weapon would do. But hey, whatever made them feel safe. What really worried him was that one day, all that encumbrance would get them killed.

"So who are you to Gabrielle?"

Now, that's a loaded question.

He leaned against the wall, arms crossing. "Can't imagine what it is to you. She trusts me. Of course, I don't want any problems on this mission... whatever it is. So..." He chuckled slightly. "I'm her burden. Sometimes, I'm her partner. Sometimes, I'm something else. What I never am is a problem, or a liability. I'm gorram good at what I do, and what I do is what-the-ruttever Gabby needs me to do. So don't you worry, Miss, what Gabby and I are. If she trusts you, then you've got me. Whatever you need done, whoever you need it done to, say the word."

He glanced down at the floor, grinning. "And, if the door's locked and you hear us laughing or yelling... best to mosey on. You don't take as much of a joiner, anyway."
Posted Image

Hellfire For Hire

Gabrielle Andrews
Member Avatar

Gabrielle watched as the new physician strode up to her, seemingly looking like he had grown a pair.

”Lost consciousness at the sight of his sister? Hasn’t been functioning quite right? It could be something more organic?”

She cocked an eyebrow at him.

”Is that the half-ass vague go-se I can come to expect aboard this boat? What are the patient’s vitals? Do you have him hooked up to anything or has he been deposited on a table for leeching? I don’t expect you or anyone here to do my job, but for rutt’s sake lets not hinder each other shall we? I’ll keep everyone alive and you can run around with a watch telling everyone they’re late. Just look out for blondes, they can’t get enough of the tardy…be following you down rabbit holes before you know it.”

Brazen... And annoying as Hell. Hippocrates was right about those traits. She just hoped he was good at his job.

”Anyway, download his data into my CorePad and I’ll take it from here.”

Gabrielle smiled at him for a moment before barreling into him hard and quick enough to pin him to the wall.

"Listen here, Dr. Rice. I am far from someone's back birth, so don't treat me like one," she said into his ear. "I am only annoyed with your tardiness because we are expecting folks to show up at any time looking to make sure one way or another that we never get off this rock or even see the light of day ever again. I am sure you wouldn't have liked to have been left on the outside of the ship instead of the inside where it is a bit safer."

She reached across him and slammed her hand onto a control which closed up the cargo bay doors halfway, giving them some cover should someone approach.

"As for Roman, he is in the med bay and hooked up to a pretty good gorram state of the art piece of diagnostic equipment. Feel free to link your CorPad up to the network here to download all you need to know. We weren't exactly going to send it to you in advance. Security protocols and all. I don't have your skill set, so determining organic reasons from those that were programmed is your job."

And what did he mean by the blonde statement. It made no sense. She went ahead and clarified it anyway.

"And no one is on the ship who is blond, so I think we are safe."

She inhaled through her nose then, getting a full exposure to his scent.

"Gorram it..." she sighed. "You smell good."

Where'd that come from? she thought as she stepped back and surveyed him. After a moment, she turned to Tanith.

"I'm taking Dr. Rice to the med bay. Just yell when you need me to heat Darwin up," she turned and pinned Rice's gaze again. "Come on."

With that, she strode forward, leading the way to the med bay. When she got to the door, she turned to face Aeryn's quarters.

"Aeryn! We're gonna take on fire soon. I need you below to help out with our new engineer!" she yelled. "We need to get gone as soon as possible."
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Episode 1: An Uncomfortable Proposal · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Top RP Sites
Finding Serenity The Vow
ALL Firefly, Serenity material including characters, Firefly/Serenity photos & graphics belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, 20th Century Fox, and Universal Studios. The 'Verse Online is NOT affiliated with any of the above. We make no profit, nor do we ever intend to.
Created by Vocal. of Zathyus Networks